Non-motoring > Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 69

Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Auntie Lockbrakes
... and loads of unsold tickets it seems. You can still pick up a choice of seats for almost all the matches! Another victim of the global financial climate, or are they simply charging too much?!

So hop on a plane guys (and gals)..!

Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - helicopter
Bit pricey to fly to NZ when you live in UK Nick.

However my ambition when I retire is to follow England rugby around the world to glory .......hopefully.

From Saturday my weekend lie ins have to be given the elbow for the next couple of months for bacon sandwiches and the rugby on a 50 " screen.

Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Ian (Cape Town)
Will the all blacks choke... again?
will the defending champions come to the party?
will England be a force throughout the tournament?
will russia and namibia actually get on the scoreboard?
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Zero
Do we actually care?
>> Do we actually care?
>>

Very much so, thank you.
What a pefect excuse to light the fire, barbecue some meat, and consume beers at breakfast time!

Expect a revival of St George's cross flags on vehicles near you soon!

I don't think so, only one thing matters - spanking the Aussies. The rest are just inconsequential.
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Harleyman
>> I don't think so, only one thing matters - spanking the Aussies. The rest are
>> just inconsequential.
>>

The Welsh may indeed be inconsequential, their idea of a World Cup being restricted to beating England and just surviving against Italy; but spanking them gives some vicarious pleasure to us "exiles" and guarantees sullen silence in the drivers' room for at least a few hours!
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - R.P.
Do you work around Llangadoc Harley ?
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Dave_
>> Do we actually care?

Loads of posh middle class men watching some fella kick a ball over a bar

Bit like Stamford Bridge when Torres is playing.
Nawt middle class about the game in France, Wales or Scotland !
>> Nawt middle class about the game in France, Wales or Scotland !
>>

Or indeed working class in Scotland. They haven't had one for years.
Ok, so which of you lot will be getting up and hitting the boozer at 9:30 tomorrow?
Or for those north of the border, who will be staying up to watch the Romani game tonight?

I have a wedding to attend tomorrow afternoon - does attending in a black suit with white shirt with embroidered rose, whilst reeking of alcohol, considered bad form?
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Dave_
>> is attending in a black suit with white shirt with embroidered rose, whilst reeking of alcohol, considered bad form?

Only if you're the groom, I would have thought.
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Iffy
I played rugby poorly at school and have never fully understood it, which makes watching it on the telly less than satisfying.

Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Dutchie
I be watching looking forward to the matches.Used to play Rugby League average player.

Our son lives in Wellington he will be going to some of the matches.
England will have to play better than that if they want a sniff at the finals...
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - MD
Appalling show. We didn't deserve to win that one. Very sleepy first half.
Well, well - Wales very nearly pulled it off a well deserved win it would have been, they look like they're on form..!
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Duncan
What about the kick that was disallowed?
Just watching the discussion on it now - ((had to timeslip the programme) shame, really but despite losing, for the third match in succession they can hold their heads up high, Wales now has a new Welshman in Toby - he'll be invested to the Gorsedd at the next Eisteddfod !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 12:26
damn - Wales were unlucky. Our mob were on the back foot for the majority of the game, and didn't deserve the win.

Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - helicopter
As an Englishman I have never supported Wales but even I had to admit they were unlucky to lose.......

Plenty of room for improvement by all the home sides .....

England were poor but I dont think Argentina were the pushover they used to be ......do not forget they came third last time beating France in Paris 34 - 10.

Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - PhilW
"As an Englishman I have never supported Wales but even I had to admit they were unlucky to lose......."

Agreed retpo, Never before have I cheered for Wales but thought they were desperately
unlucky not to win. A really courageous and gritty performance. I didn't think Hook's penalty went over - watch the touch judge under left hand post , he runs outside the post to look up at ball which suggests ball was outside the post. Nevertheless, Wales had other chances - only the very well organised SA defence, and their ability to make the most of limited opportunities gave SA the victory. They look very competent and composed especially when subs came on.
Some cracking other games available on ITV i-player - France Japan was v exciting - looked like Japan could win at one stage, and Romania and USA also put up real fights. Some great rugby so far (but not from England!! But same was true last time and we got to final!!)
hats off to the kilt-wearers.
But what in god's holy name is wrong with England?
Against Argentina, they only started playing after 60 minutes, against the Jocks, they finally showed any flair after 70!
Maybe this is Johnno's cunning plan, keeping his tactics close to his chest, but it was a bit nerve-racking today!
Scotland should have won by any measure. Maybe Johnnie got his balls in a jumble. As a friend said on Facebook - a chariot with square wheels, which summed it up rather well.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 16:27
>> Scotland should have won by any measure.

