Non-motoring > What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 29

What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Dog
James Crane worked on the 101st floor of Tower 1 of the World Trade
Center .. He is blind so he has a golden retriever named Daisy.
After the plane hit 20 stories below, James knew that he was doomed, so
he let Daisy go, out of an act of love. She darted away into the darkened
hallway.
Choking on the fumes of the jet fuel and the smoke James was just waiting
to die. About 30 minutes later, Daisy comes back along with James' boss,
Who Daisy just happened to pick up on floor 112

On her first run of the building, she leads James, James' boss, and about
300 more people out of the doomed building.
But she wasn't through yet, she knew there were others who were trapped.
So, highly against James' wishes she ran back in the building.

On her second run, she saved 392 lives. Again she went back in. During
this run, the building collapses. James hears about this and falls on his
knees into tears.
Against all known odds, Daisy makes it out alive, but this time she is
carried by a firefighter. "She led us right to the people, before she got
injured" the fireman explained.

Her final run saved another 273 lives. She suffered acute smoke
inhalation, severe burns on all four paws, and a broken leg, but she saved 967
lives. Daisy is the first civilian Canine to win the Medal of Honor of New York
City.

What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Zero
And did daisy find that biscuit she dropped on floor 101? no she didnt.

Daisy is now a bitter angry old goldie that bites people.

The story is also a hoax.
>>The story is also a hoax<<

So wifey just told me - what on earth motivates these morons to publish (to the ww) stories like this!
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Roger.
.............and as the (fake) dog is a female, it should be "heroine"!
Mind you the modern media-led over-use of the "hero" word devalues it.
It should be reserved for genuine heroic actions, not folk who are just doing their job or just getting on with living.
The TV shows are big offenders here - there is a program called "Helicopter Heroes" which focusses on helicopter-borne medics going about their job.
I have yet to see a truly heroic action performed by any one of them, vital and good though their job undoubtedly is.
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 27 Sep 11 at 11:11
But what puzzles me is why someone has put fingers to qwerty and sent that story far & wide,

It's not as if it's some ragged trousered philanthropist in Africa hoping to reel in a few Shekels, is it.
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Fenlander
I don't know why Dog but there are hundreds of feelgood stories put about via e.mail/blog/forum like this. They often seem to have a similar writing style... Iffy could probably say what that is.
>>feelgood stories<<

That just about sums it up exF/L - and I fell for it :)
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Dutchie
Don't worry Dog still a nice story.:>)

We've had a few dogs over the years.I still remember Pim a small Keeshond white.

When my brother and me came home for weekends from school .Pim used to wait for us on top of the stairs ,he knew we came home.
>>>Keeshond

Our first 25yrs of dog ownership were with Keeshonds... unique dog. Our current fellow is a slightly smaller German Spitz so a closely related breed.. but just not a Keeshond.

www.mousematuk.co.uk/Mouse%20Mats/Dogs/Keeshond/slides/Keeshond%209J28D-01.JPG

In the UK a white Keeshond would be a Japanese Spitz or Samoyed.
Wow! what a beautiful dog - must take some grooming I'll wager.
>>We've had a few dogs over the years.I still remember Pim a small Keeshond white<<

Did you name him after Pim Fortuyn, Dutchie?
No Dog.;) We had Pim when I was ten 52 years ago well before Pim Fortuin.

I always liked the name Pim,It was me who took our dogs for a run,my brother wasn't interested.

The Keeshond is well known in Holland .The smaller is Schipperke was mainly seen on barges.
Smaller version of Keeshond I mean.My brain isn't corressponding with my typing.<(:
The Keeshond does need some grooming Dog but not so so much in day to day maintenance... a show groom is a different matter. Not only are the a nice looking dog but a very agreeable dog to have about. They have watchdog skills but aren't an over aggressive guarding breed.

