Non-motoring > Food Banks. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 18

Food Banks. - Dutchie
Seeing people on the television having to go for free food because they can't afford to buy.

Are we going backwards to a society of the have and have nots.
 Food Banks. - Manatee
>> Are we going backwards to a society of the have and have nots.

We have been for some time.

In a market economy the job of politicians is to redistribute fairly the wealth that naturally accumulates to those who control capital. That job hasn't been done very well recently.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 2 Oct 11 at 13:02
 Food Banks. - -
the job of politicians is to redistribute the wealth to those who control capital, and themselves.
>>
Fixed that for you..;)

I think they've done an excellent job, and some of them have done very nicely for themselves too, our former leader of the party of the working man being particularly gifted at gathering lolly whilst he brings peace and democracy to the people he bombed to hell.

The problem with our society or the way it's managed is that professional scroungers can do nicely as they know how to milk everything, others get help from paid and volunteer organisations to obtain everything they can.

I have no problem with that so long as the need is genuine and those that receive have put in.

There are many people however who get little or no help when they need it, ironically usually those who were previously working hard for a living and are lost when their lives fall apart through job losses, marriage break up etc, no one to help them and not being regular claimants haven't a clue.
 Food Banks. - Dog
Excellent post gordon (as usual) how come you've been driving lorries all your life with a brain like that?

At least you didn't go to Eton, where you'd have learnt to cheat, lie, and swindle your way through life,

(among other things)
 Food Banks. - madf
>>
>> At least you didn't go to Eton, where you'd have learnt to cheat, lie, and
>> swindle your way through life,
>>
>> (among other things)
>>

I thought Tony Blair was educated in Scotland and never went to Eton...
Last edited by: madf on Sun 2 Oct 11 at 14:28
 Food Banks. - Roger.
Where's this food bank? I'd like to make a withdrawal.
 Food Banks. - Dog
>>I thought Tony Blair was educated in Scotland and never went to Eton...<<

Same difference.
 Food Banks. - Dutchie
What has been said before if people do need help no problem.I don't like to see people having to sit in the cold because of money.Effects the eldery more I would think,and people with young familys on a low income.

The amount of food what is wasted is a shame,our modern society.
 Food Banks. - Dog
In recent years, some journalists have described Fettes as "the Eton of the North",[2][3][4] meaning for its high profile and prestige.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fettes_College
 Food Banks. - Iffy
Reminds me of when Tony Blair was guest of honour at a Law Society dinner in his County Durham constituency.

"Welcome Mr Blair," said one of the senior barristers. "Tonight you will be able to meet all those people who didn't vote for you."

Food Banks. - Harleyman

>> At least you didn't go to Eton, where you'd have learnt to cheat, lie, and
>> swindle your way through life,
>>
>> (among other things)
>>

It's as much a fallacy, and a trite generalisation based on prejudice, that all Old Etonians do the above, as it is that all council estate dwellers do the same at the other end of the scale.
 Food Banks. - Chris S
>> Seeing people on the television having to go for free food because they can't afford
>> to buy.
>>
Because they've spent their giro on beer and fags.
 Food Banks. - Skip
">> Seeing people on the television having to go for free food because they can't afford
>> to buy.
>>
Because they've spent their giro on beer and fags."

A bit harsh possibly, however i do wonder how many of them own mobile phones and have Sky TV !

Some people do seem to have different priorities to me when it comes to money - including my partner at times !
 Food Banks. - Pat
Don't forget that now it is a lot cheaper to have a mobile phone on PAYG than it is to have a landline.

I think it must be a morning for cynical remarks this morning:)

Pat

Food Banks. - madf
If all the poor were given £500 per week, there would still be a minority seeking food handouts..

It's simply statistics.. there are some people who can always spend more than they have and get their priorities wrong (altho' according to them their priorities may be right)..
 Food Banks. - Iffy
...I think it must be a morning for cynical remarks this morning:)

I find every morning is a morning for cynical remarks.

And every afternoon, and every evening.

Food Banks. - Skip
Don't forget that now it is a lot cheaper to have a mobile phone on PAYG than it is to have a landline.

I think it must be a morning for cynical remarks this morning:)

Pat

You may well be right Pat.

However IMHO if you cant afford to buy food then i dont see that owning a phone of any description should be considered as an essential.

Yes, i am a cynic, but with so many in todays society who seem to think that the world owes them a living it tends to make me like it.

Andy
Last edited by: Skip on Tue 4 Oct 11 at 13:32
 Food Banks. - Bromptonaut
It maybe a lot cheaper for the user to have a PAYG mobile bit a lot of the costs are shifted to callers. For years mobiles were blocked from 'phones in government offices, now routine to use them as 'customer service' requires it. Quite right but it must cost the exchequer millions.

And while I've some sympathy with Skip's point I think the reality is a bit different. There are plenty of people out there in marginal/casual work for whom the 'phone is essential - that's how they get the work that is available.
 Food Banks. - swiss tony
>> And while I've some sympathy with Skip's point I think the reality is a bit
>> different. There are plenty of people out there in marginal/casual work for whom the 'phone
>> is essential - that's how they get the work that is available.
>>

Also, a person without a phone they can be contacted on, is more likely NOT to be considered for a job, or if they are considered for said job, may lose out on it, due to to the delays involved by having to use snail mail.
Latest Forum Posts