Non-motoring > RIP Maummar Gaddafi Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 51

RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Robin O'Reliant
Well, someone had to say it...
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - R.P.
Yep - torn between supporting what was an extra-judicial execution and knowing how he visited death and misery on untold thousands across the world including our own country and did so without a second thought.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - bathtub tom
Good material for the next series of Old Harry's Game.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Zero
RIP Maummar Gaddafi?

Think someone beat you too it. Funny how the dead bodies of these types always get dragged around the town behind a Toyota flat bed.
Apparently he was shot when he misunderstood one of his bodyguard who shouted, "Gaddafi, duck!". He turned and said, "Where?"

(Mods, if that is considered in poor taste please delete).
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Iffy
Looks like he spent his last hours hiding in a hole in the ground, same as Saddam Hussein.

Must be the climate over there.

RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Stuu
Theres hundreds where he came from.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - rtj70
The end result was inevitable. Sadly thousands more have died in Libya in the months following the 'revolution'. If only he'd been able to concede his rule was over and was allowed to leave - I am sure that could have been arranged. Yet I doubt he could accept that after 42 years of being a dictator - he must have believed some of what he said.

What now of his spokesperson too - reminds of the Iraqi spokesperson that was saying there were no tanks when they were essentially behind him.

I am glad he didn't get tried for war crimes - he'd have then been locked up for life at the cost of the rest of us.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 20:56
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - RattleandSmoke
My sisters friends sister was bought up in Libya (she is half English) and since the troubles has moved back to England.

Some of the stories are truly horrific but sadly there the world are full of evil people like him.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Lygonos
"Libya al-Hurra TV, a local channel, is reporting a doctor in Tripoli as saying celebratory fire has left more than 60 people injured, seven seriously."

Apparently firing a rifle into the air means having a bullet returning to earth at 200+mph (terminal velocity) - capable of penetrating a human skull.
hundreds of people die every year from celebratory bullets fire in the air. Every single one has to come down somewhere.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Ted

2200 news said both his sons had been ' dealt with ' as well.

Saif was reported badly injured and the other killed.

Dragged out of a hole in the ground...fitting for one who called his fellow countrymen ' Rats '.

Ted
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Roger.
His successors will be just as bad.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - devonite
Funny how almost every prime minizter and American leader has to have their own "war"!
usually in the richer of the poorer countries. No one is doing anything about Mugabes genocidal rule over his country! Cant be anything there worth going in for!

I think "certain" parties HAD to make sure Gaddaffi was killed, he allegedly knew too much about certain governments back=door dealings! - now their secrets are safe.
Last edited by: devonite on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 02:02
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - -
I hope the new flavours of the month in oil rich states find their power enjoyable.

Better make the most of it and spend the loot, once you're no longer needed the gold plated pension seems to be lead tipped..
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Dog
>>I think "certain" parties HAD to make sure Gaddaffi was killed, he allegedly knew too much about certain governments back=door dealings! - now their secrets are safe<<

We think alike comrade devonike, I wonder who's next on the list ... Assad or Ahmadinnerjacket??
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Dutchie
Carefull YOU might be on a list..:)
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Dog
>>Carefull YOU might be on a list..:)<<

Many a true word spoken in jest!

About 7 or so years ago I was warned by a Mossad agent (in Holland) that they would track me down via my ISP.

Funny old life :)
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Bromptonaut
The future may still be bleak. No longer united by getting Gadaffi the disparate groups will focus on their internal differences.
I found you.;) List tosh I;m to knackered to be any use to anybody.Never believe what you see on mainsteam news.Gadaffi wy wasn;t he kept alive we might have found out a lot more.

Convently killed the dead can't speak.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - helicopter
Its not just rifle bullets either , lots of anti aircraft shells apparently have been fired off in celebration which is why the BBC female reporter on the 24 hour channel at 11 pm last night was in body armour and helmeted in the middle of Tripoli .........

Anyway , as far as Gaddaffi is concerned , good riddance I say .
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Cliff Pope
There is some debate over the extent of the danger from falling bullets.
Two factors suggest that the stories of injuries or deaths may be exaggerated or mis-atributed:
1) The bullet will be falling at terminal, not muzzle velocity.
2) Bullets fall blunt-end downwards.
3) There is a much greater risk of being hit by ricochets or debris from surrounding buildings.

Or by simply being in the way of the gunman.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - HF
but why did we, as england, have to get involved? I believe it's because cameron wanted the glory of a war to keep up with his predecessors.

I have it from the horses' mouths, so to speak, that most arab muslims still regard gaddafi as a hero.

I just dread the possibilty that they will try to take revenge on us. my friends wouldn't, but i fear many would
(We, as the UK)

Knowing a few Libyan doctors I can assure you that the general feeling towards Gadaffi from the populace was not positive.

One of my colleagues has (?had) a hatred towards that burned hotter than anything I've ever seen towards one of our own politicians.

Why did we need to be involved? Well we didn't, but if we hadn't Gadaffi would've done what he had to with his airforce to ensure the events of last week didn't happen.

Despite this, I think a transition to a representative government would have been the best option but whether this would have been possible while Gadaffi had a pulse is debatable (personally I think not - see Zimbabwe for 'democracy in Africa')
Also spoke to a Libyan doctor whilst on holiday in Tunesia.

I was surprised at the hatred towards Gadafi.The doctor kept calling him a stupid bediun.

But how was he allowed to rule if he was that thick?

The Libyan people never got the benefits from all that oil money.
>> but why did we, as england, have to get involved? I believe it's because cameron
>> wanted the glory of a war to keep up with his predecessors.

Yup, they all need one, its a tick on the CV,

>>
>> I have it from the horses' mouths, so to speak, that most arab muslims still
>> regard gaddafi as a hero.

Depends which tribe you talk to. Libya is a mixture of them.

>> I just dread the possibilty that they will try to take revenge on us. my
>> friends wouldn't, but i fear many would

In this case? unlikely - the guys who now control the guns and bombs over there are grateful, for now.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - HF
>>In this case? unlikely - the guys who now control the guns and bombs over there are grateful, for now.

Hope you're right. Let's hope it lasts a while.
Its likely to split into civil war if the truth be told.
Very likely unless they can get a representative government up-and-running within a few months.
A likely outcome is an Islamic party to win an election, followed in time by a military coup clandestinely backed by the US.

And eventually back where we came in, with a fruitcake running the country.
Based on strong tribal influences in east and west... should never have been one country. Britain are probably implicated in how the area was divided (again). We have a history for this. Look at Iraq.

But I am probably wrong again on Britain messing up?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 24 Oct 11 at 22:26
More likely the Italians...
You're probably right on Italy. But Britain has messed up a lot before. And so I was thinking what we might have had in north Africa after world war two.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - CGNorwich
It's complicated, as history always is. Might as well blame the Ancient Greeks or the Romans or the Ottoman Turks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libya
Greeks have enough problems. Perhaps we blame to Turks? I'd say Romans but Italy has problems now* :-)

* I know Italy is a relative modern concept and the Roman Empire pre-dates it. But we have pedants on here like me. And pendants like Rattle.
We did our share of carving up Africa !
Indeed we did but w were not really major players in the history of Libya. Not all the world's problems are down to us!

p.s I see that Tripoli was once ruled by the Norman, King Roger II of Sicily. I hold him personally responsible for all the subsequent ills befalling the country.
Blame the Carthaginians.
They lived next door in current Tunisia
exactly, always blame the neighbours.
That's what the Romans thought. Carthage was totally destroyed and the entire population wiped out or sold into slavery by the Romans in an early version of Shock and Awe
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Bromptonaut
Qadhaffi buried today according to BBC;

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15441867

Meanwhile, next door, Tunisia has elected a minority gov with Islamists as largest party. Is their religion the one thing that unites the disparate peoples of these former colonies?
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Chris S
Did he remind anyone else of a Bond villain?

Not only did he have a team of female bodyguards he also had a golden gun. He'd have probably lived in a hollow volcano if there had been any in Libya.
I think he built one
Actually there is a volcano - Waw an Namus which apparently means Oasis of Mosquitos. Needs checking out by an army of ninjas
Wow - I'm impressed you know that ! He was certainly larger than life - and larging it up - don't blame him really.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - HF
Hi. I don't presume to know more than anybody else.

All of what i have said before on this subject is because i know quite closely some algerian people who live right next door to libya.

i didn't enjoy the pictures of gaddafi being shot any more than i enjoyed those os hussein being hanged.

my belief is that we shouldn't ever have involved ourselves in these things. My closest friend in the world regards gaddafi as a hero

This is a very difficult time and i am finding it quite hard, because of my friend
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - henry k
>>This is a very difficult time and ii am finding it quite hard, because of my friend
>>
Be warned ! The latest Channel 4 news this evening makes even worse reading.

Warning - nasty details !
www.channel4.com/news/gaddafi-buried-at-dawn-in-secret-location
plus the news clip on the item
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - devonite
>>Waw an Namus

Are you sure thats spelt right? - me thinks the "M" should be "N", that would suit Goddaffi better!
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - Manatee
I profess no special knowledge of Libya, or Gaddafi. The Libyans seem pleased on the whole.

What some people perhaps aren't aware of is that Libya apparently had pretty well the highest levels of literacy and life expectancy in Africa, with welfare provisions and free healthcare. It did of course have advantages in oil wealth compared with most of Africa.

Without the shootings and state sponsored terrorism he would have got a better press.

So says en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi
He could have made it work - but ultimately he was a potty, ignorant, peasant who got into power by being in the right place with the right connections (and hairdo) - A sunburnt Adolf Hitler - At least he was made to suffer in the end like many he murdered by proxy- good riddance.
 RIP Maummar Gaddafi - HF
Trust me, being stuck in the middle is really tough.
Latest Forum Posts