Non-motoring > Getting old Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 58

Getting old - Stuu
Why do people retire and then seem pre-disposed to start wearing beige? And why the flat cap? And why always so miserable? Is hitting 65 THAT depressing? Is it depression that leads to the blue rinse?
 Getting old - Zero
I am retired, I am 56.

I have no flat cap, blue rinse. miserable? biege? hmm ahhh weellll
 Getting old - rtj70
Our plans are to do something totally different other than current jobs ASAP. Probably not in this country. We might not be retired but not working in the normal sense. We intend to be mortgage free very soon. Downside is the cash for a Ferrari or similar won't be available to me.

So once we buy the new house in the next month or so.... we can plan the next stage of quiting the UK if we so decide. I cannot believe I can be mortgage free before I am 40! :-) Just have to make sure I don't spend the money I used to pay on a mortgage!

I thought flat caps were worn by people with little hair to keep warm.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 3 Apr 10 at 23:19
 Getting old - Stuu
Im 30 and Im morgage free, so ner ner :-)
 Getting old - Armel Coussine
What's wrong with buff or desert sand? Beige indeed. Tchah!

My first car was a sort of matt brownish mushroom colour, and a damn stylish jalopy it was. It didn't deserve me, poor thing.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 3 Apr 10 at 23:27
 Getting old - RattleandSmoke
I am 27 and mortgage free even though for the past few months I have been paying half a mortgage. I do have one properly though a nice lockup garage but even that is rented but if the worst comes to the worst I am sure I can kip in it!

I think I have another 37 years of hard work ahead of me before I can retire :( I have lived a good live though and if I die tomorrow the last ten years have been pure rock and roll (but much else!)

I am very much a free spirit and I would rather buy a house boat or a caravan than some poxy over priced flat.

I really should settle down but then girls destroy the mind and spirit. I am self employed for a reason nobody with any common sense will employ me!
 Getting old - MD
>> I really should settle down but then girls destroy the mind and spirit.

There's a lot of truth in those words Ratty me ol' mate.
 Getting old - Dog
I retired at 39 and have not had a mortgage since I was 36, but even then it was only for 2 years.
I'm 58 (in September) but quite healthy, bearded & long haired :-0
I hope I die before I get old (could be a tune there somewhere)
Talking about my generation!
 Getting old - Robin O'Reliant
I want to die young, but not until I'm too old to care.
 Getting old - Roger.
Blimey - you are all YOUNG compared with me!
 Getting old - Stuu
My aim is to live to 100. I know, thinking big, but I think biologically, you cant ask for more than that, anything more is a bonus. Lucky for me there are many lines of the family that have lived past 90, so Im in with a shot :-)
 Getting old - RattleandSmoke
I just live for to day that way anything else is a bonus.
 Getting old - swiss tony
>> I just live for to day that way anything else is a bonus.
>>
So true, 24 years ago I was given 24 hours to live - Hmmm Hope to Goodness they didn't mean years, not hours.........
 Getting old - Aretas
I am 68. Only today I was driving 40 miles along the A14 at around an indicated 65 (as it keeps fuel consumption reasonable) and being overtaken by nearly everyone, whereas in the 70s when I had an Elan on most journeys I was not overtaken at all - and only done for speeding once!
 Getting old - SteelSpark
>> My aim is to live to 100. I know thinking big but I think biologically
>> you cant ask for more than that anything more is a bonus. Lucky for me
>> there are many lines of the family that have lived past 90 so Im in
>> with a shot :-)

Quiet aside from your genes, you have a decent chance because most people of your age will probably live to 70-80 anyway, which gives another 40-50 years of medical advances to kick in.

I am about the same age, and I just hope that we can reach some kind of tipping point, where every year they extend the human lifespan by at least a year.

At least by the time we get to 100, we'll all have electric cars and they should have cracked nuclear fusion, so free fuel. In fact , maybe we will have those Mr. Fusion engines from Back to the Future...
 Getting old - Zero
Lets hope they find a cure for altzheimers then, or the threads on here are going to get pretty repetitive.
 Getting old - Zero
Lets hope they find a cure for altzheimers then, or the threads on here are going to get pretty repetitive.
 Getting old - Zero
 Getting old - Iffy
...altzheimers...

