Non-motoring > Bathroom Stereo Speakers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 22

Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Alastairw
I like to listen to music while contemplating my naval in the bath. At present I turn up the stereo in the living room (I live on my own) loud enough to hear, but this is a bit antisocial so I got to wondering whether I could instal, say, some car speakers in the suspended bathroom ceiling? ISTR bellboy had done something similar in his kitchen. I should be grateful if the following queries could be answered:

1. Are car speakers available in the correct impedance (8 Ohm) for my amp?
2. Would I have to steam proof the speakers somehow?
3. Would bellwire be adequate or should I invest in proper speaker cable, bearing in mind my bathroom is not an ideal listening environment in the first place.

Thanks in advance (and thumb up thingies to the most helpful!)
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Zero
buy a boogie box and stick it on the shelf. Much easier

1/ Most car spkears are less but not much
2/ Nah
3/ Bellwire every time for me.
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - MD
I didn't want to click the thumb AE, but I agree. (With ALL of it)
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Bellboy
i have done the bathroom too
but in here i victorianed the walls halfway up with tongue and groove and put the speakers in it one by the toilet one by the door
they dont get wet ever and i use the gap to wall to produce the bass
i was going to put a large subwoofer in the airing cupboard but the other half objected---------
oh and for ease i used bellwire again but please if you can use even better wire then do, as i was constrained by budget at the time
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Iffy
What you don't want is a mains wired boom box perched on the ledge of the bath. :)

I have a cheap mini system on the bathroom windowsill, with the mains lead routed outside the room.

It's been there a couple of years and there's been no problem with condensation.

Even the remote still works, despite being used with wet hands.
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Fenlander
Blimey just how long do you guys spend in the bath? Once my newspaper starts to wilt I'm out of there.
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Zero
you dont have a library in the toilet?
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Fenlander
Book reading on the toilet fine....in the bath it's banned. Steam plays hell with the bindings.
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Stuartli
If you have a wireless internet connection, it's a straightforward process.
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Fursty Ferret
>> I have a cheap mini system on the bathroom windowsill with the mains lead routed
>> outside the room.
>>

That's just as dangerous TBH. Nothing mains powered should be in a bathroom other than the lights and a shaver socket. And the lights I put in are 12V LED.

For music in the bathroom, consider an O2 Joggler. Only £49 now and run on 5V which is safe if you knock it into the bath. Fantastic value for money; I'm half tempted to build one into the tiled wall.
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Bigtee
10 years ago we went to view a house and in the bathroom ceiling had 4x Bose speakers she must have spent some time in there!

If you have a good vent or the window open it should be ok just fit them a roll of speaker wire is cheap enough.
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Bagpuss
We have iPod stations in most of the rooms so we just take an iPod with us wherever we want music. The JBL one I have in my home office is very compact but produces an excellent sound. I hadn't considered putting one in the bathroom though to be honest
...I have a cheap mini system on the bathroom windowsill with the mains lead routed outside the room.>>...That's just as dangerous TBH...

Can't agree.

There's only a few inches of mains leading sticking through the hole, it can't drop into water even if I had a rush of blood and swept the whole thing off the windowsill, and you'd have to reach to do that.

If the installation is dangerous, then so is the light fitting in the ceiling.

Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Fursty Ferret
Ah, I see. I just assumed it could fall into the bath. Wouldn't do it personally, but to each his own I suppose.
...Ah, I see. I just assumed it could fall into the bath. Wouldn't do it personally...

Yes, it's on a window ledge, pushed well back, on the other side of the room to the bath.

There really is no risk of electrocution, but I might not have done it if anyone else used the bathroom, but they don't.

I did think about tacking the cable to the window frame, but decided that was overkill.

There is no slack, though.

Bathroom Stereo Speakers - Tooslow
Solution!! fwd.five.tv/gadgets/audio-video/iduck-wireless-speakers

JH
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - VxFan
Saw that episode last Monday, but couldn't find the link to the speaker duck.
They do look cool. Is the sound any good?
Well I went ahead and did it. Pair of 4.5 inch JVC speakers have now been mounted in the ceiling, wires past the cold tank, through the airing cupboard to the 'b' speaker sockets on the elderly amp. Sound pretty good, and look pretty neat, even if I say so myself.

Total cost £26 + some bad language from yours truely. I did use proper speaker cable in the end because it was cheap enough anyway.
...I did use proper speaker cable...

Wise move, particularly if the run was a few metres, which I imagine it must have been.

Bathroom Stereo Speakers - BobbyG
This has inspired me.
In the coming weeks, I am converting a small bedroom into an en-suite and immediately adjacent to the room is a small cupboard with power sockets.
So all I need to do is invest in a cheapish radio/cd unit , I already have a large roll of speaker cable and a couple of speakers suitable for ceiling mount and thats me sorted!!

In fact it would probably be possible to run cable to the other bathroom from there as well........
 Bathroom Stereo Speakers - BiggerBadderDave
I'm running a sweep on when Bobby burns his house down again. I've got first week in December.
...when Bobby burns his house down again..I've got first week in December....

Only if his neighbour doesn't do it first.

Think off all those summer barbecues, then there's November 5, which must be a very nervous time in the Bobby household.

Latest Forum Posts