Non-motoring > Why is this site full of people of above average? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 128

Why is this site full of people of above average? - RattleandSmoke
...above average intelligence?

On quite a few of the forums I visit there are quite a few thick idiots on it, but on this everybody seems to be of above average intelligence but perhaps also a lot more eccentric.

Is this a legacy of HJ and the Telegraph?

I've also noticed that very few egos seem to exist on this site, although it is something I have noticed in forums in general, people with big egos tend to get found out as a fake.

Why is this site full of people of above average? - Old Navy
>> ...above average intelligence?
>>

Ah, you must mean me. I have a Baseball cap but know which way round it goes. :-)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Zero
No Egos? ye gods Ratts, its a turmoil of Ego's! Makes the san andreas fault look like the sea of tranquility!
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - CGNorwich
"Its a turmoil of Ego's!"

Haven't had a decent flounce for weeks
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Stuu
>>its a turmoil of Ego's<<

Its hard to believe anyone driving a car Proton would easily pass off as one of theirs has any ego, except maybe in the company of a Perodua owner... ;-)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Kevin
>Ah, you must mean me. I have a Baseball cap but know which way round it goes. :-)

To stop the rain going down the back of your neck ON?
>> To stop the rain going down the back of your neck ON?
>>

Of course! Obvious to anyone with a grey cell. :-)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Stuu
Chances are, anyone genuinely abit short on functioning brain cells would most likely find this place a bit dull, chance of overheating brain see dem stupid folk.
Possibly, but I like it here because people in the main get on and while they can be a bit of ego point scoring that happens any where on the internet.

Even on the Panda sub section on the Fiat Forums there are people on there who always have to be right and have ego's the size of Led Zeppelins.

"there are quite a few thick idiots on it",

See the happy moron - he doesn't give a damn. I wish I was a moron - by God! Perhaps I am!
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - sooty123
Some websites attract a certain type of people. For example Pistonheads was a TVR owners website and attracts now many city types. I don't think this website is above a certain intelligence compared to other forums, although that depends on which forums you visit ;) Although we do seem well travelled.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Bagpuss
>> Some websites attract a certain type of people. For example Pistonheads was a TVR owners website

I used to frequent a TVR owners website many moons ago when I owned a TVR. I remember it mainly consisting of ideas of how to pass the time whilst waiting for the AA as well as horror stories of dealers actually giving up trying to repair the cars - which is what happened to me.
Sounds no fun. I just meant some web sites grow out of their shell and into other things.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Golf_Paul

Innit?
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Armel Coussine
Without plentiful and startling topic drift we would be much less amusing. Uptight moderating would have some of us out of here in short order.

God knows it's bad enough as it is. With all due respect.

The late Bill Boddy of blessed memory (obit in today's Terrorflag) might not have liked it here as much as all that. He was a man obsessed with all aspects of the automobile to the point of eccentricity, but on political and social matters - reading between the lines because he didn't waste his time addressing them directly - he was a man of straitlaced outlook and mainstream views, undoubtedly conservative with a small c and very likely with a huge one. His prose was spare and efficient, without any serious pretensions to style or any of that flimflam.

One or two here are like that but not many.
AC, I apologise in advance, you can tell me to bog off, but I'm intrigued what is your background?
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Dutchie
ACs Background is a secret:)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Ted

If he told you, he'd have to kill and eat you.

With a fine Claret, of course. Followed by Port and Stilton.

Ted
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Runfer D'Hills
Ah but what is average? Did you know for example that most people have more than the average number of legs? Or indeed that the word "gullible" does not appear in any dictionary?
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - rtj70
I assume we've all got at least a degree on here! Some more I hope.

Shock horror to there being thickos here. :-)

>> Why is this site full of people of above average...
Were you going to say something else like... debt? Or something rude?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 23 Jul 11 at 00:34
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Stuartli
Why is it then that I've still to meet them> :-)))
>Shock horror to there being thickos here. :-)

Shock horror!

I can remember a mod. on HJ who decided that "prole" was racist.

Go figure :-)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Iffy
...I can remember a mod. on HJ who decided that "prole" was racist...

He's probably on here now.

I remember a mod on HJ who banned a thread of mine about cars which attracted women.

He is on here now.

The atmosphere and culture of HJ - particularly latterly - made otherwise sensible people behave like idiots.

>> prole

That would be me then possibly. Prole still means nothing to me though. I do recall the context of the existing thread was key though.

I am a techie who only has two degrees including masters. But the undertone of the thread led me to ask if you meant Pole?
I do wonder why it was brought up on this site though. I recall the thread but why raise this here? I wonder what the purpose was/is?