Is that the computer keyboard version of alzheimer's?
 Getting old - Cliff Pope
>> Lets hope they find a cure for altzheimers then or the threads on here are
>> going to get pretty repetitive.
>>

Don't mind if I do. I'll have just one more glass of the '83 Altzheimer if I may.
 Getting old - Manatee
I will wear jeans of the cheap variety for mucky work, or trainers should I ever be daft enough to take up jogging- otherwise neither. You might as well ask why a majority of the population never wear anything else outside work.

An advantage of being relatively aged is that you cease to worry about what you wear as long as it's practical. The other day I was rebuked by my dear wife for wearing green breeches, brown shirt and blue fishing weskit (lots of useful pockets); adherence to beige is safer.
 Getting old - Ted

Manatee...you're a man after my own heart. No trainers allowed on my tootsies for years.
Lace up gentlemens shoes in brown or black. Jeans for messing about in winter but a lighter trouser when warmer, £3.99 from Lidl. Steel toecaps in the workshop.

I will not sacrifice comfort and warmth to fashion, not that anyone gives a toss now. ( Well, the Ayatollah does. )
I think I've spent about the last 5 months with my jumper tucked in my trousers and tightly belted in. No builders bum for me, thank you !
Beige Gilet with lots of pockets ? Me too. Too much to carry about, Phone, GTN Spray, Dosh, Cards, Sweeteners, Sunglasses, Readers, Pen, Penknife......the list goes on.

I would have died 16 years ago this summer had I not lived within a mile of a major Cardiac Unit. Had my major infarct on the trolley in the corridor....how spawny is that ? I hate to think what the scenario would have been if we'd been away in the caravan.

Anyway, dying is the last thing I intend to do !

Ted
 Getting old - -
Ted gets me vote as bravest (or daftest) bloke here, Ayatollah indeed.

Don't own a pair of trainers and haven't done for probably 30 years, I potter about in jeans for rough and better trousers for smarter and still wear one of me proper boiler suits when car work gets involved.
Nothing worse than some grey haired geezer sporting trainers and tacky bottoms...uniform of the loo lounger...so i'm told.
Can't abide T shirts and don't own one of them either, and my shirts get tucked in like all proper blokes do, non of that poncy ac/dc hanging out shirt tail nonsense.
Harris tweed jacket with optional waistcoat for out and about, plenty of good pockets with that too and hard wearing.

Footwear, well for smarter wear i'm still in me Sergeants Dundee boots which will likely see me out, but for mucking about normally i invested in some DeWalt Goretex steel toe caps, jolly expensive too £70+ a pair but the lightest boot i've ever worn and the most comfortable too despite a steel liner in the sole, wear 'em all day without the slightest ache.

Fashion? couldn't care less, it's not getting old it's knowing who you are which is a frame of mind and some never find out.

Getting old - Pat
Getting old has nothing to do with what you wear, what you do each day or being mortgage free. It's all in the mind, in the way you think and in the ability to remember how you were, when you were younger.

Your appearance may show you to be old but but what really matters is what's in the mind.
We all look back on the good old days through rose tinted spectacles, but in general the progress we've seen in any walk of our lives has been for the better.
The good old days we look back on fondly were the moments that 'made a memory' for us and we should still go out and make memories now.

Those memories live on through our children and become the basis of the good old days for generations.

Don't accept that there are things you can't do, either morally or physically, just modify them to suit and go and do them anyway.

Go on, do it today, make a memory:)

Nothing and no-one can take memories away from you.

Pat
 Getting old - MD
Memories last longer than dreams.

52. Spend most of my life in work gear and that is often anything that is available. 5 pairs of work boots in rotation cos my feet suffer enormously.

Going 'out' shoes = Church's Grafton brogues (3 pairs). Shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt or a Swedish make the name of which escapes me right now. Trousers and suits and jackets usually from Germany (Odermark). You cant be quality for looks or feel and to be honest the longevity of it all makes it not as expensive as it first seems.

Don't wanna talk Mortgages!

