Non-motoring > Bernie Ecclestone Biography Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 15

Bernie Ecclestone Biography - Robin O'Reliant
Just finished "No Angel" by Tom Bower, the story of Bernie Ecclestone. It was written with Bernie's approval but with him having no control over it's content or any editing rights, it is pretty much no-holds barred stuff. He had instructed everyone who was likely to be approached for material to tell the author the truth about him. Highly recommended reading, one of those books I couldn't put down despite not doing too much reading these days.

One surprising thing was I found myself liking him more and more as the book went on, warts (and there are plenty) and all. Anyone with even a passing interest in F1 will enjoy it.

Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 20:13
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - bathtub tom
Is it a short book? ;>)
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - VxFan
I heard it was the pits and should just be left on the Mansellpiece.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 20:24
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - ....
>> Just finished "No Angel" by Tom Bower, the story of Bernie Ecclestone. It was written
>> with Bernie's approval but with him having no control over it's content or any editing
>> rights, it is pretty much no-holds barred stuff.
>>
Yeah right ! Multi-billionaire agrees to wash his smalls in public with no control....Good grief ! Oxymoron intended.
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - MD
Now let's get this straight. Is the Oxy thing the 'small' bit or the 'good grief'????
Let's go Irish, take your pick...
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 20:57
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - MD
I'll have a Murphy's then.
Ah! Smooth and creamy with a subtle bitterness...
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - Dutchie
Son of a fisherman,left school at sixteen.

Bernie is a caracter everybody tiptoe's around him.>:) on the circuit.
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - Iffy
...Yeah right ! Multi-billionaire agrees to wash his smalls in public with no control....Good grief ! Oxymoron intended...

Ecclestone can afford to have either type of book done - he has the choice.

Tom Bower is good at what he does, and is unlikely to want to be involved in a whitewash.

Robin Regal's outline of the book suggests it's a genuine warts and all portrayal.

So it probably is.

Bernie Ecclestone Biography - Bromptonaut
Agree with Iffy.

Bower has made his name doing no holds barred unauthorised biographies. Libel actions, including one by Richard Desmond (Express owner) have been unsucessful.

You will know better than I do how the press operate in obtaining co-operation. I suspect Ecclestone realised the biog was going to happen either way and that he might get treated a little better if he co-operated.
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - Iffy
...that he might get treated a little better if he co-operated...

I think that's spot on.

Ecclestone will know there are plenty of people who will speak ill of him, and Bower will speak to those whatever he says.

So he might as well give Bower the names of friends and favoured business contacts and ask them to co-operate.

He keeps their respect - I wouldn't be impressed if someone asked me to lie to a journalist just to make them look good.

And does Ecclestone really care?

I suspect he rather enjoys the notoriety he gets from the 'bad bits'.

Bernie Ecclestone Biography - Robin O'Reliant
The book is certainly not a whitewash, much of what those interviewed had to say about him is far from complimentary and the details of the humiliations he had to suffer at the hands of his wife are not those that any celebrity would want in the public domain.

it is also a great insight into the favouritism and cheating that goes on in F1, well worth a trip to Amazon or your local library (where I got mine).
Like most things in live it's not what you know but who you know.

Bernie is not a pussy cat more like a Bull Terrier.>:)
 Bernie Ecclestone Biography - helicopter
I too have just finished the book. My son bought it for me for Fathers day present and I enjoyed it, especially the early days of his dodgy dealing around Warren St.

My impression is that he is a complete and utter control freak with a Napolean complex. Not a very nice man to deal with at all.
I have some family who are in bussiness from my fathers side shipping and my mothers side transport Vos.

You've got to have a certain mentality they are all very aloof and suffer no fools.

I would have liked to have started a bussiness with my brother years ago but it never materialised thats live.>:)
Latest Forum Posts