Non-motoring > Dyson vacuums. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 29

Dyson vacuums. - legacylad
My dear old Mum is finding it increasingly difficult to manouvre her old upright, so I thought I would treat her to a lighter, smaller vacuum.
The Dyson City springs to mind.Does anyone have experience of these, or any viable alternatives?
 Dyson vacuums. - Falkirk Bairn
Vax do a cheap lightweight cleaner £50-£60 - it sucks OK, easy to clean out and manageable by older person - not going to last donkey's years but OK.

Alternatively nip round and do the hoovering yourself and save £50.
 Dyson vacuums. - legacylad
Thanks FK,
I visit her several times a week but she likes to be independent! And i have caught her on a stool trying to change a bulb. Grrr.
Spending my money is not a problem where she is concerned, but I shall investigate the cheaper Vax option.
 Dyson vacuums. - CGNorwich
If price is not a problem have a look at Oreck. Extremely light weight. An elderly friend has one and rates it highly.

www.oreck.co.uk/products/vacuums.php

Dyson vacuums. - Dog
Have a look at the Miele ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Miele-Magazine-red-vacuum-cleaner/dp/B005ISUQ94/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319186953&sr=8-2
 Dyson vacuums. - -
>> www.oreck.co.uk/products/vacuums.php
>>

Agreed, light but tough, last for years and do the job properly, wouldn't have anything else.

Dyson vacuums. - Badwolf
>> If price is not a problem have a look at Oreck.

Holy cow! I've spent less on cars! :-)
 Dyson vacuums. - Zero
What, a hundred quid? I bought a Bosch for about the same and its rubbish. Never heard a bad word about Oreck.
Zero, I think the hundred quid you are looking at is the monthly rate for the X10 on credit! Cheapest Oreck is £229

Dyson vacuums. - Zero
>> Zero, I think the hundred quid you are looking at is the monthly rate for
>> the X10 on credit! Cheapest Oreck is £229

www.oreck.co.uk/products/cylinder.php/BB870ED
I stand corrected - I was looking at the uprights on my link
 Dyson vacuums. - Fenlander
For exactly the same reasons I bought my elderly mum a new Dyson DC24 lightweight upright earlier this year. It weighs the same as the City model and mum finds an upright easier to use, the slightly bent stance and scrubbing action needed with a cylinder model didn't appeal.

The DC24 is like a scaled down version of an upright and after several months she's still finding it perfect.

5yr in home warranty suited her circumstance too.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 09:53
 Dyson vacuums. - Iffy
Dysons are known to be noisy, so best to plug one in before buying.

I have two Henrys, they are quiet, but not light, or compact.

As gb says, Orecks are known to be light, although you have to buy a separate canister vacuum if you want suction on the end of a hose.

Dyson vacuums. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Vax do a cheap lightweight cleaner £50-£60 - it sucks OK, easy to clean out
>> and manageable by older person - not going to last donkey's years but OK.
>>
It certainly isn't going to last donkey's years, donkey's months if my experience of our last two is anything to go by.

Like Fen we got the Dyson DC24, very light and easy to use and even with two dogs gets the carpets nice and clean.

Dyson vacuums. - R.P.
Vax I bought was rubbish - bought it from Tesco when my first wife died - took it back and bought a Miele from Amazon. Very heavy. I would say the Dyson would fulfill the lightness requirement.
 Dyson vacuums. - Tigger
I too recommend the Oreck. Its even good at pet hairs.

The mini oreck is great for cleaning out the car. nice and powerful, decent bag size - way better than the dustbusters and such like I used to use
 Dyson vacuums. - devonite
Apparrently vacuum cleaner suction power is measured in "Air Watts" What the heck is a air-watt equivalent to??
Most seem to average 250-270 AW. with the "Pet" models about 300=330AW. ours is a 300 wheeled model (which almost lifts the carpet) and does a good job, an equivalent cylinder model would be hard work to push about, especially for an older person i should imagine!
 Dyson vacuums. - Zero
My bosch is 1000 watts. Electrical watts. No idea what air watts are.,

Shouldnt we be told about "flow", ie litres of air per minute?
 Dyson vacuums. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Apparrently vacuum cleaner suction power is measured in "Air Watts" What the heck is a
>> air-watt equivalent to??
>>
High "Air Watts" numbers sound impressive but don't always translate into how well the cleaner will pick up. The Vax I had quoted some enormous number and sounded like a 747 on take off but it just didn't lift the dirt anywhere near as well as the smaller Dyson we have now.
 Dyson vacuums. - Manatee
Which is the mini Oreck? The little cylinder job?
 Dyson vacuums. - -
Ebay item 260876671278

Upright vacuum plus hand held canister vacuum £143 the lot.
 Dyson vacuums. - MD
I hate Dyson. 1. It's so ruddy noisy I HAVE to leave the house. Not joking.
2. The tube pick up option on ours (hers) is not flexible enough.
3. I cannot abide form over function. Don't do marketing shtuff.

Give me HENRY any day.
 Dyson vacuums. - Ted

Henry without the bag's even better.......I have a redundant ex-house one in the workshop.

I bet it could suck a golf ball up a garden hose !

Ted
 Dyson vacuums. - Lygonos
Got an almost new one of these 5 years ago for under 100 notes on ebay:

www.greatvacs.com/media/kirby-models/DSC00038.sized.jpg

Kirby Generation 4 - made from aluminium, rather heavy....

but has power assistance so goes over the carpets like a fiend with almost no pressure required.

Another device that turned out to be much better than expected:

www.amazon.co.uk/Gtech-SW04-NiMH-Cordless-Sweeper/dp/B002F9MVQ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319238478&sr=8-3

Like the old Ewbanks but with a rechargeable battery - cost about 30 quid from QVC and it works very well for picking up detritus off carpets and tiles - only drawback is it needs emptied after a couple of messy rooms (takes all of 15 seconds)

I reckon it weights about 3 lbs tops and my kids love to use it!
 Dyson vacuums. - Iffy
...Henry without the bag's even better...

Builders use them bagless, because the nails and small bits of rubble rip the bag to bits anyway.

It says not to do it in the instructions.

Henrys are good, sturdy workhorses, so don't seem to mind running without a bag.

Dyson vacuums. - swiss tony
>> 3. I cannot abide form over function. Don't do marketing shtuff.
>>
My pet hate too.
Pity EVERYTHING today is designed that way.
 Dyson vacuums. - Zero
As long as it does the job well, I see no reason why it can not look nice to the eye, or be appreciated in some other tactile way.

Just like cars
>> As long as it does the job well, I see no reason why it can
>> not look nice to the eye, or be appreciated in some other tactile way.
>>
>> Just like cars
>>
WHEN...it does the job well, I agree.
Just like cars;
Low profile tyres?
small mirrors?
letterbox windows?
Etc etc etc....
 Dyson vacuums. - Zero
but in your world we would all drive around in Nissan Cubes.
>> but in your world we would all drive around in Nissan Cubes.
>>
You might.
I wouldn't.
Latest Forum Posts