Non-motoring > Where's your pin going to be stuck? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 33

Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Iffy
Any tips for the big race at Aintree today?

I'm one of those once a year punters.

My thanks to bookmaker Paddy Power who emailed me to say there's still £10 left in my online account from last year.

I might just add another tenner and stake the lot, but what on?

My biggest National coup was backing Party Politics because there was an election in the air.

Nothing so obviously named this year, apart from State of Play, a 14-1 shot, according to Paddy.

I'm no housewife, but I'm tempted to back McCoy's horse, and the lady jockey Nina Carberry looks to have a genuine chance.

So what's your National routine? And what, if anything, will you be backing?

Loads of sites, but if anyone does want a clickable link to the field:

www.paddypower.com/racing/daily-racing/aintree/grand-national-1424210.html
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Dog
It's anyones race really but if I was going to flash the cash, I'd put £10 ew on Nozic (4fun)
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Robin O'Reliant
I'd pick a long shot, 50 or 66/1 and go for a straight win. The race is a bit of a lottery, but if you do get lucky it will be worthwhile.
Thought this thread might have provoked a bit more interest than it has.

Perhaps we prefer our horsepower to be powered by petrol.

The Ifithelps family fortune will be carried by Dream Alliance, State of Play, Big Fella Thanks, and the horses currently due to be ridden by Tony McCoy and Nina Carberrry.

Where's your pin going to be stuck? - smokie
So, McCoy won, you must now be rich?

As a family we put in £60 and got back a bit over £70 - plus some free bets for opening accounts in various places.
...So, McCoy won, you must now be rich?...

Done quite well, I had £2.50 each way on each horse.

Total stake: £25.00, total returns: £76.25.

Already paid into my online account.

Where's your pin going to be stuck? - CGNorwich

£10 each way on King John's Castle and it wouldn't even start.

Any one want a tip for the Derby?
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Bellboy
mugs game
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Zero
>> mugs game

who is riding it and whats the odds?
>> mugs game
>>
Not so.

The only mugs are the ones who bet with money they can't afford to lose while chasing an impossible dream. For the vast majority of punters horse racing is a very cheap form of entertainment. A five quid combination bet can give you a whole afternoons entertainment in front of the box with the chance of a decent (and perhaps lucrative) return.

Cheaper than going to the pictures.
meet a man that does the gee gees and you will also meet a man that feeds gaming machines
its a drug just like drink and fags
its a very rare soul that can only bid a £5 and then walk away
...its a drug just like drink..

The devil came and took me
From bar to street to bookie

Happily, gambling has not been one of my vices over the years.

My last bet - I think - was the National last year, and I've no plans to 'reinvest' any of my winnings from today.

>>> For the vast majority of punters horse racing is a very cheap form of entertainment <<<

That's quite correct RR, my 84 year old FiL can't get out & about much these days but he luvs doing the orses,
even if he does lose a few quid.
His neighbour, some 58 year old beatnik, won enough last week to finance the purchase of a 40" telly.
Obviously he's paid for it 10 times over through the years, but he's happy!
>> Cheaper than going to the pictures.

I can go to the dogs, sit down, have a nice meal, couple of drinks and some lady comes round, takes two quid of me and comes back with 5 or 6 nearly every race.

Free evening.
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Pat
Would that be our local dog track Zero?

I ask because we have our firms 2010 Christmas do booked there because we've outgrown the local pub at Thorney Toll. Can you recommend it?

Pat
Not my local, but if you are talking about Peterborough dogs, then yes I have had a saturday night there in the last 12 months, and I can thoroughly recomend it.

It has a bright modern new main stand, mostly built around a resturant. All the resturant seats have good views of the track which is well lit. The food is good for such a venue, and arrives hot. Drinks orders are taken at your table, and arrive speedily. A girl from the tote
(girl? she was older than my grandma) arrives in the nick of time at your table just before the hare leaves it box, and will take your bet.

Parking is easy, and booking in / table arrival is speedy.

All in all, A good party night out.

If its your first dog racing event, A dog race card can be confusing. Check the web on how to read it (they all use the same format - Peterborough does)
Betting is easy - stick one or two quid on a win, place or show (win = win, Place = 1 or 2, show = 1 or 2 or 3) per race (lot of races in the evening so dont lash out two much per race) A dog is at its peak speed at two years old, at its most canny at 3. A b i t c h peaks at 3 and is canny at 3. Watch the odds fall just before the hare, that where the smart money is going. Watch a dogs body language on the Parade.

