Non-motoring > Just turning the TV off at the plug Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 10

Just turning the TV off at the plug - Chris S
When I was a child I was told that just turning the TV off at the plug (as opposed to at the on/off switch first) burnt out the valves quicker. Was this true?

If so are modern TVs with their micro-chips more robust?
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - Old Navy
The instructions for my Sony 40" LCD TV say switch off the TV before unplugging or it may malfunction and require a reset.

I suspect the software may get confused.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 30 Sep 11 at 13:38
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - Slidingpillar
Hmm, had my Sony nearly a year and I've always switched of at mains from standby. On/off switch is well hidden!

As for the original poster, it's probably largely cods-wallop. It's not a good idea to run a valve's HT with the valve heater cooling which is probably where the idea came from, but most valve sets, the main on/off switch was a simple mains incoming switch so has exactly the same effect as the plug or switch.

If you have an old communications receiver, some of them can run the heaters, and when warm, then power the HT. Turning on by that method contributes much more to valve life than turning off in a hurry. (My AR88 can do it).

Technical term for the effect is 'stripping the cathode' but it's not that easy to do.
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - TheManWithNoName
I use one of those power saving devices which uses the existing TV/Sky remote and switches the mains power on and off. It basically means I don't have to bend down and reach behind the tv cabinet in order to swith it on and I also don't have to leave the tv on standby. Got it free from an offer through my local council.
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - Mike Hannon
Cor, an AR88 lives!
And a forklift truck in the garage, no doubt...
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - Slidingpillar
AR88 is dead at the moment - I think the speaker transformer has failed. (It's a common failing, they leak for ages and when all the oil is gone - bang!)

They are heavy, 119lbs it says in the manual.
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - Zero
>> Cor, an AR88 lives!
>> And a forklift truck in the garage, no doubt...

Pah a mere lightweight compared to the ex navy Murphy B40D I had once.

www.gb2mc.co.uk/exhibits.html
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - WillDeBeest
Our 40" Sony consumes 0.19W in standby, so we reckon it's not worth hunting around for the plug. Most sets from the last few years, since the low-power standby message got through (certainly those I looked at when I was TV shopping in 2009) are similarly low.

Compare this with my hi-fi amplifier, which stands by at 35W. That gets switched off.
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - Dave_
My 32" CRT TV "remembers" what it was doing, i.e. if it was on standby when unplugged, it will come back onto standby when plugged in; if it was switched on when unplugged, it will switch on when the plug is inserted again. Got it for free 2 years ago, and I haven't broken it yet :)
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - spamcan61
>> The instructions for my Sony 40" LCD TV say switch off the TV before unplugging
>> or it may malfunction and require a reset.
>>
>> I suspect the software may get confused.
>>

Much modern electronic equipment gets confused if power is removed and re-applied quickly, what with the unholy combinations of firmware, software and hardware. It shouldn't be that difficult to make it more robust, but it's cheaper and quicker just to print a warning not to do it in the manual.
 Just turning the TV off at the plug - Stuartli
>>Much modern electronic equipment gets confused if power is removed and re-applied quickly, what with the unholy combinations of firmware, software and hardware>>

My Panasonic, after any software/firmware updates, requires that it be switched off at the mains and the power then turned on again to allow it to boot up and initialise.

It's also another set that uses less than a watt in Standby mode.
Latest Forum Posts