Morning all..............M
 Getting old - Dog
The potential Human lifespan is today 120 years.
Few of us will reach that age though for reasons that are manifold (motoring connection!)
But, in my not so humble opinion - its the quality of life that is important, not the quantity.
Take my friend Laurie who lived up on the moor, although he died at 69 from Prostate Cancer,
he actually lived 3 lifetimes in one.
Then there's my FiL ... he's 84 now but hasn't even lived one lifetime yet!
He spends his time reading cowboy books and watching cowboy films,
But then he may be contented (resigned?) to/with his life - and I respect that.
Life is either a daring adventure - or nothing.
 Getting old - -
Martin, i've probably got feet as bad as yours, treat yourself to a pair of these they'll last twice as long as virtually anything else too...comfort from the second you put them on very soft sole.

www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/dewalt-safety-boots-challenger-brown-gore-lined-steel-p-79142.html
 Getting old - Runfer D'Hills
Bet Alfs got a pair of those and a matching hard hat......

:-)
 Getting old - -
>> Bet Alfs got a pair of those and a matching hard hat......

You are a terrible fella Hump, Alf always wears a lumberjack shirt too, wouldn't be seen half dressed..;)
 Getting old - Iffy
...Bet Alfs got...

I can see this catching on.

Think I'll register the username Alf - it might become a saleable asset.

Getting old - Zero
I wouldnt, come the C4P xmas ball, Alf will end up sticking your head down the toilet
 Getting old - Zero
As we ponder this special time of year, surounded by symbolism and eternal hope, ones mind turns to important thoughts of a global nature.

Kippers.

Boil in bag or Grilled? Eat skin or not?

Brows knitted over the fiendish soduku this morning, I munched on my grilled kippers, scraping the firm smoky flesh from the crisp skin, flicking said burned offering into the dog bowl. and thought. "Well how else is Fifi going to get her Omega 3"

Grilled, no skin it is.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 09:51
 Getting old - Iffy
...grilled...

Grilled for taste, but this method can create a grill pan aroma issue.

Getting old - Dog
>>> treat yourself to a pair of these <<<

They look like an half decent pair of boots comrade bennet.
I do a lot of walking which is why I stay handsome, virile, slim, and irresistible to Women :)
I usually pay twice that amount for 'The Best' walking boots (Zamberlan) but I might give these a go.
 Getting old - Ted

Memories live longer than jeans !

Ted
 Getting old - AnotherJohnH
>> Nothing and no-one can take memories away from you.

If you are lucky.

Zero has it on the button with his Alzheimer's quip...

I'm finding it quite difficult watching my mother's mind fall apart.

I find the prospect of it happening to me terrifying.

Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 12:16
 Getting old - -

>> I'm finding it quite difficult watching my mother's mind fall apart.
>>

A massive understatement AJH, dreadful to see such things happening those you love.

You still remember her in her splendour, and nothing can change that.
 Getting old - Robin O'Reliant
Having seen my mother live to 91 with a mind still as sharp as a pin but a body so worn out she couldn't get out of bed I think I would rather my mind go than my body.

Selfish I know, but that way round you are somebody elses problem and often quite content in yourself.
 Getting old - R.P.
Worn jeans since I was about twelve - tried to dump their use when I reached 40 - sadly I have now one pair which are occasionally worn.

I bought a superb skiing jacket, totally waterproof and very warm - I have now relaized it was tagged at half its original 300 squids - it's beige.....:-(
 Getting old - Runfer D'Hills
I wear jeans daily and may have forgotten how to knot a tie. Llamedos.
 Getting old - Dog
>>> I would rather my mind go than my body <<<

Good point comrade Regal ... My mother lived to 88 and was as bright as a button but her heart gave out in the end.
Personally speaking, I'd like to stay Compos Mentis so I'd know when to 'throw in the towel'
 Getting old - hawkeye
>>
>> Fashion? couldn't care less it's not getting old it's knowing who you are which is
>> a frame of mind and some never find out.
>>
>>

For a load of folk who shouldn't care less about what you wear the descriptions below are fairly detailed. Beige figures a lot. Can't abide shopping for clothes; I still have cast-offs from my brother-in-law from years ago. I suspect I'm in a minority having clothes run in for me by a famous actor. My favourite winter coat used to belong to my late stepfather. Mrs H has finally abducted it and taken it to a charity shop. She said it made me look like and old man but I'm only fifty-seven-and-a-half.