And here is my wining strategy that paid for the entire eveing and drinks at Peterborough.
There was a lot of dogs on the card from ireland ( 1 or two per race) with no past form.
Looking at them on the parade they appeared fit and up for it. So I bet on those.
I wouldnt go so far to say they were ringers, but close.

Horse racing is one of the most exciting sports you can watch live. Sanitised TV pictures dont do it justice, the noise and the speed of the horses as they pass by has to be seen to be believed. A grand day out.
the noise and the speed of the horses as they pass by has to be seen to be believed
>
>> what do you do for the rest of the time though in the freezing rain?
hope the stewards open the gates to let you through to the main stand where you can stand out of the wind and rain?
I've never actually been to a horse racing venue,
but I used to go out totting with a mate who's dad had an Orson Cart.
Similar to horse racing really - one is trying to take the lead whereas the former is trying to strip the lead ;)
>> >> what do you do for the rest of the time though in the freezing
>> rain?
>> hope the stewards open the gates to let you through to the main stand where
>> you can stand out of the wind and rain?
>>
>>
My dear Bellboy, you are obviously a pampered old townie with no appreciation of those finer country pursuits that give one a rounded persona. Throw off those brothel creepers, get yourself a Barbour and a pair of stout walking boots and go out and see what you have been missing.
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Fenlander
>>>Horse racing is one of the most exciting sports you can watch live.

Absolutely. National Hunt for us.... been attending the Cheltenham Festival in March for most of the past 35yrs... the Mrs has been going there since she was 4.

The freezing weather over the winter is indeed part of it at times but have you been to a decent course recently Bellboy? When you are paying £100+ for a days ticket the facilities/food/Guinness/champagne are actually quite nice.

Having said that at smaller courses you can get close to the action right on the rail.

We are horse folks first and betting second so the odds are never more than extra entertainment but a good win never comes amiss.
...Horse racing is one of the most exciting sports you can watch live...

Certainly is.

I like to go out on the course and stand near a fence, you can hear the jockeys talking to each other as they gallop past.

It is a tremendous thing to see and hear a closely bunched field leap over a fence or a hurdle from about 10 feet away.

I forget how many thousands of winners McCoy has, but it's a massive achievement just to get round that many times, let alone finish in front in each race.
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Fenlander
Pat the good lady has a fair few work socials there (P.boro) and everyone always has a good time. I regard it as a bit tame after the horses but that doesn't take anything away from what is a fun night out.

Regarding the *tricks" a couple of guys that used to work for me also *worked* the dog tracks with a couple of their own and some borrowed dogs. The stuff they would get up to put me right off any serious betting on dogs!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 11 Apr 10 at 12:11
Havent been to a dog track or a horse racing meeting since 1972 and i like it that way.
>> Havent been to a dog track or a horse racing meeting since 1972 and i
>> like it that way.
>>
You lost your shirt, didn't you ;-)
Well thanks, both Zero and Fenlander.

It sounds like it will be a good night out and I will try and study form a bit.
I do hope their up to the lorry drivers version of Living Next Door to Alice, though.

Pat
whose Alice?
>> whose Alice?
>>
Get with it Daddio, it's the latest thing in hip sounds -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVLeUFW-AM
>> >> whose Alice?
>> >>
>> Get with it Daddio it's the latest thing in hip sounds -
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVLeUFW-AM

Errrr I dont think you have heard the truckers version of Alice!

Beware - link not clickable - rude words ahead

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrfovOPcjk
Now where did you learn that Zero?!

Pat
Its not the sole property of truckers Pat.The aussies and the dutch claim to have invented this version. It was certainly doing the rounds of clubs in amsterdam in 1995, and is hilarious sung by clubbers with a dutch accent

Alish, Alish who da fok is Alish.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 08:55
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Dulwich Estate
Mmmmm...!

And I thought this was going to be a thread about the General Election. Thankfully it isn't.

It's getting desperate on TV and in the papers now. Wasn't it BBC news on Saturday night saying something like.....tonight's headline... Cameron/Brown (whoever) met workers in a factory in someplace and then ...oh yes, ....in other news ....three quarters of the military and political leaders of Poland died today in plane crash.
thankfully its not as parochial as the states, there they dont even know what a poland is.
 Where's your pin going to be stuck? - Ted

It shows what they stoop to when the Maily Dail published a couple of pics today of wives.

Sarah, I think, had chosen to, respectfully, go barefoot in a Hindu Temple. Fairy Nuff.
But they had to have a picture of her and then, for Gawd's sake, highlight her bare foot with a blown up segment of the same picture.

It wasn't a bad foot, it didn't have 17 toes or was blue and yellow stripes ! It was just a foot !
I can't imagine it would influence anyones vote one way or t'other !

Pathetic.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts