Non-motoring > Forum post rating system Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 102

Forum post rating system - car4play

We have now introduced a post rating system. This will allow you to rate other people's posts positively or negatively and should help to improve the quality of posts on this forum by users desiring to have favourable ratings by the community here.

• To rate a post simply click on the up (green) or down (red) arrows below a post
  • If you feel that a post has content that is offensive in any way you can also rate it as such and leave an optional comment for the moderators.
  • Click on the red circle to rate a post offensive.
  • As more people vote a post offensive, its offensive rating icon will become progressively more severe. At some point the post will be automatically hidden from view with the option of viewing it. Finally if a post is very offensive it will be completely hidden from view.
  • Once you have rated a post you cannot rate it again. If you rate a post positively you cannot report it as offensive. However, you can still send the moderators a comment about the post.
  • You cannot rate your own posts.
  • You can only rate if you are logged in.
  • You can only join in the rating system if you are a "qualified user". You have to have been registered on this site for a while and have made a certain amount of posts to be qualified.
  • You may be disqualified from rating if your posts have been adversely rated in the past.

This system has been tested rigourously here but may still have some teething troubles. We are aware of performance issues regarding threads with large numbers of posts and are working on a fix for this.

Enjoy!
Last edited by: car4play on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 16:21
 Forum post rating system - Bromptonaut
Will be interesting to see how this develops but at the moment I struggle to see the point.
Ah - we do need a way of knowing who the top contributors are and it is essential that bad stuff gets filtered out.
 Forum post rating system - BobbyG
But it is slowing my works machine, running IE8, right down, telling me its trying to run script?
Yes - it does this on THE very long post here. 187 replies is a lot though. It does run the script ok eventually. We are working on a fix.
 Forum post rating system - FotheringtonTomas
>> We have now introduced a post rating system.

Interesting - I have seen this n other sites, but the question is, "Why?".

>> This will allow you to rate other people's posts positively or negatively and
>> should help to improve the quality of posts on this forum by users desiring
>> to have favourable ratings by the community here.

Hm. This also gives a great opportunity to gang up on people and gag or get
rid of them.
>> Hm. This also gives a great opportunity to gang up on people and gag or
>> get rid of them.

And if you are all reasonable and responsible people what's wrong with that? Some people do need removing. At least now you have a voice.

Some rating = more democratic than no rating.
Last edited by: car4play on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 16:38
So how do we know what our rating is or is that just the mods that will know?
We have to let it run for a while to see what ratings get generated. At the moment there is nowhere for any of us to see what that is. The thresholds on a post getting hidden "for being too offensive" are also just set at a level we think will be ok, but again these will need tuning.
Last edited by: car4play on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 16:45
 Forum post rating system - captain grimes
I feel this is a big, big mistake. When people contribute here (and I write as a very occasional poster though regular and appreciative reader) they do so as part of a free and equal conversation - not to appeal to the gallery to give them a clap as on some ghastly Question Time. What of those who want to voice unpopular opinions, which often (IMO) deserve a hearing? - is their contribution to be in effect suppressed by a blizzard of negative ratings?

Next stop - avatars, signatures and a steep slope towards the Land of Naff?
>> I feel this is a big big mistake.
>> (snip)
>> Next stop - avatars signatures and a steep slope towards the Land of Naff?

I tend toward the first feeling. The "Next stop" vould be vile. There're many forums out there with these sorts of features, and many of them are truly "naff".
 Forum post rating system - Armel Coussine
Kicking the fat owl of the Remove repeatedly in the seat of the pants you mean?

'I say, chaps! Yarooh! Leggo!'

... or to put it another way, 'There's no need to get personal just because I keep posting links to unpleasant, bigoted, misleading, reactionary articles in the Daily Mail or the Sun.'

Or, 'There's no need to get personal just because I believe every word that is uttered about climate change and read interminable, boring, bien-pensant rubbish in the Grauniad.'

Or, '... because I spout parrot-fashion every ridiculous piece of nonsense about drugs or street crime I read in any paper or hear being discussed in the pub.'

Anyone offended yet? I do hope so. Perhaps someone can give me pointers. I hope to be prominent at both ends of the spectrum.
 Forum post rating system - Zero
>> And if you are all reasonable and responsible people what's wrong with that? Some people
>> do need removing. At least now you have a voice.

do they? WHO? dont hide behind a silly rating system, if there is someone on here you want to get rid of tell us who?
 Forum post rating system - Dog
>>> if there is someone on here you want to get rid of tell us who? <<<

Absolutely none I would imagine, Zilch - Zero :)
>> >>> if there is someone on here you want to get rid of tell us
>> who? <<<
>>
>> Absolutely none I would imagine Zilch - Zero :)

Your name will also go on the list.