If it cannot be explained why to raise this then I want this all deleting. It is targeted at a decision I made years ago (rightly or wrongly). More importantly it reminds me of the attitude of the poster.
I sadly only have one degree, and I am reaching 29. In my family I am the odd one out, my cousins either have several degrees including masters or nothing.

All I have post degree is an open university module in photography and I only did that because I did not understand how to use my new bridge camera.

I do want to go back and study more but I am stuck in a rut because I honestly don't know what to do from here. One of my mates reckons I should do a PGSE in adult education and it is something I am considering.

That said the school I went to was so rough most people I knew are in Strangeways but that still makes me bitter because I know if I had gone to a better school I could have done so much better.

Why is this site full of people of above average? - madf
Above average intelligence?

Nah.. Now if the question had been about above average lack of hair....:-(
...about above average lack of hair...

...or above average waist measurements.

Why is this site full of people of above average? - corax
>> my cousins either have several degrees including masters or nothing.

I am a master of nothing

>> All I have post degree is an open university module in photography and I only
>> did that because I did not understand how to use my new bridge camera.

What's wrong with reading the users manual?
>>That would be me then possibly. Prole still means nothing to me though.

Never bothered to look it up? It's a good read, really.

lmgtfy.com/?q=prole

>If it cannot be explained why to raise this then I want this all deleting.

You "want this all deleting"? For Glub's sake - grow up!

>It is targeted at a decision I made years ago (rightly or wrongly). More
>importantly it reminds me of the attitude of the poster.

Touché
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Pat
>>Prole still means nothing to me though.<<

Well, that blows Rattle's theory right out of the water then:)

Pat

...Prole still means nothing to me though.<< Well, that blows Rattle's theory right out of the water then:)...

Steady on, rtj says he's got two degrees.

Prince Charles fancied one of The Three Degrees, but I don't think that's the same thing.

Why is this site full of people of above average? - Focusless
As Mrs F (no degree) tells me (degree) - there's intelligence, and there's common sense.
I have a degree in common sense.

Pat
>> what is your background?

I don't want to seem snooty by not answering, sooty, especially when others are being forthcoming, but I hardly know what to say. I keep posting anecdotes and memories that give some indication of something, taken in aggregate.
The short version is that I am a middle class person with an essentially idle nature from a fairly intellectual, not moneyed, family, who has swanned inconsequentially and lazily through life but through a succession of miracles has not died in the gutter but on the contrary had quite a good time with many undeserved privileges. Nothing is perfect of course.
I have had three careers including my present one such as it is - I can't afford to retire although I am over 70 and have a heart pacemaker - and an assortment of other jobs mostly of a basic nature (teacher, washer-up, building labourer, you know, prole stuff).
I haven't got a university degree but in that as in other things I have been lucky and privileged. I used to think I ought to have one but I've never felt the lack really. When you throw away a much-prized opportunity it seems you don't really get rid of it.

Basically a wastrel. My poor parents, my poor wife, my poor children, my poor grandchildren.

Still getting away with it though.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - L'escargot
Academic qualifications and above average intelligence doesn't always go hand in hand.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 23 Jul 11 at 09:33
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Number_Cruncher
>> Academic qualifications and above average intelligence doesn't always go hand in hand.

Yes, it just means that you've done some work in that field.

Whatever the subject though, one of the aims of degree level study is to enable graduates to approach new subjects, find the appropriate literature, think critically about it, and apply it. Getting students to appreciate these broader skills rather than the narrow technical skills can be a bit of a challenge.

The problem with common sense is that it's anything but common - and usually entirely absent in higher management circles.

No degree for me, no doubt dragging down the average ;)
Perhaps the high level of moderation on this site deters some of the thickos.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Robin O'Reliant
I like to think I lower the tone somewhat and drag the forum back to nearer the average.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - -
Oh dear, i don't have a single degree let alone two or more, the shame of it.

Working class still OK here?..:-)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Runfer D'Hills
Class only exists in the minds of those who have none. It bears no relation to income, education or wealth. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...

:-)
What high level of moderation on this site? This is the least moderated site I know on the web.

I doubt its that. I think the answer is that most people on here are erudite, and its gives a veneer of intelligence. I for one am as thick as a plank, but lucky with it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 23 Jul 11 at 11:03
I feel at home on this forum because there is none of that fancy joined up writing, an' stuff.

Like the other uneducated masses on here, I don't have a degree.
I've got 3 O-Levels, though...all practical subjects.

Oh, and I've got a bronze medal life saving certificate, an MOT tester's qualification and membership of the Caravan and Camping Club.

