Non-motoring > One for Darwin? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 39

One for Darwin? - Ian (Cape Town)
A BRITON was last night in a critical condition after losing both his legs in a shark attack.

Witnesses said the man, named as Michael Cohen, had gone swimming despite warnings that a shark was circling close to the beach in Cape Town.

The 43-year-old is said to have swum regularly at Fish Hoek beach, notorious for Great White sightings, even telling fellow beachgoers: "If a shark takes me, then blame me, not the shark."

There's no telling some people, is there?
 One for Darwin? - Dutchie
You take your changes and pay the price.

I hope he survives he deserves to.At least he is not using the blame culture.
Dutchie, that particular beach uses shark spotters on surrounding hills. You can see the sharks, like u-boats, out in the sea.
Hence a system of flags and 'don't go in there!'
The guy was a damned fool to even contemplate getting his toes wet when it was specifically stated that there were sharks, and big ones at that, in the area.
 One for Darwin? - Dog
Although I've been a member of Greenpeace for nigh-on 40 years, and got very angry (and sad) at the Chinese killing the giant Ray (Manta) on the idiots lantern last night, I don't think it would be a bad idea to hunt the Great White ... to extinction!
 One for Darwin? - Zero
Didn't know Greenpeace membership allowed you certain opt-outs. Do the various species lobby for inclusion?

Perhaps it should be renamed Greenpiece?
 One for Darwin? - Dog
We hunt down killers, incarcerate them for life (8 years) or Taser them to death, so why- not the Great White?
 One for Darwin? - Zero
Somehow Canem, I don't think you have quite got the hang of Greenpeace. I would rethink your subscription.
 One for Darwin? - CGNorwich
I think Dog is being ironic.
Dog ironic.?>:)
>> so why- not the Great White?
>>
Because the sea is theirs, not ours.
Should we shoot all tigers, because they eat people who go into "their" jungle?
 One for Darwin? - Dog
>>Because the sea is theirs, not ours<<

What, like Africa belongs to the original native inhabitants?
>> >>Because the sea is theirs, not ours<<
>>
>> What, like Africa belongs to the original native inhabitants?
>>

But us colonialists don't need to adapt too much to take charge.

Last time I looked, I hadn't developed gills and fins.
If I had, I'd be splashing about, shouting 'come at me, bro!' to the local piscene population...
 One for Darwin? - Dog
>>But us colonialists don't need to adapt too much to take charge<<

The thing is Ian, we kill stuff that try to kill us right? like viruses, bacteria, mosquitos, rats (sorry Rattle!) Taliban freedom fighters, Iraqi freedom fighters etc.. etc..

So all I'm saying is - why not wipe out the Great White? they take far too many souls world-wide per annum.
That's the problem, Dog.
They aren't trying to kill us, they are just being natural.
Except the Taliban.

Sharks just pootle along, looking for food, and if something gets in the way, they'll have a nibble, and carry on.

Tempting fate in the way this idiot did is just plain stupid.
Like standing outside a Kabul mosque, eating a bacon sandwich, shouting 'allah is a big fat poof!'
 One for Darwin? - Dog
TBH Ian, I'm just absolutely terrified of Sharks, even that word brings me out in a cold sweat,

I'd never swim in the sea anywhere that had Great Whites lurking about.
Precisely how i, and 99% of the population feel.
Which is why this guy deserves a Darwin Award.
 One for Darwin? - Dog
>>That's the problem, Dog.
They aren't trying to kill us, they are just being natural.
Except the Taliban.<<

I'm off to put some Sandtex on some walls now Ian, but I'd just like to add that the Taliban never killed anyone from SA or UK until we invaded their country.
Great whites never killed anyone from the human race until we started splashing round in their back yard!
Just be carefull Dog climbing any ladders.Did some work yesterday treating the fence.