What is it?
 Forum post rating system - MD
>> >> >>> if there is someone on here you want to get rid of tell
>> us
>> >> who? <<<
>> >>
>> >> Absolutely none I would imagine Zilch - Zero :)
>>
>> Your name will also go on the list.
>>
>> What is it?
>>
Pike, but don't tell 'em!
Sorry. Not very clear. I meant some people in general. No one in particular.
 Forum post rating system - crocks
My system is running slowly, even on this thread.

I've already made a mistake by rating the post above the one I wanted to, but I suppose I will get used to it.

Where will the users rating be shown?
 Forum post rating system - Pat
It's slowed me right down to wading through treacle too.

And, I'm afraid I dissaprove too.

Pat
 Forum post rating system - crocks
It is so slow now it is almost unusable.

I'm off now for a few hours and hope it improves.
I have also lost all my 'new post' markers, and the blue background for new posts.

Pat
Ah... those come and go Pat, I find.
Sorry Pat - there was a bug in the log in system we had to fix where a few new people were registering but then not being able to log in ok. This meant that you all may have got logged out and then back in again, which would have reset your 'new' flags.
Having trouble withthe new markers as well gald it's not just me!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 17:05
 Forum post rating system - Aretas
cos we hve 2 keep up wiv ovver sites that r all flash an no content innit
 Forum post rating system - Iffy
Last edited by: ifithelps on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 17:23
"This system has been tested rigourously here but may still have some teething troubles. We are aware of performance issues regarding threads with large numbers of posts and are working on a fix for this."

Assuming the idea is to get more and more replies to build up posts, surely launching an improvement with this known issue is going to be counter productive? Why not wait till everything is fully working before launching??

Not being critical, just seems to mirror issues which brought us all here in the first place!!
 Forum post rating system - Bellboy
ive voted lud for presidenty
 Forum post rating system - Runfer D'Hills
However well intended, I have to say I disapprove strongly of this feature. I think it will discourage some from contributing. It might even discourage me on my sensitive days.....

:-)
 Forum post rating system - Fenlander
How does forum post rating fit in with the relaxed ethos of this site? As others have said it can lead to ganging up, bullying, forum favourites etc. It can also lead to new or nervous posters feeling their input isn't valued.

How is it self moderation? Folks can mark posts up or down on a whim... just a single click... with no real thought or even handed standard of judgement. That's lynch mob law not moderation.

If it is allowed to run and the stats are produced I bet anything the *leading* poster will not be the best but the one with the biggest gang.

And of course at the moment it is locking up pages with the Windows script warning!

Stephen says.... *we do need a way of knowing who the top contributors are*

Why?

He also says... *Some people do need removing*

What already.... there's a hitlist?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 18:34
 Forum post rating system - VxFan
>> Stephen says.... *we do need a way of knowing who the top contributors are*
>>
>> Why?

Patience. All will become apparent soon.
 Forum post rating system - rtj70
Maybe this isn't going to be so well received after all.... maybe they will all go back to HJ when that forum is fit for purpose. Could be an own goal?

As for the need to remove comments from spammers etc.... I think we're happy for the mods to edit/remove those without us voting them off.... although voting some down (e.g. Ling) might appeal.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 20:28
 Forum post rating system - devonite
I`ve only replied to this particular post simply because i`ve run out of patience trying to get to the bottom of the thread!!!

however i would like to state that I dont rate this new rating system and would like to see it removed before it gets the chance to get rid of me!! - chances are like most "southerners" it wont understand "Northern humour" and i`ll probably be the first victim!

much rather be "moddded" and asked to leave by a human!

Big brother is now automated D`oh!
>> What already.... there's a hitlist?

No. Definitely not!

But you may find one day that a sabateur comes in here and you wish you had the vote!
 Forum post rating system - -
Nay nay and thrice nay...doesn't need a Soothsayer to forsee the problems with this, we're grown ups well of a sort able to make our own minds up about posts and poster's.

The Wail online has this pos and neg voting thing, too yah boo.
.. just killed the tooltips off. They were killing IE8. Firefox and Safari are ok (no doubt Chrome too), but clearly javascript on IE is not really up to it.
Glad you mentioned that. I thought I'd been cyber-castrated for speaking out of turn !