the jocks are born losers.
They were playing like a bunch of footballers...
you mean they weren't eye gouging, punching, spitting, biting off ears or raking studs down someones face?
>> They were playing like a bunch of footballers...
>>
At least they showed a bit of fight. Unlike their round-ball counterparts in this neck of the woods last year ...
Bad comparison. Scotland played as if they were on fire in fairness and deserved to win
Unfortunately, R.P. they couldn't maintain the momentum for 80 minutes.
No you're right.
>> No you're right.
>>
Though whether England, who have looked decidedly ropey so far, especially against Argentina and Scotland, can progress, remains to be seen.
Maybe they have a cunning plan up their sleeves, but aside from a few minutes against Argies and Scotland, there hasn't been much evidence of that.
"aside from a few minutes against Argies and Scotland, there hasn't been much evidence of that"

As in 2003 and 2007! I'm an optimist, though England are doing their best to make me a pessimist. Nevertheless, next opponents are France who were carp against Tonga and lucky to win. Who knows what will happen - it's knockout rugby.
Mind you, we Leicester Tigers supporters would appreciate several teams being knocked out ASAP so that we get our 13 players back! Not doing too well in Aviva at mo - lost 4 out of 5 with our "second team"!! And no reduction in Season Ticket prices!
By the way, I thought Scotland were overpraised by the commenters this am. Steve Ryder said ALL the credit should go to Scotland. Yes, they played their usual game against England, totally fired up and if they played like that against other teams they would win far more matches (and might even score a few tries). But they lost.
If we beat France (not a foregone conclusion given that France can be carp one match and world beaters the next) we face Wales probably. Will Wales be fired up?? You bet - and they are a better team that Scotland.
I think I'll convert to Pessimism
>> >> Mind you, we Leicester Tigers supporters would appreciate several teams being knocked out ASAP so
>> that we get our 13 players back!

I noticed last week that they took a drubbing from Saracens.
why don't the rugby authorities (the 57 old pharts) wake up to the facts, and have a club break during world cups or international weekends?
Works well for football...

Trouble is when you see the All Blacks play you just know that that machine won't leave much standing, if England struggle against Argentina and Scotland, NZ will just swat them like an annoying fly.
Don't worry about the all blacks - their habit of choking will catch up with them shortly!
"NZ will just swat them like an annoying fly."
That's what we all said in '91, '95', '99, '03 and '07!
Have to admit that in each of those years I thought they were unbeatable also!
Carter and McCaw injured also - 2 key players?
But they do play magnificent total rugby. First saw them against England when they toured in about '67 - they were brilliant then as well. MaCrae and Davis in the centre played rugby like I'd never seen before
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJRLMm71FJc

and it's knockout rugby - remember France v ABs last time???
Enjoy the rugby - whoever wins (apart from Wales) ;-)
(note Smiley - if Wales win they have beaten the SH sides - I'll be cheering them in final if they get there - or the Irish - or the French!!!)
>> (note Smiley - if Wales win they have beaten the SH sides - I'll be
>> cheering them in final if they get there - or the Irish - or the
>> French!!!)

Haters gotta hate!
"Haters gotta hate!"
Yeah, but it doesn't always work like that. I remember visiting friends in Swansea in 1971 the day of Wales v England at Arms Park. Because we weren't doing anything in particular I decided to take the train to Cardiff to sample the atmosphere. Outside the ground, touts were offering £2 tickets (!!) for £50. Obviously I coudn't afford that but then a Welsh bloke approached me and offered me a ticket. I can't afford it was my reply but he said he would give me it at face value - £2 - it was his son's who was ill and couldn't attend. I told him I was English and he said it didn't matter - I looked like a genuine supporter. Thrilled, I went in to see England stuffed by a very good Welsh team (Edwards, John, Dawes, Gerald Davies, John Bevan, JPR etc) and, since I was standing on the South Terrace, I had the previlege of having the back of my legs "wet" by what I thought was spilled beer. Well, it was spilled but it had passed through a Welshman or several!! They were good though - Ponty front row demolished our pack and those magical packs did the rest.
Also remember Arms Park in '97. Tigers v Brive, Euro cup final. Again stuffed by a very good team - ended up applauding the opposition. Sometimes you have to acknowledge that the opposition is better and give them a round of applause because you appreciate how they played.
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - ....
>> I told him I was English and he said it didn't matter - I looked like a
>> genuine supporter.
>>
That sums Rugby Union up for me. Been to the Calcutta Cup at Murrayfield a few times and never seen any trouble considering the copious amounts of wreck the hoose juice consumed. Totally different to football...I love football but FIFA has destroyed it for me.
Phil,

You remind me of a Max Boyce song...

Wales defeated England in a fast and open game.
We sang 'Cwm Rhondda' and 'Delilah',
damn, they sounded both the same.
We sympathised with an Englishman
whose team was doomed to fail
So we gave him that old bottle, that once held bitter ale!
>> Phil,
>>
>> You remind me of a Max Boyce song...
>>
>>
>>
>> Wales defeated England in a fast and open game.
>> We sang 'Cwm Rhondda' and 'Delilah',
>> damn, they sounded both the same.
>> We sympathised with an Englishman
>> whose team was doomed to fail
>> So we gave him that old bottle, that once held bitter ale!
>>
>>
If you read Viz then Cwm translates as valley beneath the 13amp fuse wire.
"have a club break during world cups or international weekends?"
There wouldn't be much of a club season left!! World Cup 2 months (?), Home Nations from Jan to March (?). In non World Cup years there are the Autumn Internationals which seem to be Oct/Nov. We'd go months without a live club match.
>> "have a club break during world cups or international weekends?"
>> There wouldn't be much of a club season left!! World Cup 2 months (?), Home
>> Nations from Jan to March (?). In non World Cup years there are the Autumn
>> Internationals which seem to be Oct/Nov. We'd go months without a live club match.
>>
>>
By all means keep things going during the Home Nations/end-of-year tour, but a World Cup???
Locally, we're in the same boat - many of the Boks play for Western Province or the Bulls, both of whom are having a dismal season. But when the record books get written, nobody will remember that their poor season was due to having many key player missing.
"nobody will remember that their poor season was due to having many key player missing."
True Ian, but I guess we'll still go to the games hoping that some youngster will make a name for himself and become a "star" of the future.
Big loss to the club and supporters though if we don't make the payoffs or the Heineken Cup for next season and see some of the top British and French clubs at Welford Road.

>> I noticed last week that they took a drubbing from Saracens.
>> why don't the rugby authorities (the 57 old pharts) wake up to the facts, and
>> have a club break during world cups or international weekends?
>> Works well for football...
>>
When did that start ?
The Gooners and Chelsea field a weakened team every year during the Africa Cup of Nations. Often referred to as the African Nations but don't ask a Geordie to say that =8-O
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 19:46
>> >> >> >> Works well for football...
>> >>
>> When did that start ?
>> The Gooners and Chelsea field a weakened team every year during the Africa Cup of
>> Nations.

That is because CAF are a contrary mob, and refuse to be dictated to by colonialist Europe, so deliberately schedule their champs in January/February!
Up until a few years back, they even scheduled their qualifiers on different weekends than the europeans did, until Fifa stepped in and made them see sense, and thus the calender was harmonised.

Euro champs are played during the off-season, you'll notice.

Anyhats, back to Rugby - well done to Wales for a rub-their-noses-in-it win over Fiji.
>> No you're right.
>>
Isn't that an oxymoron??
It's a new classic !

"No you're right.

Isn't that an oxymoron??"

