Non-motoring > Thoughts for the day Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 41

Thoughts for the day - Meldrew
If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not a good choice!
 Thoughts for the day - R.P.
Jumped to a conclusion there eh ?
 Thoughts for the day - madf
If you believe in re-incarnation, skydiving is a perfectly logical choice.. second time round, third, fourth..

Unless you are reborn as a bull of course...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 10:36
 Thoughts for the day - Cliff Pope
I've always chuckled at the old joke about the kamikaze pilots' reunion dinner - no one turned up.
 Thoughts for the day - Zero
>> If you believe in re-incarnation, skydiving is a perfectly logical choice.. second time round, third,
>> fourth..

So why do they need hang gliding instructors?
 Thoughts for the day - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>>
>> So why do they need hang gliding instructors?
>>

Because you have to really believe in reincarnation. Suppose you thought you did, really wanted to believe, but lost your faith right at the last moment? Then your training would kick in instead.
or the thought that clearly they hadn't learned the first time?
 Thoughts for the day - devonite
Time is a great healer!

ok then, why does it always kill it`s patients?
 Thoughts for the day - bathtub tom
>>So why do they need hang gliding instructors?

I bought a hang glider and flew it without any instruction, although I had read the book - it hurt!

I subsequently took proper instruction.
 Thoughts for the day - Dutchie
Very brave to use a handglider not for me .I don't mind climbing or sailing in rough weather.
 Thoughts for the day - Badwolf
Laughter is the best medicine. Unless you are diabetic, in which case insulin is probably better.
 Thoughts for the day - Armel Coussine
I'm wimpish about heights. Met a couple of times many years ago a keen hang-glider who killed himself doing it. Not for me either. Or proper climbing come to that. It's amazing I am not more scared of flying in aircraft. Something to do with a pathetic, childlike faith in the machine and its snoozing, hungover, mentally unstable drivers.

Seasickness apart though, I don't mind sailing in rough water at all even though it isn't an experience I would seek.
 Thoughts for the day - RattleandSmoke
I am scared of heights too, especially ladders. I did climb up the Anglesey Column and that was quite scary. As for ladders I can only get up 4-5 steps. I did once managed to get enough courage to climb in the loft to change the broken inlet valve on the cold water tank though.

I am also scared of flying and avoid it if I can.

I do live trains though and it dosn't bother me if they do 180mph.

You will not get me on any roller coaster.
I climb once on the roof rattle to check the arial.Left the ladder under the gutter couldn't see it to get down.Neighbour had to shout where to put my feet.

Brown trousers day.;)
 Thoughts for the day - CGNorwich
You probably wouldn't enjoy this stroll then
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-nTcslBXpA
I used to be part of the fire team at BP AC We did some training at Morton on the Marsh world famous place for Fire training.I take my hat off to proper Fire fighters very brave in the line of duty as they say.I have been on roller coasters with my daughter but have been scared out of my wits;) Won't do it again.

Am i am scared of heights, but i dont dare show it.

I once abseiled down some scaffold tower just to prove I was tough to my son.

My insides were like a wobbly jelly.

You would think it was cured doing that - no chance, my knees tighten and my stomach still lurches when confronted by a height.
I can't inmagine you to be scared of anything Zero.:)
I'm not scared of heights - aeroplanes, mountains, platforms etc etc...but I hate climbing ladders !
I am not too scared of heights if I have complete control, so I would not be too scared if I was on top of a mountain providing the access up and down was easy.

Ladders are dangerous things, my dad was up one painting the ceiling (only 5 steps) and he passed out fell off, broke his arm in three places and was in hospital for two weeks.

Thoughts for the day - Stuu
Whenever people ask me why I dont like flying in aeroplanes ( an assumption as I dont go abroad, I actually just cant be bothered ), I think it was Mike Reid who said he would rather go by boat as he can swim a few strokes if the boat sinks but he cant fly if the plane breaks down mid-air.
It was funny the way he put it, but cant ignore the logic :-)

>> It was funny the way he put it, but cant ignore the logic :-)

Indeed that is the case. I always said that putting life jackets under your seat was a waste of s space and weight.

But wait

Take your mind back to 2009, Hudson River New York and US Airways flight 1549. Perfect landing on water, and it floated.
I think that is the thing I hate about flying the most, it is the lack of control, the 737s I went on also seemed to change revs as the attitude changed and every time I did that I had a fear that the engines were cutting out.

Then I went on an A319 to Berlin, lets just say I think the poor bloke who sat next to me wished he hadn't, my mate just thought it was funny.

Will never fly again, done it three times and each time was as bad as I could imagine, although the last time I took a cocktail of Chinese herbal medicines to sedate me.
>> cocktail of Chinese herbal medicines to sedate me.

You should double the dose next time Sheikha. That way you will be able to do without the aircraft altogether.
 Thoughts for the day - PeterS
>> I think that is the thing I hate about flying the most, it is the
>> lack of control, the 737s I went on also seemed to change revs as the
>> attitude changed and every time I did that I had a fear that the engines
>> were cutting out.

And yet you like buses/trams/trains over which you also have no control as a passenger and which have higher accident rates per passenger KM than air travel I think...

