Non-motoring > Where would you work? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 32

Where would you work? - Stuu
My BIL is going to be coming to live in the UK and he essentially has a clean slate as to what he does careerwise.

He currently works in OZ for the government looking for corporate tax fraud but has university level qualifications in hotel management he got in the US and has run a hotel complex in India before he went to OZ 10 years ago. I dont know his precise qualifications, so Im talking generally atm. I know he enquired about a work visa and apparently he gets more than enough points to be allowed in, so thats not an issue.

He has no fixed idea what he wants to do, he is 36 and wants a new challenge, but not one which will keep him away from home for excessive hours what with a young child he wants to see.

So, my question is, what industries are the ones to go for in the current climate? Where are the opportunities, what is likely to grow? He has no issue with working for the public services and before he made the decision to come here, he was considering a move into the australian health services in some capacity.

My first thought was the green energy/tech area because I cant see anything stopping that, but I dont really know myself, I just clean cars!

Where would you work? - Iffy
Do you know where he's going to live?

Where would you work? - Zero
well he can count out working for National Government, Local Government or public services - recruiting has been suspended.

NO good going into the hospitality area if he wants short hours the two dont mix, and if he want to work locally (Midlands / east midlands) frankly I think his chances of getting work are pretty limited.

Did you warn these two what things are like here? they seem to have a rosy dewy eyed vision.

They are both in for a nasty nasty shock.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Jul 11 at 18:34
Northants somewhere Iffy, but he will do an hour on the train like he does now if needs be.

>>Did you warn these two what things are like here? they seem to have a rosy dewy eyed vision<<

They know, they have plenty of money atm and will be able to go a year or so before either need a job with an urgency, but that does give him time to look about. They will be staying with my parents for atleast 6 months virtually for free so there wont be an alarming amount of pressure other than that which he puts on himself to provide for his family.

So putting aside what isnt good, what is/will be on the up? He is very open to what he does, he doesnt like what he does now, just does it for the pay grade.

www.randstad.co.uk/find-jobs/jobs/job-search-results.html?rc=h5&r=true
www.randstad.co.uk/find-jobs/jobs/job-search-results.html?rc=j1&r=true

Can he sell? always work for salesmen.
He said he would work in Mcdonalds to feed his family if he had to, so I expect anything he thinks he could do, he will apply for it.
He got the current job he has by applying even though he had little previous experience with corporate tax issues ( he previously dealt with private tax collection ), he thinks they only gave him the job to meet their diversity quotas because he was totally shocked that he got the position at all although he learns quickly and knows his stuff now.
 Where would you work? - Old Navy
>> Did you warn these two what things are like here? they seem to have a
>> rosy dewy eyed vision.
>>
>> They are both in for a nasty nasty shock.
>>

Agree with that, Australia is in a boom at the moment, China is sucking up their exports of raw materials and just about everything else, even scrap metal. One good thing, they will find the cost of living cheap here (petrol excluded), if they can find jobs.
Isn't Visa/Barclaycard near you?

He has some experience in the financial sector, and they will have a wide range of jobs, if not immediate vacancies.

Anyone from barclaycard phone you lately Iffy?

Its usually Peter Singh, Northampton Floor, Corporate Towers, Bangalore.
Barclaycard/Visa still has a large presence in Northants.

There's a published address here: www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/contact-us/

Then there's the main computer centre, which is at a secret squirrel location - lots of IT - and other - types working in there.

>> Then there's the main computer centre, which is at a secret squirrel location - lots
>> of IT - and other - types working in there.

KNutsford you mean?
...KNutsford you mean?...

No, no, that's the one they allow contractors access to.

I meant the secret, secret, one in the former nuclear bunker underneath Billing Aquadrome.

>> ...KNutsford you mean?...
>>
>> No, no, that's the one they allow contractors access to.
>>
>> I meant the secret, secret, one in the former nuclear bunker underneath Billing Aquadrome.

The one that sooooooooo secret its not there?
>> Barclaycard/Visa still has a large presence in Northants.

barclays.taleo.net/careersection/2/moresearch.ftl?lang=en_gb

Currently 52 jobs with barclays in northampton.

Where would you work? - spamcan61
Having had a lot of discussions with recruitment agents over the last year, ,most semi pro or pro jobs in any field attract 100+ eligible applicants, round my way most shelf stacking and suchlike will attract at least 10 - 20, when the local Tesco Extra opened it attracted around 850 applicants.