Yes - there are still problems with jquery selectors taking too long in IE in windows.
Maybe we will go back to good old-fashioned click events - something for tomorrow...
 Forum post rating system - Screwloose

If you don't think this is an appallingly bad idea - just research what happened to Seeking Alpha in NY; it degenerated into personality cliques attacking their opponents for top contributor spot and tore the whole site to shreds.
Its bad enough that they now expect us to vote for a bunch of schiesters for parliament, but on here as well?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 19:57
 Forum post rating system - civic_duty
I hope (here) we are not such a bunch of schiesters! :)
>> expect us to vote for a bunch of schiesters

Oi!

;)
 Forum post rating system - CGNorwich
In the eyes of some a good posting will equate with one reinforcing their existing prejudices .

I think that this will rapidly turn this forum into an online equivalent of the Daily Mail letter page. Can we not have a vote as to whether we think think this proposal is a good idea ?
 Forum post rating system - Bagpuss
>> I think that this will rapidly turn this forum into an online equivalent of the Daily Mail letter page.

Actually the online comments on the Wail website make for far more entertaining reading than the articles. It's just frightening to think those people are allowed to vote.

Forum post rating system - biker bones
i have to agree with the majority here , rating not a good idea . its like being back at school.
Can I ask a silly question at this point please ? The ratings keep changing but as far as I can see the little doofers which allowed ratings have been removed so where are the ratings coming from. Or is it only my little doofers ? Not that I want my doofers back you understand !

Forum post rating system - Manatee
I have doofers - I'll award you +1 ;-)
Well my doofers are missing. I may be on my way out..........

:-(
>> Well my doofers are missing. I may be on my way out..........
>>
>> :-(

DONT LOG OUT

Dont leave the building - you may never get back in again

your P45 is in the post.
>>voting some down (e.g. Ling) might appeal.

A very good example of why the system is flawed. Up to the site owner and mods to keep folks like Ling on track. There is/was benefit to much of what she posted but for many folks her style would cause posts to be marked down.... when in reality the style of many other posters is little worse but of course they're on the right team so guaranteed their votes.

I have no idea what the mysterious reason is to justify the need for a top poster position but I'd be amazed if it will apeal once revealed.
The Ling example is one for justifying the system I believe. The mods/site does not moderate we do. So mods/site are not 'blamed'.

It sounds like opinions should be taken for this new system. It could work well or be taken badly.
There have been many *Lings* rejected by the masses for no good reason over the years on HJ and other forums. I'm deeply uncomfortable with encouraging the pack mentality to deal with it. As much as modding is a job it *is* the mods job to deal with posting policy. Done properly to a fair guideline set by a fair site owner it works very well....

as it has here so far!
>>The Ling example is one for justifying the system I believe

Could be interesting then - I rather liked the Ling posts I saw - maybe I missed some.

Direct, intelligent and with something to say is good for me, whether I agree or not.

That said these post rating things are usually used to indicate agreement, a vote for or against the opinion posted - interesting but ultimately could lead to a fairly homogeneous community, which would be a loss.
I don't feel strongly one way or the other, which I suppose means I don't see the need.

A thread rating system might have some value for those without enough time to read everything - forums like pprune.org, with a very high volume of posts, use thread ratings which can be a useful way of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

(Interestingly there are also large volumes of posts removed on pprune, but usually because they are just repeating a point already made or they are just drivel - NOT because they contravene some arcane rule - in other words, in the interests of readability rather than censorship of inconvenient opinions).
I think the intention here is that if there are enough votes against a post it gets hidden and may need you to click on something to show it. Enough negatives and its gone for good.

There are other planned changes which may affect us more. I cannot comment on what I know but I do know more. And maybe car4play should seek feedback. This voting system is just the start.
Just re-read the original post. It would seem I have indeed been de-doofered. Not sure whether to be offended or quietly smug about that...........Be nice to know why though if only for the curiousity value.
I have doofers. I just gave you a red down arrow, just to abuse my postion of doofer power.
I'm cool with that.

but nothng happened.

I feel declawed and impotent.
It's going up and down like.......well you know......
>> There are other planned changes which may affect us more.

Just to add, to affect you in a positive way.
I like this, it's fun!
My doofer returned to life when i logged in!!
Mine hasn't. Must be more saloon drivers out there than one would imagine.....

Hey Ho.

Forum post rating system - Avant
To be honest, I thought this should have appeared on 1 April, before noon.

I enjoy this forum. Like most I come on it to relax and chat with online friends. Thatr's why 'car4play' is a very good name.

