Non-motoring > Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 22

Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - L'escargot
I'm considering buying a DMR-EZ48VEBK to replace our current now-defunct recorder. It's described as having a digital tuner with all Freeview channels. One review I've read said that it's not compatible with an analogue TV which is what we have. Is this true? Here's what Panasonic say about it. shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/dmrez48vebk I'm aware that I can get one cheaper than Panasonic's price.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - teabelly
If you don't want to keep things you record then an HD based recorder is much less bother. No disk swapping, no running out of room. Also means you can check the guide weekly and set everything up to record in one go. I have one made by topfield. Apart from a tuner failure which was replaced easily enough it has been great over the last 4 or so years I've had it. You can record two programmes and watch a third or watch a recorded programme at the same time. Not all twin tuner pvrs allow this.

Not sure how it could be incompatible with an analogue tv exactly as I'd assume you could just use a scart lead and plug it into the tv.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - spamcan61
I haven't found the detailed specification for this box but the 'incompatible' comment probably means that this unit doesn't have an RF modulator i.e. you can't tune in an analogue telly to view the box's output as a 'normal' analogue TV channel, like we used to do with VCRs.

This is unlikely to be an issue for you, as the unit has two SCART sockets and HDMI, so provided your telly has a SCART socket or HDMI then you are OK.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - AnotherJohnH
That Panasonic machine is an interesting compromise, in that you can still get through your back catalogue of (now virtually obsolete) VHS tapes, and burn to DVD for archive, but the single tuner aspect is likely to irritate as programmes do clash.

As mentioned, the better twin tuner machines do allow dual recordings, with an option to watch some other programmes.

What you can watch while dual recording is a bit difficult to understand initially, as it is either any programme if you are recording two from the same multiplex - say BBC1 and BBC2 (as you have a free tuner).
Or view any of the programmes on the two multiplexes you are receiving for your twin recordings, when you are recording one programme from each receiver.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - JohnM{P}
Is the review extract you have seen:

"This machine has a digital tuner, which means it'll receive Freeview but there's no analogue tuner, so it's not suitable for those who haven't switched to digital TV."

I read that as if you cannot get a good Freeview signal, be aware that you cannot use the machine to record from the trusted (but soon to be defunct) analogue signal.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - Iffy
A poster in the simple life thread described this type of machine as over complicated.

Unless you want to keep your recordings for a long time, or carry them around, a hard disk drive recorder is much simpler and cheaper.

If you still want to play video tapes, you could keep your existing machine, or you could record the video tape onto the hard drive recorder.

One thing I want to be able to do is copy video tapes onto DVD, and I haven't found a machine with a twin tuner which will do that. Our current recorder has packed up so I'm looking for the most versatile machine I can find. I'm not bothered about having a hard drive.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 11:56
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - Zero
>> One thing I want to be able to do is copy video tapes onto DVD
>> and I haven't found a machine with a twin tuner which will do that. Our
>> current recorder has packed up so I'm looking for the most versatile machine I can
>> find. I'm not bothered about having a hard drive.

you have a machine to copy VHS to DVD. You are typing on it.

You do need a hard drive recorder, you just dont know it yet. Seriously its a boon.
>> You do need a hard drive recorder you just dont know it yet. Seriously its
>> a boon.
>>

I've taken your advice and decided that a Toshiba RDXV59DT would be better. It has a 250GB hard drive. And according to Comet's question and answer service it can be used in conjunction with our existing digibox to enable one digital programme to be recorded whilst watching another.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - teabelly
You'll need an older version of that machine perhaps. Mine copies from vhs to dvd. Try Richersounds as they often have end of line stuff floating around.

DMR-EZ45V is the model I have. It has one digital and one analogue tuner. Connects to the tv via scart or hdmi. No uhf signal out but it does have a uhf pass through. It does differ to the panasonic vhs recorder/ dvd player I had before as I think this one blocks either the analogue or digital signal so I couldn't have it wired up the same as the old one. Was a real nuisance!

Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - Bellboy
i assume you need a good quality vhs player for old tapes sake?
i got a last of the top of the range sony vhs machine from a friend that does house clearances these are unsaleable in the modern market so i got it for free (i use mine for survelliance recording undercover work)cctv
anyway a quick look on ebay shows up plenty of good makes for little more than half a crown
i would buy one of these from a dribble free home and also buy a hdd recorder for televisual recordings,mine came refurbished delivered to my home for £39.99 all in from maplins and its superb quality twin tuner easy peasy to record on

ignore my post then as i wroted it during before and after your update>>>>>>>>>11.57 a and m
Last edited by: Bellboy on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 11:59
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - Fenlander
Another vote for getting a machine with a hard drive + DVD capability. The hard drive system is brilliant for keeping the recordings for a couple of weeks to see if you really want them long term and then only burning to DVD if essential. Also you can simply edit bits out (ads, over-runs etc) while on the hard drive so the DVD is a nice clean recording. For example I record long music concerts like Glastonbury on the BBC and then edit down perhaps 10hrs footage to the 1hr of artists I want and then burn that to DVD.

On the subject of transferring VHS videos it's far better to get an old machine as mentioned above and junk it once the transfers are done. I have a top of the range Hitachi from about 6yrs ago... perfect working order and once I've had a weekend doing our transfers I'll take it down the tip as they are all but unsaleable.

Finally having a new hard drive/DVD machine plus an old VHS machine just to do the transfers would enable you to put the videos to hard drive first and edit before making the DVDs.
>> i would buy one of these from a dribble free home and also buy a
>> hdd recorder for televisual recordings mine came refurbished delivered to my home for £39.99 all in from maplins and its superb quality twin tuner easy peasy to record on
>>
>>
Are these the digihome / durabrand / alba ones bb? We've got 3 of those at home now ( refurbs from ebuyer) which all behave pretty well and are indeed easy to drive.
...which all behave pretty well....

I have a Digihome in the caravan.

It used to tune in 6Music when you asked for 5Live, but other than that, it works a treat.

I think a lot of them acted up, making phantom recordings, or not recording what they were asked to do.

But if you get a good one, they are hard to beat for value, and easy to use as Spmacan says.

I think the earlier Vestel ones ( T816 hardware) played up more than the later ones like mine ( T825 hardware). Confusingly I think both T816 and T825 have been sold under the same model numbers under the various brands. The later ones with TUTV functionality had issues as well. I don't recall any failed / wrong recordings on the one in my lounge at least, even the household technophobes are getting the hang of live pause and series record.

edit : where did the ability to rate postings suddenly come from?
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 16:07
...where did the ability to rate postings suddenly come from?...

Dunno, but I can't see the point of it.

Too easy to prosecute feuds by marking down your post because you marked down mine.

This means any ratings are meaningless, but other than that, it's a good idea. :)
Last edited by: ifithelps on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 16:17
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - rtj70
I am sure Khoo Systems and the mods will explain this. It's all to improve the forum. So if someone were to post and you all disagree etc then you can vote them down. Those getting lots of positive feedback will benefit in ways too.
>>
>> This means any ratings are meaningless but other than that it's a good idea. :)
>>

I few forums I hang around on use them and I rapidly came to the same conclusion. Still, they're there for those that want them.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - rtj70
This site has some very good ideas around self-moderation etc. I see Stephen has started to implement his ideas. Well done to him. We'll all benefit when it is all live and we all know what it's about.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - Pat
But if we all ignore them..................................:)

Pat
>> edit : where did the ability to rate postings suddenly come from?
>>

I want you all to talk about my recorder problem, not rating posts!
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 8 Apr 10 at 07:54
>> >> edit : where did the ability to rate postings suddenly come from?
>> >>
>>
>> I want you all to talk about my recorder problem not rating posts!
>> ;-)
>>

Fair enough, my fault!

Anyway, as I stated above, it is highly unlikely that you'll have a problem connecting that unit to your TV, although as discussed there are options available that are potentially cheaper / more flexible, depending on your medium term requirements.
 Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - Stuartli
A Freeview tuner basically converts digital signals back to analogue, hence the reason why analogue TVs can still be used in conjunction with a digital (Freeview) set top box.

I presume that the Panasonic recorder will provide the same outcome (probably?) if used with a Scart lead connection. My Panasonic TV has analogue, Freeview (digital) and Freesat tuners built-in.
Latest Forum Posts