Virtually all employers are prepared to wait until the absolutely 100% right candidate comes along, even if it takes them months.
 Where would you work? - Meldrew
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/LookingForWork/DG_10030134?PRO=hp&CRE=Jobsimage
 Where would you work? - Mapmaker
He's got no qualifications, has a CV that's a bit patchy, he'll be unemployed and looking for any old job in the depressed midlands - to the extent that he gets his BIL to post on an internet forum full of weirdos asking for suggestions?

LOL

I'd suggest he stay in Aus which is in the middle of an economic boom.
The wierdos told him that yesterday.
 Where would you work? - Mapmaker
Indeed.

I thought it helpful to summarise it all into one post...
If he's prepared to do anything as Stu says, a realistic option might be to go into partnership and develop Stu's car cleaning round.

There's probably a few quid to be made for the pair of them, and the hours could be made to suit.

Where would you work? - Alanovich
Maybe a "Chips Away" type franchise if he's got some savings?
 Where would you work? - Bigtee
The Railways are looking for staff plenty of jobs going a good way in is a carriage cleaner on nights put up with it for 6 months apply for other jobs and move on. this seems the norm up here.
 Where would you work? - sooty123
>> The Railways are looking for staff plenty of jobs going a good way in is
>> a carriage cleaner on nights put up with it for 6 months apply for other
>> jobs and move on. this seems the norm up here.
>>

The railways seem to be recruiting like mad in every area.
This year alone several are retiring in most areas especially engineering and train crews so it's a good job lots of time off but shift work and weekends is expected so if you like your every friday night out forget it.
 Where would you work? - swiss tony
>> The Railways are looking for staff plenty of jobs going a good way in is
>> a carriage cleaner on nights put up with it for 6 months apply for other
>> jobs and move on. this seems the norm up here.
>>
Stupid question... where may one find said jobs advertised?
( I know a 21 y.o. lad who needs a job asap....)
 Where would you work? - sooty123
>> >> The Railways are looking for staff plenty of jobs going a good way in
>> is
>> >> a carriage cleaner on nights put up with it for 6 months apply for
>> other
>> >> jobs and move on. this seems the norm up here.
>> >>
>> Stupid question... where may one find said jobs advertised?
>> ( I know a 21 y.o. lad who needs a job asap....)
>>

Recommended by someone in the industry already.

www.railwaypeople.com/rail-jobs/

Does he want an apprenticeship, really short of people to work on the trains.
www.northern.engageats.co.uk/

The vaccancies change often so you have to keep checking.

Check south west trains, east coast etc, some are done through agencies.
 Where would you work? - swiss tony
Cheers!
 Where would you work? - Manatee
Why does he want to come here? I hope it's not because he's been swept up in the wave of pessimism that seems to have overcome Australia. I work with an Australian business and the perception there at the moment seems to be that the economy is about to come unglued.

The reality is that we'd love to have the same problems. Can I have his job in Oz?
 Where would you work? - Dutchie
Its often not what you know but who.He is 36 same age as one of our sons living in N.Z. for one year.Take on anything,my son can't get any work in N.Z.He is doing voluntary work for the salvation army.His girlfriend got a good job.They be coming back next year to the U.K.
They are coming to the UK so their son can grow up around family, my father is no longer able to fly long haul anymore and my BIL is extremely keen my nephew knows both his family down in London and us aswell.
They are very isolated in Australia and it was always on the cards for them to come back eventually, apparently my BIL was sitting at work a week ago and just something snapped, he came home and announced he wanted to come to the UK.

They are willing to downsize their lifestyle quite some way to do this, they think some things are more important.

The job issue is a secondary one, but one advantage is that if they are local, my dad can look after my nephew so they can both look for work rather than in oz where only my BIL could such is the cost of childcare.

I just wanted to know if there were any areas of industry worth trying hard to get into, or any qualifications etc he should seek out to give him an edge even.
I only know patchy bits of his previous jobs, but immigration told my sister that his qualifications mean he gets more than enough points to get a visa to work here if he can find a job.
 Where would you work? - Roger.
G.B. is not so bad as it is painted!
...G.B. is not so bad as it is painted!...

Chickens are known to come home to roost.

Latest Forum Posts