We don't need to be competitive or to sit in judgement on each other.

So don't do it!
Seems a bit erratic, I can rate some posts but others "fade to gray" when I try.
...Seems a bit erratic..

Erratic here, too.

The new posting markers now don't work properly, and I was getting some error message/locked out on the Eee PC earlier on.

Thought we'd left this sort of garbage behind at the other place.

Forum post rating system - Dulwich Estate
Mad, mad, mad. What next ? How green is my post ? Did I use the right spelling ? How about extra points for clever use of English.. anyone for a dose of alliteration or hyberbole.

Tosh, tosh, tosh. Who thought this up ? Someone who works full time for NHS ?

Rate me and I'm out of here.
Yay! 20mins to get here! so this post is my flag! I claim this spot in the name of perseverence!!!

p.s
my post about this sort of Northern humour is further up this downhill mountain at base camp.
>>>Rate me and I'm outa here<<<<

Exactly how I feel.
The htread about lorries overtaking is always an emotive one. It's also one I was completely torn apart for on the HJ Forums, as is usual when you mention the subject other than in a transport cafe over a bacon sarnie.

It was posted on these forums yesterday and I fely comfortable here being able to have a proper, adult and reasoned discussion on it.
I find this morning that my reply has been 'marked down' twice. There are no posts to explain the point from whoever marked it down, no discussion, point of view, or even the decency to stand up and be counted for what they feel.

It's a cowards button, no more and no less, and as such it's something I certainly don't want to be a part of.

It goes against the whole ethos of car4play and makes me realise that maybe I am more fitted to our lorry driving forums. We have avatars and smilies...............but we also have the guts write in words what we think, and to face the criticism.

Dissapointed, dissallusioned and disheartened.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 8 Apr 10 at 06:00
I am with Pat. End of.

Martin D.
 Forum post rating system - Old Navy
And so am I.
 Forum post rating system - swiss tony
'vote' me in agreement with Pat...

'A little power in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing'
 Forum post rating system - matt a
Vote me in aswell
 Forum post rating system - teabelly
I'm agreement with Pat. A positive only voting system would be fine. Kind of a pat on the back so to speak :-)

Negative voting is divisive and it seems to have messed up the 'new' posts thing which is far more disasterous.

Switch it off please!
Well the only comfort I can offer to all is that whatever ratings you have gained or lost it wasn't me ! I've had my doofers cut off. It didn't hurt in any physical way but I may be mentally scarred for life. I wonder where they are and who's got them ?

I think you need to be logged in to get the doofers, at least that was the case with my doofers. I'm trying to decide which is preferable - getting positive ratings or getting negative ratings.
Congrats Pat. I was aiming for the most negative marks, and you beat me to it.

(mumbles "it was her elephant racing mates blocking the road that stopped me getting past her")

...Dissapointed, dissallusioned and disheartened...

I think Pat is taking this a bit more to heart than it needs to be, but I'm in full agreement with her overall sentiment.

These ratings have already caused upset and disquiet for no benefit, so they should be binned.

It seem to me the management is using us in their own anthropological experiment, which I find mildly objectionable.

"Let's put the illegal immigrant in the same cell as the racist and see what happpens."

This is just a suggestion of course, but has anyone ever considered having flavoured posts,
we could have Tootie Fruty, Pina Colada, Pistacio, Bubble Gum, Toffee etc., etc., etc.
Lemme know what you think!
Chocolate for me, every time.

You always make me laugh when I want to be angry really, I hope Mrs Zero appreciates you properly:)

Pat
>> I'm agreement with Pat. A positive only voting system would be fine.

I think car4play's post has been overlooked by some people:-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=780

"clearly the sword hanging over people with the threat of negative rating has an adverse effect on this site and will almost certainly get chopped itself. It seems that many of you have the impression that somehow we want to ban overly negative rated posts or posters. This was never our intention. So to avoid the confusion we will probably get rid of the negative. "

"The word "rate" doesn't seem to be an accurate enough description of what we are looking for either. "Helpful", "informative", "good point" seem better because these could encourage a plus even on posts that you might disagree with for example."

Perhaps some of you could read car4play's post in full, then give some more constructive feedback.

Vx.
I honestly can't see what the issue here is Re: feedback - its hardly akin to being water-boarded after all.
See how it goes is what I say - inc. the neg, could well inject a bit more fun into what is (after all) a fun forum.
I'll probably get top Marx anyway, like wot I did in skool (must try harder!)
I have read the post by Car4Play you mention Vx and sadly, in my eyes, it changes nothing.

