Non-motoring > Steadicam Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 7

Steadicam - Dog
I’ve had an interest in film/photography since my first job for a film co. in Soho, W. London,

I was into 35mm BIG time in the 70’s with my Pentax KM + lenses/filters/tripod/air release etc..

I don’t watch much TV these days and if there are adverts, well – just forget it!

I like documentaries though and I often watch the Freesat channel called NHK which stands for Japan Broadcasting Service and was originally modelled on our BBC,

One particular program I enjoy is called Somewhere Street where a journalist visits various places in the world talking to people in the street, people in their homes, people at work etc..

The thing that has always intrigued me though was how the unseen camera managed to sort-of float along the street and when the operator walked downstairs the recorded image would be so smooth and not in any way jerky like you would get with a normal hand-held video cam,

So today I decided to find out and do some research on the ww and it turns out that the camera operator uses what is called a Steadicam which I think you’ll agree is a most ingenious device.

www.fryfilm.com/SteadicamShowreel.aspx

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/genre/index.html
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 24 Sep 11 at 21:25
 Steadicam - Focusless
I think I first saw it on Tomorrow's Word or Blue Peter many years ago. The main drawback apparently was that it was pretty heavy, but I guess technology has improved since then.

What I couldn't work out was how they take those action shots where the action is frozen but the viewpoint moves around. Then another TV program should how it was done - just loads of cameras arranged around the subject all linked to go off at the same time. Put their images together and it becomes a movie. Does this technique have a name?
 Steadicam - bathtub tom
>>What I couldn't work out was how they take those action shots where the action is frozen but the viewpoint moves around.

That's always intrigued me. If it's a number of cameras, how come the switch from one to another's seamless? I'd guessed it was something to do with laser technology, similar to what they use to produce holograms.
 Steadicam - Focusless
>> That's always intrigued me. If it's a number of cameras, how come the switch from
>> one to another's seamless?

The images I've seen are completely static - it's only the viewpoint that moves (by rapidly switching between the still images). So the pictures are all taken at the same time, which is probably relatively easy with modern cameras.

The setup I (vaguely) remember seeing on TV had a sort of framework/rod going around the subject to which all the cameras were attached.
 Steadicam - devonite
if you watch "match of the day" you will see steadycam operators running along the touchlines! - i think they are steadied by gyroscope typey-things! (cameras not operators!)
 Steadicam - Dog
This is the latest development, and wow! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AR_hft.JPG
 Steadicam - T junction
This guy produces stunning results.

www.wildcatfilms.com/aerial_filming/home.html

Have had the pleasure of listening to him talk about his work and show examples on a large screen at out local film club
 Steadicam - zippy
Went on the x2 Segway at Go Ape recently. Great fun!
Latest Forum Posts