Non-motoring > Wasps. Smoke out or not? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 21

Wasps. Smoke out or not? - legacylad
Yesterday i noticed a wasps nest in my new single storey extension. They are constantly taking away large mouthfuls of Kingspan , gaining access from underneath a bargeboard on an end wall.
I have no idea how long this has been going on but it is a bit of a worry.....i am told they will not return next year but i would like to think i will have some Kingspan left for this winter!
Should i stop the unauthorised removal now?
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 08:29
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Zero
Puff a large chunk of wasp nest killer inot the access point, available form your local DIY shed.

72 hours, problem solved.,
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Manatee
>> Puff a large chunk of wasp nest killer into the access point

Agreed - or ant powder, often the same thing. Worked for us when we had one in a blind roof space with the entrance right by our front door.

I had one hanging in a tree in the garden before that - quite difficult to get at. I climbed a step ladder with a liquid ant gun adjusted to a jet, and fired some in through the entrance. They were very cross indeed. I only just made it back to the house on that occasion.
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - R.P.
"They were very cross indeed. I only just made it back to the house on that occasion."

That would have been worth a vid !

Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Dave
I can recommend the 12 bore method, tried and tested in real life conditions. But it's a little difficult in tight spaces, granted.

Disclaimer: Real wasps were killed during the test procedure. Two cartridges were used at a distance of 3 metres. Although not required for this test, it may be an advantage to have a planned escape route, should you miss the nest.
>> Disclaimer: Real wasps were killed during the test procedure. Two cartridges were used at a
>> distance of 3 metres. Although not required for this test, it may be an advantage
>> to have a planned escape route, should you miss the nest.

Miss? at three metres? with a 12 bore?

I thought you nordic types were good shots?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 09:52
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - VxFan
>> They were very cross indeed.

::trying to picture a wasp with a clenched wing shaking it angrily at you::
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - L'escargot
Regarding the use of insecticide powder, wait until all (or the majority) of the wasps have gone into the nest for the night. This usually occurs just as it's getting dusk. If you watch the access point you'll see them going in, but not coming out.
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Cliff Pope
For a safe long-range method use a garden sprayer filled with cuprinol woodworm killer.
Pump it well up, and adjust the nozzle for a concentrated stream not a spray.
Try it somewhere else to get an idea of the range and trajectory, then give the nest a sustained burst. It soaks into the structure in a satisfying way, and also has the advantage of catching any emerging angry wasps that might otherwise be looking for you.

It kills the lot, including hatching grubs, within minutes.
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Falkirk Bairn
Ant powder puffed into entrance /exit - cheap and works.

5 yrs ago we had a large nest -it did not fit into a black plastic sack until broken into 2 pieces - we paid to get an exterminator in - £50.00
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - L'escargot
To be able to puff insecticide powder upwards ~ attach a length of PVC tube to the outlet nozzle of the container, turn the container upside down and shake the powder down to the outlet, hold the open end of the tube upwards with one hand and then squeeze the container with the other hand. If the container doesn't have a suitable outlet nozzle then transfer the contents to one which has.
What's a suitable outlet nozzle?
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - bathtub tom
>> What's a suitable outlet nozzle?

I think you'll find you've got one that ultimately empties your bladder. ;>)
NOw you might find it fun to stick your bladder emptying nozzle in a wasp nest, but that's a life experience I shall pass by.
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - VxFan
>> NOw you might find it fun to stick your bladder emptying nozzle in a wasp nest, but that's a life experience I shall pass by.

A case of keep the swelling, but get rid of the pain.
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Cliff Pope
>> What's a suitable outlet nozzle?
>>

The problem with trying to puff ant or wasp killer is that the outlet nozzle is at the top of the container, so doesn't work very well if you are having to direct the spray upwards. You need to shake the can while squeezing hard.
Tricky at the top of a ladder, knowing you may be pursued back down by a swarm of angry wasps. Hence my remote-action WMD.

Thanks for all your replies.
I could not see the nest as it was somewhere in the eaves of my single storey extension, and the wasps were gaining access beneath a barge board.
And exiting with mouthfuls of Kingspan.
I bought some powdered stuff from my local DIY, inverted, and put a 2ft hose (fishtank airline) into the top and squeezed!
Much less activity within the past 24hrs so hopefully I shall have some insulation left.
The nest could be anywhere within a 30ft x 12ft roofspace so fingers crossed.
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Fullchat
If you say they are exiting with mouthfulls of your Kingspan then their nest may not be in your roof but elsewhere.
They build their nest from stripped wood; say garden fence, and return to build the nest. Your Kingspan may be their wood source.
I didn't consider that.
Nevertheless, it is still theft and there are repercussions.
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - Roger.
Civil recovery action?
 Wasps. Smoke out or not? - corax
>> I didn't consider that.
>> Nevertheless, it is still theft and there are repercussions.

Yes, I think they should be taken to court, damn thieves. Haven't they got anything better to do, like hang around pub gardens?
Like what I did this evening immediately after work.
Lovely S facing beer garden.
No wasps.
No children.
Just friendly locals, plus a few weekend offcumdens, drinking Golden Pippin at the extortionate price of £2.75 a pint.
Latest Forum Posts