Our current German Spitz looks just like this one... bit smaller than a Keeshond but quite similar.

www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/home.nsf/E708BB2BE13A5B12802573F90042D0ED/$file/German-Spitz-Mittel.jpg
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 27 Sep 11 at 13:25
>>Our current German Spitz looks just like this one... bit smaller than a Keeshond but quite similar<<

Looks useful XFL - not unlike an Akita ... friend of mine had a pure white Pomeranian up on Bodmin Moor, luvly dog,

Farmer shot it dead for worrying Sheep :(
Oh much smaller and less powerful than an Akita. Akitas, Malamutes and Elkhounds are bigger than we want about the house.
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Zero
>> Akitas, Malamutes and Elkhounds are bigger
>> than we want about the house.

And really not suited to life in the house.
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Cliff Pope
Hoax or not, dogs do get awards for bravery sometimes, and I have sometimes wondered why?
Are they actually capable of motivation by the same kind of impulses that affect humans?
Animals are said to have "rights", so presumably must therefore be assumed to be capable of appreciating the "duties" that go hand in hand with rights.

What motivates an animal to act according to its duty, or in some cases, go beyond the call of duty?
A dog just lives to please it's master, nothing more,apart from the odd treat,

we'd all be better for being a bit more dog-like :))
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Roger.
I like pussies better than doggies!
Yeah, you blimming would :-D
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - madf
I'm with Roger..
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Mike Hannon
>>I don't know why Dog but there are hundreds of feelgood stories put about via e.mail/blog/forum like this. They often seem to have a similar writing style<<

And they all seem to be American in origin, as far as I can see. Do they have problems coping with reality?
Answers on a postcard, please...

Rather remarkably, my family's first pet was a keeshond. I remember him (kennel name Moonsheen Master but we called him Merlin) towing my pushchair. In later years I remember my parents continually explaining to people that he wasn't a husky.
I tried to buy a puppy from an acquaintance back in the '70s but the pregnancy turned out to be a phantom. I still see them occasionally round here and delight in explaining the breed.
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Iffy
As with most of these stories, there's little or no attempt to substantiate this tale.

Most of it is impossible to substantiate - 'the dog saved 392 lives' - is a meaningless statement which cannot be proved.

Or, of course, disproved, which makes the story harder to knock down conclusively.

I've been presented with a few less elaborate and therefore more believable stories.

A few basic checks reveals them for what they are.

Increasingly in my game these checks are not done.

From another thread, it looks as if the BBC has been hoaxed by a pretend trader.

I'm not saying I would have spotted it, but the absence of a back story would have made me wary.

By back story I mean stuff like where does this guy work? Is he a known reliable commentator on financial trading?

The interview was live, which makes it harder, but the statement "I look forward to a recession', didn't ring true.

These guys are known to be cynical opportunists, but even if a trader does look forward to a recession, it's unlikely he would say so on the telly.

The rest of it, about being able to profit in a rising and falling market, did ring true.

Maybe he felt like telling the truth Iffy.Lets face it we here that many half truths from our political correct tv stations.Who do we believe anymore.What I have noticed basic prices of food is shooting up.Also Gas Electric and rates utility bills have shot up.

I'm not sure if the BBC was hoaxed or do they suffer fools?
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - R.P.
Plenty of hero dogs serving with the Forces in Afghanistan BTW
Cop hold of this Dutchie ~ rt.com/programs/keiser-report/episode-189-max-keiser/
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Kevin
>I'm not sure if the BBC was hoaxed or do they suffer fools?

The BBC are fools.

Ten minutes research by the newsroom YOP (do we still have those?) would have told them everything they needed to know about this snake-oil salesman.

Instead they gave him airtime as a supposedly knowledgeable person in a subject pretty close to the top of everyone's worry-list.

If I was a more suspicious person I might think that it was a deliberate but stunningly idiotic event timed purely for the Labour Party Conference.
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Lygonos
I fail to see where the 'trader' made any errors.

No time better than a recession to have big cycles of rises and falls in the various markets.

I loved his "governments don't run the world - Goldman Sachs runs the world".

Priceless.

But true - as some nations are finding/about to find out, you can't borrow exponentially and expect confidence not to waver.
 What a great dog! Daisy the Hero. - Cliff Pope
>> I'm with Roger..
>>

Sorry, I thought you were just good friends.
Latest Forum Posts