Non-motoring > If you could name one band which changed taste? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 20

If you could name one band which changed taste? - RattleandSmoke
in music?

For me it was in 1995, I was 13 and heard Pulp's Different Class album for the first time before that all I know was what my parents where into (Cliff, Bee Gees, ABBA etc!) and when I listened to it I was like wow. All the stuff that cocker sang about was so relevant to me as a 13 year old.

Even now when Pulp is played in clubs or bars it always gets the dance floor moving.

From there I discovered bands such as the Smiths, Joy Division, New Order, Echo and Bunnymen, The Cure etc and by 2000 I was an indie die hard. But from there I got into punk and classic rock.

So Pulp influenced my music taste so much in the 1990's by 2011 nearly all my social network is connected with my music taste, so if it wasn't for Pulp letting me discover alternative music back in 1995 my life would be very different now, for better or worse.

So if you could name one band which change your life what would it be?

PS Pulp are not actually my favourite band by a long way, but it is where it all started.

If you could name one band which changed taste? - R.P.
Beatles were game changing
For yourself? The thread is about which band changed your tastes personally :). It could be any obscure band but it has to be band which change your life.
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Dog
I suppose it was Jimmi Hendrix that did it for me, I was sent to an 'Approved' School for scallywags & toe rags in the 1960's, when I was released in 67 I got a job with a window cleaner over in Pimlico London and I distinctly remember going into a record shop over there and asking for "some of that high pitched guitar music" :)

I came away with Jimmi's Electric Ladyland.
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Dog
Show em Son ~ www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=JBLDxgrDVO4
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - R.P.
Pulp were pretty mainstream, even I vhave their albums !

If you could name one band which changed taste? - Woodster
Rattle, I suspect from your thread that I'm older than you. It was Joy Division, followed closely by Curtis' death and the emergence of New Order, and I'm still listening to this day. (Went to see Bad Lieutenant last year in London and reccommend the CD) All the other bands inbetween (same as you, The Cure, Bunnymen and many others) but I still love New Order when they're on form. Like all the best bands I think they can be average at times, but exceptional at others. The exceptional is worth seeking out but of course I know all of their catalogue intimately now. I listen to anything from Jennifer Warnes to Chilli peppers now. If it's well executed then I like it. Goddamnit, I've even got Adele.....
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Zero
1974, crime of the century - Supertramp. I was 18, and it was the first non pop or motown vinyl I had bought.

It was the gate that opened my taste and ears into nearly every form of music.,

Except anything by Morisey. The pretentious pfd deserves a kicking.,
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 5 Oct 11 at 00:57
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - BobbyG
RunRig
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Bromptonaut
Watched the TV series 'The Blood is Strong' c1988 out of an interest in scenery of the Western Isles. The theme and incidental music by Capercaillie introduced me to that band's melding of traditional Scots Gaelic with rock and with other cultures rhythms.

Right now I'm listening to he whole band's live render of 'Fear a bhata'

And further back, around 1980, commercial TV/radio inviegled me into buying a K-Tel album called Masterworks - Classical Music played on electronic instruments. OK, Isao Tomita had done this stuff before, but it gave me a bridge to Beethoven, Grieg and Widor that I'd never have bothered with in their standard arrangements/instruments.
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - BobbyG
Used to have a tape in the car with Capercaillie.

Good music.
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Fenlander
>>>1974, crime of the century - Supertramp. I was 18

Ahh a '56er too!

For me it was Future Blues by Canned Heat in 1970. A first real escape from the Ella Fitzgerald, Francoise Hardy and Gilbert & Sullivan of my parents music collection... and the Beatles of my older cousin.

Track from the album... www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN7j-LCgaiE
Saw New Order back in 2005 at Hyde Park, I think it was some sort of 02 festival, Moby was the the support who was surprisingly good.

New Order where brilliant and sang a lot of Joy Division stuff. It was a fantastic gig but I was unable to collect my results from university because of it. I phoned my tutor who unofficially told me I got a 2:1. Me and my mate then went to stay in Brighton for a few days as it was cheap (we got the 4* Thistle for £40 a night) but my grandad was in hospital that week having an operation. My mum didn't tell me how bad he was afterwards but by the time I got back from Manchester he had died. So as much as I love New Order indirectly they stopped me seeing my grandad for the last time. The day of the gig he had driven to our house (but I was in London) that is how well he was, but the doctors knew best and he had to have this operation that killed him.

Still bitter about that, but it wasn't New Order's fault. One of my favourite going out songs in Electronic's "Getting Away With it" which consists of Barny, Neil Tennant and Johnny Marr, the combination of New Order/The Smiths and The Pet Shop Boys some how works perfectly.

As for Morrissey I am a big fan of the Smiths and to some extent Morrissey, but you either git it or you don't. Being from Manchester and from a similier background to Morrissey I get his early lyrics 100% and of course the Smiths remained the most played band in most bars/alternative clubs in Manchester.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 03:11
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Woodster
There's never a good time or circumstance to lose someone Rattle. Been affected by that too. I think any music lover has associations between cerrtain music and times or events in their lives, and they aren't always good events unfortunately. Anyway, as for that pretentious snip as one of our friends called him (do you remember the top of the pops first performance of 'this charming man' when he had a bouquet of flowers stuck down the back of his trousers?!!) well, pretentious he may be, as many 'pop stars' are, but 'Everyday is like Sunday' is a minor classic in my book.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 20:21
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - corax
(do you remember the top of the
>> pops first performance of 'this charming man' when he had a bouquet of flowers stuck
>> down the back of his trousers?!!)

Yes, and I remember thinking 'what a strange man', but it certainly made you remember him :)
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Zero

>> Yes, and I remember thinking 'what a strange man', but it certainly made you remember
>> him :)

specially one who wants to be taken seriously for his music, his politics. I can quite see why he does not understand why people throw bottles at him. not.
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - corax
>> Pulp were pretty mainstream, even I vhave their albums !

It took a long time for Pulp to become mainstream. Jarvis Cocker handed John Peel a demo tape in 1980 (apparently he mumbled something about listening to it on the way home), but they didn't release their first album until 1995.
They are mainstream compared to say Rancid or the Chaemeleons (very different bands) who have never had any top 40 hits or albums yet still have a huge following in the UK.

I think Pulp is perhaps one of the most pop of the alternative bands.
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Roger.
The ODJB.
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Mike Hannon
I dunno about life-changing, but: The Alan Price Set.

I never did get that Beatles/Rolling Stones thing...
 If you could name one band which changed taste? - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPG2iiaVdD4

Not really live changing.Remember a song of Sunny and Cher at sea we had a cargo of timber on board from Gdanks to Scarborough.

Picked this song from the net Cher look a like.?
Latest Forum Posts