No, I don't think so.
The "no" refers to the fact that they couldn't maintain the momentum for 80 minutes (though it might be more correct to say "yes") and the "you're right" refers to the fact that he was right in saying it.
And I bet there is a double negative in my reply and probably a split infinitive and a mis'placed apos'trophe. But who care's - I understood the meaning and probably everybody el'se did to (o).
>>
>> "No you're right.
>>
>> Isn't that an oxymoron??"
>>
>>
>>
>> No, I don't think so.
>> The "no" refers to the fact that they couldn't maintain the momentum for 80 minutes
>> (though it might be more correct to say "yes") and the "you're right" refers to
>> the fact that he was right in saying it.
>> And I bet there is a double negative in my reply and probably a split
>> infinitive and a mis'placed apos'trophe. But who care's - I understood the meaning and probably
>> everybody el'se did to (o).
>>
>> Too! I understood too, but it always makes me grin, the no bit followed by a positive statement. I isn't 'aving a go it just makes me smile. Has it always been so, but I concede that everyone, including news readers (Radio 4) do it too. Phew. (-0-)
Carter out
Sad if you want to watch world's best players and feel sorry for him - player at peak of his game missing the most important tournament, he may not get another chance.
www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/newzealand/8801779/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-New-Zealand-fly-half-Dan-Carter-to-miss-rest-of-tournament-with-groin-strain.html
Last edited by: PhilW on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 23:37
 Rugby World Cup - 5 days to go... - Roger.
England were lucky.......not to lose by a bigger margin.
Here is the weather forecast. A heavy layer of smug will cover Wales for the next seven days; the depression over most of England could lead to wintery blasts, thunderstorms and possible earth tremors west of London.

Ah well; better losing to the French now than the sheep-shaggers next week! ;)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 8 Oct 11 at 11:53
Well H, Both sides have been consistent - Wales consistently well and England consistently bad - as someone (from Hastings) on FB says "A chariot with square wheels".
Yep, can't argue with that.... TBH England did not even deserve to make the quarter-finals. Shades of 1966 in the round ball "game", they're still trading on the 2003 win in Oz.

I'm wondering how much of Wales' success is down to having a Kiwi as their coach? Not disputing that their pool of talent isn't strong BTW, the current squad is as good as the legendary 70's sides; but it takes a good coach to get the best from them, and he's certainly got the motivation.

Gatland walking away with a World Cup on his own turf? It's not impossible; ye gods, they'll be voting Charlie out and installing Warren as the new Owain Glyndwr!
I think Gatland will have to settle with being invested into the bardic circle next year's Eisteddfod.
>> I think Gatland will have to settle with being invested into the bardic circle next
>> year's Eisteddfod.
>>
Does that mean he has to wear a silly costume, and speak like he's got a throat infection?

His colonial accent has softened quite a lot Ian.
>> His colonial accent has softened quite a lot Ian.
>>

He can only sound better than our clown-of-clowns, the man with the moustache...
Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman in a pub - there was no Welshman as he was still in New Zealand watching the rugby ! :-)
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - Meldrew
Please will someone explain to me what the odd bits of cloth or plastic are, which many players have attached round their thighs and wrists with lengths of gaffer tape. What are they for?
Last edited by: Meldrew on Mon 10 Oct 11 at 14:42
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - Zero
Much as I deride the Welsh, I am perfectly happy to support the welsh rugby team, in their bid to win the world cup in the same sporting way they would support ours...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYFxGPkPTyw&feature=related
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 13:32
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - R.P.
Good and realistic result for Wales really - they got beaten into fourth place (but not soundly and importantly not outclassed) - they should have won against the French and there is much national attention on the Irish-French referee, but the reality is they should have scored from at least one of the kicks they had at goal in that match. Seems the players distinguished themselves both on and off the pitch. They've had a good welcome home today, according to the BBC - the new pupster's name was at one time was between Shane and Sam ! Bet there will be a load of Welsh babies born in the last few weeks with the same names - there is a whole load of Barry-Johns in the nation after-all !

I'm quite glad that NZ won in the end !
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 24 Oct 11 at 18:55
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - Focusless
>> Please will someone explain to me what the odd bits of cloth or plastic are,
>> which many players have attached round their thighs and wrists with lengths of gaffer tape.

Haven't seen them, but are they for drying hands to get a better grip on the ball?
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - Meldrew
I posted the question on another forum and got the reply that they are used, mainly by forwards, to give something to grip when "lifting" in the line-out. Sounds plausible.
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - Zero
lifting should be banned.

Again.
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - Roger.
In my Rugby playing days it WAS banned.
 Rugby World Cup - 4 Years to go - HF
i think probably today's result was the one most of us were hoping for. The all-blacks are still magnificent, and the only team i would have wanted to beat them is of course england.
Latest Forum Posts