Pat's grumble about her 2 elephant overtake negatives are a classic example of why the rating system is flawed. She was unhappy about the post being marked negative and mentioned it elsewhere so 4 kind folks went over and made her post double positive a bit earlier.... and then someone else has popped over to add a negative so she's just plus 1.

Is it about the post content... no more like friendship vs gamesmanship.

I use a couple of forums for advice where there are post ratings... I never take notice of the ratings and always judge the content for myself.

If rating has to stay I'd rather see the negative stay as well so it gives folks the chance to balance the positives which are so often awarded for the wrong reasons.
> Perhaps some of you could read car4play's post in full, then give some more constructive feedback.

We have read it. We do understand it.

Feedback?

1/ Mostly we dont see the need for it
2/ Mostly we dont like the idea
3/ Mostly we think it will be harmful to the feel of the forum.

I thought that was perfectly clear?
Unilateralism can work both ways.

one way or the other
>> one way or the other
>>
You're never alone with schizophrenia!
and you get to choose your mates
>> and you get to choose your mates
>>
Who was he?
 Forum post rating system - Avant
I too have read C4P's post in full, as is only fair.

Could someone answer the point I made above, which is similar to others -

"I enjoy this forum. Like most I come on it to relax and chat with online friends. Thatr's why 'car4play' is a very good name. We don't need to be competitive or to sit in judgement on each other."

Without mentining names, this will never happen on any forum where I'm a moderator - simply because, to me at least, rating other people's posts (positively or negatively) isn't the spirit of an online forum.

Ok here is some positive feedback.

I can see some benefit for having feedback in the black and white yes or no type sections. IE for car technical/computer related/IHAQ sections

There is no benefit in having ratings for discussion type sections, where it is divisive and counter productive.

Cna the rating ssytem be selectively turned on and off by drop down?
Thanks. We did discuss that here and thought there was a lot of merit in this idea. We were going to put very little weight, if any, on posts in the non-motoring section. However, if we got rid of it in those areas you have to be happy with not being able to quickly give a vote of thanks to someone for the simple advice they may have given you in that section.
e.g. "what bread machine is best for .... ?"
"Oh this one works well..." (thanks for that - good idea..)

Someone else reading this from outside was thinking the same question, sees the answer and also thinks "thanks for that - good idea..", is a low-usage member but agrees with the sentiment and gives a "thanks" too.

This isn't much use to us, but it may be for the outsiders who are scanning down the list to see what the consensus thinks the most helpful answer is.

The risk is as you say on more delicate subjects than bread machines...
>> The risk is as you say on more delicate subjects than bread machines...
>>

well no one else wants to contribute comment yet, but I would say that the nature of the non specific sections has such thread drift and banter it makes it a little difficult to rate.

such is the nature of the beast(s) on here.
The OP has a "rating" of "green arrow pointing up/green 2".

Why is this, since I pressed the "down arrow" on it?
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Thu 8 Apr 10 at 12:39
 Forum post rating system - L'escargot
Are the clicks on the buttons anonymous, or do you know who clicks on what?
I don't want to be accused of either favouritism or obsequiousness.
Well ....just to stir things up, if nobody clicks on them, they wont have they desired effect for the site, the majority of folk on here get their own way - no one will judge anybody, - we win!

simples!
I'm with the perro here. I can see why people might not see the point of rating but I can't see why it bothers them. Anonymous positive/negative/offensive rating doesn't really say anything intelligible to the individual concerned. It could well be that no one has understood the real meaning of the post. That does happen from time to time.

As Pat points out, an answering post criticising the tone or content of a post does have some meaning, and establishes a dialogue. But sometimes one thinks, hooray! or boo! without wanting to bother with a detailed answer. Perhaps the buttons should say Hooray and Boo.

Frankly I think you are all being a bit paranoid. Who gives a real damn for the worthless opinions of unknowns?

Heh heh. All together now: BOO!
My objection is not based on any worry of being given negatives or missing out on positives for my posts. It's a broader thing with regard to the benefit the forum provides to the masses.... those that may only drop in now and again in particular.

I don't want to see their trust in particular posts (answers/advice if you like) being biased by random clicks of others in the past.
EDIT: just read the other post...
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 8 Apr 10 at 18:02
Thank heavens it will soon be bedtime.
 Forum post rating system - L'escargot
Perhaps there'a a prize for the most complimentary clicker.
Latest Forum Posts