Peter
 Thoughts for the day - Meldrew
Rattle - how many car crashes incidents/accidents have you been in and, if any, do you still travel in car? Remember the men up front in an aircraft are probably nearer the point of impact than you and and have the same interest as you in getting to their destination!
Ladders can be dangerous rattle.When I was a lad in Rotterdam the window cleaners used to walk on the window ledge on heights crazy.
Rats

Flying is by far the safest form of transport - even walking can be dangerous...!
 New Thought for the day - Meldrew
One American in three is fatter than the other two!
 New Thought for the day - RattleandSmoke
The stats I have seen suggest that the safest form of transport in terms of chances of survival per mile is the train. There are more train crashes than air crashes, but most train crashes result in no deaths or even injuries are mostly very minor.

There are far less air crashes, but the results are a lot worse, hence more deaths per mile.

I cycle quite a bit which is also dangerous, but I am in complete control.
 New Thought for the day - Zero

>> There are far less air crashes, but the results are a lot worse, hence more
>> deaths per mile.

*ALL* the stats say that your chances of you being killed in a mass transport accident are so remote that it is meaningless to consider it.

>> I cycle quite a bit which is also dangerous, but I am in complete control.

Except of course when you travel by bike on public roads which is very dangerous indeed If you think you are in full control you are very much mistaken. You have no control over any other road user, and its them that will kill you, not your bike.
 Thoughts for the day - MD
>> Ladders are dangerous things, my dad was up one painting the ceiling (only 5 steps)
>> and he passed out fell off, broke his arm in three places and was in
>> hospital for two weeks.
>>
In three places? As Tommy Cooper said, "Well don't go to those places then".
 Thoughts for the day - devonite
In view of the Tonight programme Devonite has come up with a new Proverb:

A "Clip aback o lug" saves a kid from Ritalin.
 Thoughts for the day - sooty123
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 20:33
Freshco ?
 Thoughts for the day - sooty123
Did my OP Fresco training there huge place all sorts of training facilities. Saw quite a few freeze at the top of the ladders and had to get talked down some got RTU'd as well.

Should have been in reply to Dutchie, but somethings not working.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 20:38
 Thoughts for the day - Ted

I don't really have a fear of heights, I am quite comfortable on the roof of the house or up the ladders at the highest point, the front gable which is between 25 and 30 feet.

However, stand on the bathroom scales and my legs turn to jelly, I'm all right if I put just one finger on the wash basin. Likewise, stand on a chair to change a light bulb and I feel as if I'm going to fall off !

I've thought about it and it seems the situation where I'm OK is the one where I'm able to steady myself with a hand or even a knee...as in the case of ladders. Funny old world.

I don't mind flying but I've noticed a spot in the take off where the ground stops ' rushing away ' from you and the engine noise changes. I guess that's when less thrust is needed...or the pilot has fluffed the gears and can't get the damn thing into second !

No doubt Alfa F will be along to tell us.
 Thoughts for the day - Roger.
If you never expect anything you won't be disappointed.
 Thoughts for the day - bathtub tom
I'm terrified of heights. A flat roof with a low barrier gives me the willies. I worked in a twelve story building that had an open staircase (four flights for each floor, with a damn great square opening in the middle) that brought me out in cold sweats if I looked over.

I tried hang-gliding without problems, other than hitting the ground hurts.

I've done a parachute jump. Nothing can take away the thrill of standing on a small platform, outside of, a high-winged monoplane at a couple of thousand feet, with the stall warning screeching - then letting go of the wing-strut. I broke my ankle.

So why does it frighten me if I'm standing on something solid, looking over?
 Thoughts for the day - henry k
I have flown many hundreds of times and in spite of knowing a little about aircraft etc I am pretty relaxed about it.
I have onlly experienced one flight with obvious problems. It took of on an internal trip from Jeddah but soon stopped climbing. It did a tight circuit and landed back at Jeddah.
One week after I went on a flight to Cyprus the same flight number the following week was blown out of the sky.

On my regular trips to Riyadh the sight of the burned out Tristar just fenced off was always a reminder of what might be.
Do NOT view if you are squeemish about flying. You have been warned!!
www.flickr.com/photos/naqvi/2270282759/

SWMBO got a panic on during some bumps over the Tasman so I had to stop videoing :0(
I have never experienced real nasty weather when flying.
I have however had near escapes from crashing airliners while I was on the ground.
When the horsebox crashed into Terminal 1 at Heathrow, I had been standing at that spot two hours earlier.
On another occasion I rushed out of my builing to be confronted by a 707 on fire facing me.
Fortunately for us it had stopped but we froze in shock watching it burn.

One experience I was not too happy with was the glass floor in the CNN tower.
search for CNN tower glass floor - if you dare.

Thoughts for the day - CGNorwich
The thing about heights is that you get used to them. Whenever I climb a ladder after having not use one for a while I feel distantly nervous. Once I get working the fear fades and after a while I actually quite enjoy working at a height. It's lugging the wretched ladder around that's a pain.
My BiL sent a week or so back a set of photos of blokes painting, cleaning windows and so on in situations that look far from safe. Were I Zero I would bung them into photobucket to give you all the shivers, but I can't because I'm hopeless.

Actually the window cleaner used to terrify me at our old gaff. He would stand outside on a crumbling fourth-floor windowsill holding onto the crumbling sash window, cleaning away 60 feet above the brick-floored front area, with things like balcony railings and spikes to hit on the way down. It made me so squeamish I couldn't even worry about the insurance cover.

He gave up in the end and started sitting on the windowsill with his feet inside. Not a thing I would have done but far less frightening. Nice guy, old-style cockney probably five or ten years younger than me. He had grandchildren before I did though I think.
Latest Forum Posts