Non-motoring > Can the stolen gadgets be disabled? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 1

Can the stolen gadgets be disabled? - Iffy
In common with many people, I was both disgusted and frustrated watching news coverage of the looting.

Disgusted with the behaviour, and frustrated that 99 per cent of the thieves will get away with it.

So I was wondering if their wings can be clipped a little bit by making the booty worthless.

I think I'm right in saying a stolen mobile phone can be made useless because the networks can be set to block its IMEI number, whatever SIM card is put in.

What of laptops?

Assuming the retailer has the Windows 7 serial number, can Microsoft send something horrible to disable the computer running just that version?

I'm guessing there's not much can be done with a flatscreen telly, or perhaps it can if it's internet enabled and thieves log on.

Can the stolen gadgets be disabled? - Zero

>> I think I'm right in saying a stolen mobile phone can be made useless because
>> the networks can be set to block its IMEI number, whatever SIM card is put
>> in.

Correct, BUT stolen phones end up abroad where other networks dont block the IMEI number.

>> What of laptops?
>>
>> Assuming the retailer has the Windows 7 serial number, can Microsoft send something horrible to
>> disable the computer running just that version?

There have been several ways of doing this in the past, mostly by third party solutions, most are defeated by doing a simple reload of the OS. There are on board passwords that make them unusable, but again most are defeated by those who know.

>> I'm guessing there's not much can be done with a flatscreen telly, or perhaps it
>> can if it's internet enabled and thieves log on.

Again, easily defeated by those who know. As there is a ready trade in half inched stuff of this ilk there are plenty "in the know"

Its a balance between making too hard for the user to switch on and use, and making it hard for the tealeaf. Mostly us consumers win that argument,.
Latest Forum Posts