Non-motoring > iPhone Apps. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 16

iPhone Apps. - Badwolf
Morning all,

I've just joined the herd by replacing my HTC with an iPhone. Is there an app that I can put on my home screen to turn the wi-fi on and off without going through the 'Settings' menu every time? I've had a gander in the App Store but can't find anything.

Many thank yous.
 iPhone Apps. - VxFan
Why bother turning it on and off?

I leave mine switched on all the time, and it will only kick in when it detects a wifi signal.

Doesn't seem to affect battery performance whether left on or off (I tried it) unlike leaving 3G left switched on.
 iPhone Apps. - Iffy
Which signal does Badwolf's Vodafone signal booster box use?

Obviously, he needs to leave that switched on for the booster to work.

iPhone Apps. - Badwolf
I only need wi-fi turned on when I'm at home, and I'm a little concerned about leaving wi-fi on when I'm oot and aboot. I've heard tales of scoundrels locking on to wi-fi activated phones and carry out all sorts of nefarious activities.

The Sure Signal thingy boosts the 3G reception, so that's not really a problem.
 iPhone Apps. - rtj70
Can you not turn it on/off by pulling down the notification area and clicking on the icon in there. That's how it works on my Samsung Galaxy S.

Otherwise there are a few widgets that would do this. I could take a look.

You could also install something to turn it on/off automatically based on learned phone cell IDs. And in your case that would normally be the Sure Signal at home.
 iPhone Apps. - rtj70
Something like this:

tinyurl.com/android-wifi-on-off
 iPhone Apps. - Zero
>> I only need wi-fi turned on when I'm at home, and I'm a little concerned
>> about leaving wi-fi on when I'm oot and aboot. I've heard tales of scoundrels locking
>> on to wi-fi activated phones and carry out all sorts of nefarious activities.

Old wives tails, forget it.
 iPhone Apps. - Mike Hannon
Do old wives have tails?
I left mine years ago so I never got to find out and I've never noticed a tail on anyone else's,
 iPhone Apps. - Iffy
They have heads, but no tails.

iPhone Apps. - VxFan
>> Do old wives have tails?

Their puppies might.
 iPhone Apps. - bathtub tom
Were you breast-fed?
 iPhone Apps. - VxFan
Yep, straight from the tap is best.
 iPhone Apps. - Focusless
>> The Sure Signal thingy boosts the 3G reception, so that's not really a problem.

Basically it's a mini-basestation/transmitter providing its own signal; it doesn't 'boost' an existing one. All your phone's traffic (voice + data) goes down your broadband cable rather than clogging up your local basestation, which is why providers (ok Vodafone in this country) like them.
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 12:06
 iPhone Apps. - spamcan61
I did actually manage to get mine in a state where it was actually jamming my 3G coverage rather than enhancing it, but I can't reproduce that particular 'feature'.

By and large it does the job fine though, provided I don't start upload serious amounts of data on my ADSL line, then it falls over completely. Not a lot the femto can do about that I suppose, more an ADSL limitation. Certainly a big improvement in 3G indoor coverage, which is what I got it for - don't use it for data 'cos WiFi is free and 3G data isn't!
 iPhone Apps. - Zero
so do they charge you for data over your femtocell, even tho you are using your own broadband?

Thats a fabulous business model!
 iPhone Apps. - spamcan61
>> so do they charge you for data over your femtocell, even tho you are using
>> your own broadband?
>>
Yes, they sure do. Their argument is presumably that my packets are still chugging round their IMS/infrastructure so it costs them money. So WiFi it is.
 iPhone Apps. - Zero

>> Yes, they sure do. Their argument is presumably that my packets are still chugging round
>> their IMS/infrastructure so it costs them money. So WiFi it is.

Thats the whole point about the net, its not! Its chugging around everyone else infrastructure, all they have done is put a wrapper on it!
Latest Forum Posts