Non-motoring > Aid Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 9

Aid - devonite
So, on the conservative party political broadcast last night, Cameron announced that 127 million £ (with more to follow)had been sent to The East Africa Appeal.

Forgive me if I sound heartless, but when they are cutting services and funding on virtually every single thing in this country, where did this money suddenly come from?,
and...
"at the drop of a hat"

If we can afford to spare this money to give away, lets put our own house in order first, then, we can help less fortunate countries.

This is nothing more than a "Look how good and caring a Conservative Britain is" - what a pugnacious, pious load of clap-trap!!!
 Aid - Dog
£127m ain't a lotta dosh really, in the grand scheme of things, like,

It's not as if we say "there ya go man, ere's 127 million squid 4U2 spend, like,

Plus ... it normally comes with strings (A. Cynic)

Now, you take QE1 - THAT is a serious amount of wonga = £200bn 2B precise,
and 'we' are now looking down the barrel of QE2!
 Aid - Iffy
Not cynical at all, Dog, accurate.

Aid is given for many reasons other than to benefit the aided.

The benefits to the giver in terms of international prestige, extra trade and so on are hard to quantify, but they do exist.

Aid - Dog
>>Aid is given for many reasons other than to benefit the aided.

The benefits to the giver in terms of international prestige, extra trade and so on are hard to quantify, but they do exist<<

That's what I was trying to say Iffy, but I'm not edumacated like all the others on this forum.

:)

Aid - Roger.
@Devonite: +1000 !
 Aid - Cliff Pope
One thing we obviously don't do is go up to a poor starving African and ask him what he would really need to repair his life. He might say, some firewood, a new tent, a cow, or some seed.
So obviously instead we give his president a load of money to buy arms, an airline, or to bribe his henchmen.
In return he will give one of our mining companies the right to dig up the poor African's pitiful plot and extract all the minerals.

Aid - movilogo
Don't know about the small prints of this aid, but often aids are conditional. Donor country often wins rights to develop infrastructure by their own companies and so on.

Aid - Cliff Pope
>> rights to develop infrastructure by their own companies
>>

That's a neat summary of my second paragraph :)
 Aid - -
Refreshing just how many can see through the propaganda here.
 Aid - Old Navy
Why isn't foreign aid just called "bribes".

Oh, silly me, that would mean a politician would have to tell the truth, no chance.
Latest Forum Posts