Non-motoring > New pressure washer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WobblyDog Replies: 27

New pressure washer - WobblyDog
I need to get a new pressure washer (I can wee with more power than my old one) and it looks like Lidl have got one coming up this week tinyurl.com/ya4qzry

A couple of questions:

Does anyone have any experience of the washers from Lidl or Aldi - I assume it's probably a reasonable make rebranded? The specific washer on sale from Thursday seems to have a pretty good spec.

Secondly would anyone know if my existing Karcher accessories will fit the Lidl model (i.e. Karcher bayonet fittings for lances etc.).

For £80 and a 3 year warranty I suspect I'll give it a bash anyway but would appreciate any thoughts!
 New pressure washer - MrTee43
I bought a pressure washer from Lidl, maybe 4 years ago.

It came with a load of accessories and have to say, it has done all the jobs asked of it, pressure washing the algae off walls, cleaning the underside of our car and van etc etc.

Still going strong and a bargain compared to more well known makes.

I don't know if your exisiting lances will fit, but I got enough with mine to cover all my required jobs.

As you say for the money with a 3 year warranty, you cannot go wrong IMO.
 New pressure washer - Stuu
Im using an £80 Karcher atm and its been excellent given near daily use. Anything more powerful is of no real use to clean cars.
 New pressure washer - Iffy
Worth buying the patio cleaner attachment, if you have a patio to clean.

The Karcher one is usually around £60, although I think there is a B&Q own brand for a lot less.
 New pressure washer - Skip
"Worth buying the patio cleaner attachment, if you have a patio to clean."

I agree, i bought a Karcher pressure washer complete with the patio cleaner attachment in Tesco for £99 last week and it is brilliant, it bought the slabs up really well and unlike using the lance to clean them there was no water/dirt on me or up the walls etc !
 New pressure washer - Bellboy
just make sure where the water pipes attach looks up to the job
im sure all machines are basically the same under the hood
 New pressure washer - smokie
Apparently better ones have a metal pump not a plastic one.
Well, just been to have a look at mine, bought from Lidl years ago and all the fittings that I can see are brass, including all the ends of the lances.

The model that was being sold at that time was the Lavor KW 26

Mine came with a standard lance, another that had a sort of rotating jet at the end which gave a circular jet for cleaning paths etc and a car cleaning rotary brush.

Pictures and specs here.I seem to recall, I paid 79.99 for the lot.

www.jet-wash-direct.co.uk/pressurewashers/kw26.html

From looking elsewhere, it has an induction motor inside which is much more reliable than a brush motor.

Anyway, no complaints from me.

New pressure washer - Stuartli
About six years ago I bought a Challenge upright style pressure washer at Argos for £49.99. It is mainly used a couple of times a year to keep two large areas of flagstones clean - a job which takes several hours - and is rarely turned off during the period it is in use.

On top of that, Argos gave a free portable Challenge vacuum cleaner (the small Black and Decker type used to clean car interiors etc) with the pressure washer, which was normally £30 on its own..:-)

Argos still does the brand. This is the nearest equivalent and even cheaper:

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7403844.htm
 New pressure washer - WobblyDog
Thanks MrTee et al - I think I'll go for the Lidl one and try it. I've already got one of the Karcher patio cleaner devices but my existing Karcher washer doesn't have the power to get it "hovering". I've got about 1000 square feet of patio to do so it should be a good test.
 New pressure washer - Zero
I am in the process of trying to repair an Aldi pressure washer. It lasted two years.
One of the seals around the pressure switch has gone, squirting water into the switch assembly.
 New pressure washer - rtj70
Oh dear. I bought one of those too! Still working the last time I used it. In storage for when we move back to a new house. Still homeless :-)
a t15 star driver, philips, flatblade and a set of allen keys is all thats required to strip her down. The internals look ok, I think its just the seal where the plastic pressure switch / vacuum detergent bleed assembly slips into the body of the pump head. There is a bracket over it to hold it all in place and its looks like it doesent.

Silican sealant and a washer on the top to provide more downwards pressure may have fixed it. Let you know when the silicon is cured and reassembled.
And the result isssssssssssssssss

DADAH

Its

In the bin. The pump housing is split along a manufacturing seam.

Reinforces my feelings that on the whole Aldi stuff is variable. Variable from Tat to average at best.
 New pressure washer - bathtub tom
Could it have been left with water in it and froze?

I destroyed a Karcher that way :>(
Nah, it failed last october, so I decided to leave it till the spring.
 New pressure washer - Bellboy
annoying isnt it when you strip something down but have to fail in the mission of repair :-(
its nice to know how things tick though like the electric power steering motor on most cars is a glorified wiper motor with brushes etc
But does it not have 3 year warranty as per normal ?

I have had one thing fail from Aldi and that was a pocket pc/gps navigation device. I had this mounted on my motorcycle on a trip through France, and eventually the power cable would not stay in and it turned out that the connector on the device had broken.

When I got home, I phoned them up, gave them the serial number and that set things in motion.

A courier called and picked it up and a few days later returned it, repaired.

Brilliant service.

As for their stuff being tat, I think your just a snob.

My Experience From Aldi

Combi Microwave, mylar cavity cover caught fire - two years
Angle grinder - Lock button fell off
Electric paint sprayer - one pump slide siezed - running on spare.
Steam cleaner - working but not very effective.
Small portable radio - deaf as a post, drifts, picks up interference better than radio waves.
17 inch flat screen TV - very poor quality panel, with a very small viewing angle.
Blood pressure monitor - useless and sent back for refund.
Pressure washer - in the bin.

Aldi port - foul stuff, only fit for paint sprayer.

Snob? nah just worn out by their Tat.
 New pressure washer - Runfer D'Hills
Thought you Surrey types only shopped in Waitrose and John Lewis ?

Or won't they let you in the car park now with your "new" car ?

Have you had to go to Essex to shop or something ?

:-)
Its the east end barra boy in me Humph. You can take the boy our of the market, but you cant etc...

Yes still shop in Waitrose. Our one is great, the entrance is so tight the mummies cant fit the XC90s or X5s in.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 13 Apr 10 at 20:04
 New pressure washer - Runfer D'Hills
Heh heh ! Reminds me of an ex-boss of mine. He was given a Volvo 960 estate as his company car but preferred to continue to drive his old MGB roadster to work. He donated the Volvo to his wife who wiped the side of it down the same gatepost three times in one year. Despairing of that he took it back but had a habit of leaving the sunroof open while it was in the company car park. Some jokers, decided one day to chuck some broken up bread in through the open roof while there were seagulls about.........Incontinent seagulls and velour upholstery..........

:-)))
Oh and just to even things up

Aldi bathroom mixer tap, cheap and good value working well.
Lidl 30gb hard drive Mp3 player, exceptional value, even two years down the line
 New pressure washer - Stuartli
£5.99 four port powered USB hub bought at Lidl - mains adapter failed after 18 months.

Found, to my surprise, it had a three-year warranty, so rang the Silvercrest UK support line.

Result: One new mains adapter despatched from Germany which arrived two or three days later, accompanied by a letter apologising for the original's failure, but pleased to be able to help a valued customer.
 New pressure washer - Crankcase
>> My Experience From Aldi
>>
SQ

Not a man who learns from experience then, Zero? :)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 13 Apr 10 at 21:10
Yes clearly. Bit like gambling I suppose..... One more bet will do it, just one more.
 New pressure washer - smokie
I thought I'd heard that all their stuff was guaranteed for 3 years, and of people getting refunds at 2 years +. Probably wrong though...
 New pressure washer - rtj70
Our pressure washer was working the last time I used it. Used to clean to patio when trying to sell the house. I assume when I get it from the parents in law (new house next month I hope) it will still work. It might not be needed the same without a patio under trees and birds!

If it fails and I still need one I will pay the extra and get a Karcher I think. But it was easy to modify a Karcher add on the the Aldi washer with a file.
Latest Forum Posts