Non-motoring > Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 15

Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - FotheringtonTomas
... against new posts?
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - car4play
We've been fiddling with it. It works for us now, so hopefully once all the sessions have cleared out it should settle down for you. You may be logged out and have to log in again.
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Ted

Someone's 'ad mine away as well ! Just logged out and back in.

Give 'em back !.....or else I'll send the boys round !

Ted
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - bathtub tom
I recall another forum that 'played around with it's facilities'.

What was it called?
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Bromptonaut
Mine are still erratic in spite of logging in afresh.

Reading any thread seems to remove the new flags from all threads older than that being read. So if you read the top thread fist you've immediately lost any clues as to what's new on all those below.
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Pat
Still not working for me either despite being logged out and in again:(

Pat
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Iffy
All the flags seem to vanish after I've clicked on one new thread.

In other words, it was working fine, now it's not working properly at all.

I hope the management will sort this, because it's one feature I use all the time.

Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - civic_duty
>>>Reading any thread seems to remove the new flags from all threads older than that being read.

Thats what I find as well. So read the "new" posts on the oldest (ie lowest) threads first to keep the flags.
Last edited by: civic_duty on Fri 9 Apr 10 at 08:30
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - car4play
It is still broken for you, but may now be fixed on the development machine here.

FYI it was nothing to do with the rating system. It just so happened that we tried to fix an issue at the same time to do with new registered users logging in and this has broken the "new" flags.

For the tech minded.. (please ignore if not techy!)

We have a much later release of PHP on our dev boxes here as that is the only one that runs fine on the Macs here. The error logging is turned on high on these and showed up that some of the session commands we had used on the original forum software are now being deprecated and we should replace them. Unforrtunately, the replacement commands don't work in exactly the same way, and this has shown up errors in our previous coding that have always been there but somehow masked by the way the old commands worked. (e.g. "Mark all read" bugs).

So we have had to fix stuff in there that has always been an issue, but somehow worked ok hitherto.
We don't have enough time to do a proper recode which would also give you the option to stay logged in all day if you so want. But we will add this later on - time permitting.
It is a pretty thankless task adding some of these things - like the fixes to performance in loading pages, and users tend to only notice when things go wrong, rather than when something works that little bit quicker. (Anyone notice that long threads should load many times faster now?) We have many other projects for us to work on, so this particular one will have to take a back seat for a while. Development costs money and this site doesn't really make any. There isn't really any money to be made in a site that is just a forum and in that respect HJ is completely correct. (In fact we don't make any money to speak of!) So change is inevitable. It would be just nice to have you all more on board.

The principle of "if it isn't broke don't fix it" doesn't really apply in these cases. New hardware runs new software, and our code has to be compatible. Also it is nice to be a little ahead of the game by having a later release on the dev boxes.
Running the same old software because it works is also dangerous in some cases where later releases patch vulnerabilities - e.g. the ad server we ran that got attacked by a malicious hacker. We like to keep current on such things. So perhaps the maxim is: "fix it before time breaks it."

So in the short term:
- the new flags will be fixed.

In the medium term:
- we will try to add an option to allow logging in all day
Last edited by: car4play on Fri 9 Apr 10 at 10:39
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - VxFan
>> So in the short term:
>> - the new flags will be fixed.

All appears to be working again (hope I've not spoken too soon?).

Thanks for fixing it.
Yes, working again here.

Thanks.

Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Ted

Seems OK here as well.
Regards

Ted
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Bellboy
do you know what
ive no idea how why or what these flags are
and i dont care either
...ive no idea how why or what these flags are
and i dont care either...

Well you should find out what they are for, and you should care.

It will enhance your Car4Play experience, not to say your life.

Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Pat
Just got in the house after a day working in the garden to find my red flags are working again:)

I'm going to treat myself to a glass of Merlot now to celebrate.............is the sun over the yradarm yet?

Pat
 Why aren't I getting my little red "New" flags? - Bellboy
It will enhance your Car4Play experience, not to say your life.
>
>>>>>>tinyurl.com/y2hfbct
Latest Forum Posts