Non-motoring > Contactless cards Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 21

Contactless cards - sooty123
Just to pick up on something from another thread. Do you use them, are they many options near you what sort of places and locations are they in. For those in and around the big smoke is it widespread? Have you used them a while?
Me just got my first card with this option never used it or seen anywhere yet. But I think it will be a good idea.
 Contactless cards - rtj70
The three places I have seen them (and two of them used) are:

- Local small diy/hardware shop
- Local chemist
- Tesco Extra's travel money kiosk

The latter is one I've not used and one where you're unlikely to (a) be able to use the contactless technology and (b) wouldn't want to. Reasons are (a) there is an upper limit for their use - either £10 or £15 I think - so not great for getting holiday spending money and (b) if you've got a Visa debit card then getting foreign money at these places is considered a cash withdrawal by Visa and you will be charged for using the card by Visa.
 Contactless cards - Zero
In the smoke, Oyster is slowly spreading its tendrils further afield and in new applications.

Yes instant contact less payment will come but it wont just be cards, your phone will shortly be used as well.
Does a NFC on a mobile like the Google phone and a contact-less debit card (and Oyster) use the same technology?
 Contactless cards - Zero
In that the terminal is the same, yes they do.

DOnt know about oyster tho. They are however in the process of speccing and putting out an RFT a technology upgrade/swap. They are demanding extremely quick transaction times.
 Contactless cards - Old Navy
It will not suit everyone, many use stone age mobile phones as telephones and have no interest in other uses for them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 16:26
 Contactless cards - bathtub tom
>>Yes instant contact less payment will come but it wont just be cards, your phone will shortly be used as well.

What, even my Nokia 3410? I was quite impressed I had one from the same era as Geldof.
 Contactless cards - Zero
no - not your 3410.
I still have a Nokia 6310i. Officially my company mobile but I started wanting nicer/better feature phones. I do miss the long battery life. Maybe for company use I'll start using it again :-) Because I use a personal Android phone now and that syncs the calendar with both my personal and work systems hence no need to have more than a mobile for work.... Hmmm where is the 6310i.
 Contactless cards - Meldrew
I have a contactless B'Card. SFAIK it can only be used for transactions of less that £10 and in 18 months I have not found one outlet that accepts it.
 Contactless cards - Mapmaker
I live in central London. I have never (knowingly) seen a shop that accepts them.

And anyway, I hate to think what fees the shop has to pay - compared to cash.
 Contactless cards - R.P.
My sister's window cleaner takes Paypal - must be cost-effective that.
I had to use PayPal the other day to shift some emergency funds to a relative in UK It was very quick but cost me £8 to move £200.Not cost effective for me!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 17:18
 Contactless cards - Zero
>> I live in central London. I have never (knowingly) seen a shop that accepts them.

You are missing the signs then, london shops are awash with them .
The chemist I mention above had contact-less payment (I recognised the Barclaycard machine) but knew nothing of it. So I used it and they learned how it works so to speak. Complicated it wasn't.
 Contactless cards - Roger.
Not for me, thanks.
I don't usually carry a mobile, although I have a PAYG with a camera. When the prepaid credit runs out I doubt if I will top it up. It'll do as a small camera, though!
The thought of actually paying a bundle each month just to have the latest iPhone, or similar, strikes me as daft.
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 18:14
Roger, I think you read my post as if I used my phone for contactless payment. I used my Barclays debit card. The alternative to holding above the device was inserting it and entering my PIN. So I tried the contactless approach.

But I'm not sure who shares the risk with this. If I lost the card and hadn't realised then who is responsible for any monetary loss?
 Contactless cards - Mapmaker
>>But I'm not sure who shares the risk with this. If I lost the card and hadn't realised then who is responsible for any monetary loss?

The risk is tiny. It is limited to a tenner or two. And if you make n purchases in quick succession which is not your usual practice then they ask for your pin.
Is the sign a larger version of the logo on the card Z? I may have been in shops that have the service but I have never had my attention drawn to it by staff or signage
 Contactless cards - Zero
>> Is the sign a larger version of the logo on the card Z?

The logo is on this page

www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Barclayscontactlessdebitcards/P1242561764200

Smaller version on your card, larger version on the chip&pin machine or till, paypoint etc.

Note limit is now 15 quid.
Thanks for that Z
>>Note limit is now 15 quid.

Hence me saying £10-15 :-) I used it before knowing the limit was £10. Recently seen it and the limit was £15. Not sure where/when I saw the raise in limit but believed it had.

The quick re-use is reassuring. When most had gone chip and pin you could still use it without PIN for a long time in many petrol stations including Tesco. Cannot buy fuel without signing at Tesco now as I have a fuel card (reimbursable for private miles).
Latest Forum Posts