My sympathies for those of you whose parents are losing it mentally. Dad went loopy in his final years and only the disability of multiple strokes kept him out of the nuthouse.
 Getting old - Roger.
Wearing one's shirt outside the trousers disguises one's gut!
 Getting old - L'escargot
After I retired I wondered how I ever found time to go to work. I've never worn beige. My current choice in suits is dark grey with a black velvet collar. All my shirts are either black, or coloured stripes.

I keep thinking about having my hair dyed, but I think blue would clash too much with my eyes. :-)
 Getting old - bathtub tom
Blue rinse and perm L'es? ;>)
 Getting old - L'escargot
>> Blue rinse and perm L'es? ;>)
>>

No, no, no, it would clash with my eyes.
 Getting old - Armel Coussine
A blue rinse would make my tonsure look bruised.

I hate barbers, and the only people who cut my hair are young women I can persuade to do it. So my grizzled locks get wilder and wilder until I look like a mad tramp, then I am returned to cropped ex-nazi war criminal style by my daughter or someone.

I have tried to get her to give me a turquoise or lemon yellow streak like a sprauncy young gay fashion icon - it would suit me on the days I shave - but so far she has refused. The young are so square somehow these days.
 Getting old - Iffy
...worn jeans...

A party of us were once out on the town in West London.

We pitched up at a half-decent nightclub, only for one of the ladies in the group to be denied entry.

Why? She was wearing jeans.

The daft thing was I was wearing my Man at C&A Crimplene slacks which cost about £12, and she was wearing designer label jeans which cost three or four times as much.

I was reminded of this by a story in the last few days about the Ritz in Piccadilly, London.

They are relaxing their dress code to include denim, but only during the day.
 Getting old - Ted

Fave clothes for me ? Black Cordura jacket and matching trousers held up with red ' Tom & Jerry ' braces. Black leather boots.
silk scarf

Obvious, innit ?
It means I'm going to get my leg over shortly and be off on the open road.... ....
Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne. He travels the fastest who travels alone !

Ted
 Getting old - Dog
WHAT is the moral ? Who rides may read.
When the night is thick and the tracks are blind,
A friend at a pinch is a friend indeed;
But a fool to wait for the laggard behind
Down to Gehenna, or up to the Throne,
He travels the fastest who travels alone.

White hands cling to the tightened rein,
Slipping the spur from the booted heel,
Tenderest voices cry, "Turn again,"
Red lips tarnish the scabbarded steel,
High hopes faint on a warm hearth-stone

One may fall, but he falls by himself
Falls by himself, with himself to blame;
One may attain, and to him is the pelf,
Loot of the city in Gold or Fame
Plunder of earth shall be all his own
Who travels the fastest, and travels alone.

Stayed by a friend in the hour of toil,
Sing the heretical song I have made
His be the labour, and yours be the spoil.
Win by his aid, and the aid disown
 Getting old - Ted

Kipling....The Winners.

Do you like Kipling ?
I dunno, I've never Kippled !

I'll get me thingy !

Ted
 Getting old - MD
I have suffered a very indifferent day at, well shall we say, life. I have hit home, had a small snack and a Marston's Pedigree and read all of the above. All is now right with the world. You lot...............really!!!!!

MD
 Getting old - Dog
>>> Kipling....The Winners. <<<

I used to live near Mr. Kipling,
It was called Daisy Fresh beforehand,
They make exceedingly good cakes - not!
 Getting old - Ted

>> It was called Daisy Fresh beforehand

Do you know, Dog....I've just re-read that, I initially read it as ...' I ' was called Daisy Fresh !

Must get some lenses in these glasses !

Ted
 Getting old - Dog
>>> Must get some lenses in these glasses <<<

Try cleaning the beer stains orf of em ... Hope this helps :-)
 Getting old - L'escargot
As you get older you start to think more about your health than about how much money you have.
 Getting old - Dog
Ah! ... I've been looking for you Snaily - get the beers in and have a butchers at this ~
www.ultrawellness.com/blog/diabetes
 Getting old - L'escargot
Thanks Dog. I'll read it thoroughly when I've finished mowing the lawn.
 Getting old - Dog
>>> I'll read it thoroughly when I've finished mowing the lawn. <<<

I sincerely hope it is of some help for you L'escargot.
Latest Forum Posts