Non-motoring > compact digital camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 24

compact digital camera - Zero
needs to be simple to use, cheapish, stylish, and good pictures.

Currently in the frame is the Nikon S3100 Coolpix red. £71.99

Any others i should be considering?
 compact digital camera - rtj70
Surprised you don't already have another camera fitting that description.

www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cps3100

I'd rate a Nikon and you will know this camera won't be brilliant in low light conditions etc. But isn't this rechargeable and you prefer to use rechargeable AAA/AA batteries? Although a spare is cheap.

For those wanting to re-focus their photos after they've taken the picture:

www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 21:05
The sony cybershot gave up the ghost, and this is for Nicole.
 compact digital camera - Iffy
I have a Coolpix S210 which is several years old.

Nicely made and still going strong, not that I use it a lot.

compact digital camera - RattleandSmoke
Me and my sister bought that Nikon for my mothers birthday present, seems like a good camera. No manual controls though, instead you have to use the manual scene selector.

Also recommend Panasonic Lumix highly, bought my bridge in January 2007 costing just over £200 and taken 10000's of pictures with it. Battery still holds a good charge and it is still in perfect working order. It is the single best electrical item I have ever bought.
 compact digital camera - Ted

I have a Samsung of some sort and it's fine for me but I've been gricing their new Multiview camera, currently on TV ads.

Looks a nice bit of kit but it's £250...which, at my level of photography skills, puts me off a bit !

Ted
Woah guys We are talking the 70 quid mark target here....
 compact digital camera - Dulwich Estate
How about;

Panasonic Lumix FS16 Digital Camera - Black £71.98 @Amazon
 compact digital camera - R.P.
Bargain.
 compact digital camera - henry k
I want one that does this
www.lytro.com/living-pictures/281?utm_source=Embed&utm_medium=EmbedLink/281

www.lytro.com/camera
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 00:39
 compact digital camera - Fenlander
As you are drawn to the Nikon Zero for an extra £3 look at the S5100. Superior optical image stabilisation, closer focussing (20mm as opposed to the 310's rather lengthy 100mm) and 12mp rather than 14 so perhaps better images.

www.shop.bt.com/products/nikon-coolpix-s5100-compact-digital-camera---12-2-mpix---5x-optical-zoom---red-7PP3.html

You may prefer it but after a Sony the Nikon images might look a little bland straight from the camera.

Also I find the rounded edges of this Nikon with no real grip makes it a bit hard to hold.
 compact digital camera - rtj70
>> I want one that does this

See my reply above about focusing after taking pictures :-)
 compact digital camera - CGNorwich

Although I use a Nikon DSLR I prefer Canon's compact cameras. The Powershot A1200 is worth looking at.

www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-Camera-Powershot-A1200/dp/B004I1KWKU
>>
>> Although I use a Nikon DSLR I prefer Canon's compact cameras. The Powershot A1200 is
>> worth looking at.

Indeed it is, and if mine it would be high on the list.

Female logic at work here tho, its not a pretty colour is it, and wont match the colour of the Blackberry gel skin.

A red camera takes better pictures apparently.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 12:39
 compact digital camera - Iffy
...A red camera takes better pictures apparently...

I think it was Fenlander's daughter who was keen on a red laptop.

Gadgets generally appeal more to men than women, so getting the ladies interested is a good move if the manufacturer can manage it.

The marketing boys know a thing or two.

Similarly in my game most newspaper buyers are men, so the unexploited market is women.

And the only paper to have done a proper job of that is the Daily Mail with its Femail section.

Which explains in part why the paper is so successful.

Anyway, back to digital cameras.

Then go for the A800. £20 cheaper and available in red. What's not to like?

www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-A800-Digital-Camera/dp/B004HKJUKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319216805&sr=8-1
Thanks CG, thats a good one. and its cheaper.

But ( sigh ) canon is not cool apparently?

And we all know "cool" cameras take better pictures.

Looks like I am stuck!
Well I tried!
I showed her the picture and everything!
 compact digital camera - Dog
Howl abowt a purple samsong then ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-PL120-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B004INGFJ0/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319221017&sr=1-19
 compact digital camera - swiss tony
>> Howl abowt a purple samsong then ~
>>
Purple is Soooooooooooo last year!
I had a purple bike in 64, a Reg Harris (I think it was)
someone nicked it from outside my ground floor council flat, Camberwell sowf London :(
 compact digital camera - bathtub tom
www.luvzbluez.com/purple.html

I know this is the second time I've posted this today, but it's appropriate.
When I'm an Old Man

Contrary to what my children think, I'm not close to being an old man yet. But I do have plans already laid out for when I get closer to the three-quarter century mark. I want to be a grumpy old cuss, just like a few I've met already.

When I'm an old man, I'll shop every week at a local deli counter. I'll ask for smoked turkey and, when the poor clerk asks how much I want, I'll impatiently blurt, "I told you I want a pound!" Also, no matter how they slice my order, it won't be right the first try. When they're done and hand the bag of deli meat over, I'll whimper that it doesn't look at all like roast beef.

When I'm an old man, I'll drive at least fifteen miles per hour under the speed limit. Should anyone angrily honk at me, I'll cheerfully wave as though greeting an old friend. I won't use turning signals, but when I do turn I'll come almost to a complete stop before turning.

When I'm an old man, I want to stand in the church foyer and complain about how the young people dress, as if they're advertising sex. I'll make sure to pull someone aside, via holding tightly to their arm so they can't get away, and explain how, in my day, people didn't even know sex existed until the age of forty.

When I'm an old man, I want to smell like feet. Seriously, I do.

I want to go to a restaurant every Sunday at 6:45 a.m. and bang on the door for service. Especially if they're already open.

• When I'm an old man, I'm going to call my children at two in the morning and ask why they aren't in bed yet.

• Even if my hearing is perfect, I'll ask, "Huh?" enough times that, when a stranger is talking to me, they end up shouting. Then I'll irritably say not to yell because I'm not deaf, you know.

When I'm an old man, I'll bring my car to the shop every other week fifteen minutes before closing and ask them to check the air pressure, oil level, blinkers, coolant level, windshield washer fluid, steering fluid, and to test the battery. Basically have them go over everything that's a free service.

Since I'll be an old man and will be able to get away with it, I'm going to barge into a public ladies restroom and, when the women in there are shocked, say I thought it was a telephone booth.

All young men will remind me of Ted Koppel (who?), and all young women will remind me of Brooke Shields.

And when I'm an old man, I'm going to wear denim overalls with no shirt and sit on my front porch with a banjo on my lap. Any out-of-towners driving by will get an evil look, just like in Deliverance.

That's what I call a good retirement.

The deed is done. Nikon 3100 in red it is.

My local comet has it priced up at £79.95, I showed the manger my iphone with a web page from Amazon, same camera priced at £71.99, so he let me have it at £72 quid,

Maybe I'll post a review after Nicole opens her birthday pressie in two weeks time.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 22 Oct 11 at 21:58
Latest Forum Posts