Beautiful weather here in Yorkshire,the only sharks I ever met where human.That's an other story.>:)
 One for Darwin? - Old Navy
>> Precisely how i, and 99% of the population feel.
>> Which is why this guy deserves a Darwin Award.
>>

I agree Ian, although I used the patrolled beaches in Australia when I was a youngster, I have not been in the sea there for many years although I go there regularly.
 One for Darwin? - Cliff Pope
>>
>> Which is why this guy deserves a Darwin Award.
>>
>>

He's 43, it's probably too late. There may already be young shark-seeking Cohens about, toddling down to the beach with happy smiles on their faces.
 One for Darwin? - MD
>> Like standing outside a Kabul mosque, eating a bacon sandwich, shouting 'allah is a big
>> fat poof!'
>>
Just for research purposes of course, shall I repeat the above line in a new post and see how long it takes vx to reprimand ME?
>> What, like Africa belongs to the original native inhabitants?
>>

Yes life is tough, as the west will find out over the next few decades. All the money has gone east.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 29 Sep 11 at 09:43
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBdSqk78nHw

England belongs to the Wales people.What's new Pussycat.:)

He's got the same Birthday as mine 7 th June.
 One for Darwin? - Dog
And Holland belongs to the Frisians.

;)
We where there first Dog the Groningers.The Groningers came down the Rhine a German Tribe and had to build the Netherlands from scratch.>:)

Interesting about the Frisians they speak basic English forerunner of the English language I think.There is a frisian Dog the Wetterhoun not many about.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fryzyjski_pies_wodny_u68.jpg

Sturdy Dog.The Wetterhoun.
 One for Darwin? - Dog
>>Sturdy Dog.The Wetterhoun<<

Christ! - he looks like he means business :-i
 One for Darwin? - Dog
>>Interesting about the Frisians they speak basic English forerunner of the English language I think<<

Yes, I was reading about that on wikipedia Dutchie, I enjoy reading about History (actually)

I must take a photo of the stone age 'leaf' (shaped) flint arrowhead I found on Bodmin Moor, it's a beaut!

Had any Dutch Passion lately Dutchie?

:-D
Stessfull afternoon Dog,had to pick our prescriptions up and nothing was right had to hang around for a hr.My oldest son is the one who is keen on history his favorite subject at school.

Actually Dutch passion Dog? Just having a glass of wine and enjoying the sun.Live is good.>:)
 One for Darwin? - Dog
>>Actually Dutch passion Dog? Just having a glass of wine and enjoying the sun.Live is good.>:)<<

Take it easy Dutchie - Live is also short!

Dutch Passion are the seeds of a herb that some people grow, dry, roll into tubes, put into their mouths, and set fire to it, then inhale the smoke!

:-D
You know more than me Dog I thought you ment attacking the missus..;)

I've had a few herbs in my time can't remember which.
Looking forward to the photo Dog,never been to Bodmin moor.I've seen stonehenge once.

I have watched the sharks from the cliff top lookout in Shark Bay, Western Australia, thats as close as I would get to that bit of water. They are probably close relatives to the ones off South Africa. I can only assume the guy that lost his legs is an arrogant German car driver.
Old Navy, it is actually a very popular beach. But there are sharks in the area on occasion, hence the spotters and flags and sirens etc etc etc.
When I lived in Australia I have used busy beaches in Sydney with shark spotter planes run by the local radio stations, they broadcast warnings over the commercial radio and to the authorities. i would still not go into the water at Shark Bay, it is purely a lookout, miles from anywhere, with no backup.
 One for Darwin? - Iffy
Perhaps the guy was legless before he went in, as well as after he came out.

One for Darwin? - Dog
>>Perhaps the guy was legless before he went in, as well as after he came out<<

I thought it ... and you said it :(
 One for Darwin? - henry k
>> Old Navy, it is actually a very popular beach.
>>
Certainly is. I have been along that road well over a hundred times ( there used to be a lovely DS Citroen parked on the pavement coming down the hill from St James) but not seen any sharks just whales especially at the other end of the beach by Sunny Cove railway station.
>>But there are sharks in the area on occasion, hence the spotters and flags and sirens etc etc etc.
>>
I will be more attentive next trip especially when I go paddling my tootsies.
From the TV interview with Professor Andrew Nichol his surgeon it would appear that the guy survived because of the instant first aid,
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15113376

The brits are on the case
"A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "We are aware of reports that a British man has been attacked by a shark off the coast of South Africa. We have offered consular assistance."
First aid people are the best.I've done a few courses always enjoyed it.That first five minutes stop bleeding recovery position so inportant it saves lives.Never forget once at sea we had a incident regarding a lost limb.A snibby (small fishing vessle.) approached us at sea selling some fish.Snibby got alongside us making fast and one of their deckman got his legs tangled in the rope between the bollard.It ripped his lower leg off below the knee.

We managed to stop the bleeding nasty accident.
Latest Forum Posts