Move aside Robin and GB and give me some space on the thicko's bench !

Ted
You're welcome Ted, don't forget the bottle of industrial meths and the copy of Reader's Wives you found in the bin.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - henry k
Ted
Any room for me on a lower bench than yours ?
I cannot claim such high qualifications.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - VxFan
>> I feel at home on this forum because there is none of that fancy joined
>> up writing, an' stuff.

Amen
To
That
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 23 Jul 11 at 19:48
>> >> I feel at home on this forum because there is none of that fancy
>> joined
>> >> up writing, an' stuff.
>>

That could get your fairy dust dispenser removed.

Smart alec . :-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 00:37
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - sherlock47
sorry error
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 23 Jul 11 at 20:10
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 09:52
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 09:56
I give up!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 09:59
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - VxFan
>> I give up!

Would it be safe to say you're not above average? (by not knowing that only the mods can do the fancy html stuff) ;o)
>> >> I give up!
>>
>> Would it be safe to say you're not above average?

Definitely!
As safe as houses!
Sacré bleu et zut alors!
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Avant
"Whatever the subject though, one of the aims of degree level study is to enable graduates to approach new subjects, find the appropriate literature, think critically about it, and apply it. Getting students to appreciate these broader skills rather than the narrow technical skills can be a bit of a challenge."

Number Cruncher and L'escargot, you are so right. I recruit graduates (for a firm of accountants), and sadly there are quite a few universities which have dumbed dowen their degree courses to the extent that a student can simply leasrn, regurgitate what (s)he has learnt and get a 2.1. I'm not being snooty about the newer universities: there are some excellent new ones and some poor older foundations.

Part of the point of going to university is to learn how to think laterally - which is what employers need. I won't bore you with the qualities needed of a company auditor nowadays compared with 40 years ago when I started - but other professions no doubt require the same.

And they also require common sense. Rightly the ancient Greeks had two separate words for wisdom: academic (sophia) and common sense (phronesis). I'm sure that people who join this esteemed forum have both qualities in spades, whether they have a degree or not! Don't undervalue yourself, Rattle - to do the job you do you must be using both.

Last edited by: Avant on Sat 23 Jul 11 at 12:45
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - zippy
Wish I was!
Laterally thinker what does that mean? I know about Larboard and Starboard.:)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Roger.
Is a crab a lateral thinker?
Only 6 GCEs at O level, here, Circa 1952, Oxford & Cambridge Board.
Maths, English, History, French with oral, Chemistry and - wait for it - Religious Knowledge!
Plus one year's post GCE 6th. form study before taking the Army, Navy and Air Force entrance exam.
On the other hand, I am and always have been, an omnivorous reader, from which has come, I think, a rather better than average vocabulary and general knowledge.
(Blows one's own trumpet!)
French with oral and you blow your own trumpet?
>> French with oral and you blow your own trumpet?
That's a real ROTFLMAO comment!
>> French with oral and you blow your own trumpet?

Just a small horn...I understand.

Ted
>>
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - AnotherJohnH
>> Is a crab a lateral thinker?

If you see one walk forwards to get past an obstacle it may be.
It's an idea dreamed up by Edward de Bono back in the eighties in order to sell a lot of books and run very expensive courses to gullible people. To that extent it is extremely effective.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Westpig
Mywife has a degree......I however do not. She thinks i'm intelligent though....so all that proves is i'm good at bull's excrement.

I wasted my education, although in reality didn't really need much of it. I wish I hadn't wasted it. Lack of discipline in my second secondary school (Comprehensive, whereas the former needed an exam to get in..and was quite strict) was the problem, although being naturally gifted with English allowed me to 'get away with it'.

I grabbed 5 'O' levels for free..and failed 7.... not having revised for any of them...and some were 'D' failures, so 'what if'. What a waste.

Got in to my current employment at 17 yrs old..and because my 're-sit' results were not yet in, had to take an entrance exam as I didn't (yet) have the required 4 'O' levels. So in theory I could have got in with no 'O' levels.

My wife, being a teacher, does some private tuition at home now and again. All that does is remind me of what I don't know.

I despair at the lack of discipline in modern schools. It ruined my education (along with me) and IMO affects many, many kids who could do so much better...and let's face it, we're paying for it. Why is it so? Is it the hand wringing brigade again, political correctness, left wing political ethos? It really annoys me.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - corax
>> I despair at the lack of discipline in modern schools. It ruined my education (along
>> with me) and IMO affects many, many kids who could do so much better...and let's
>> face it, we're paying for it. Why is it so? Is it the hand wringing
>> brigade again, political correctness, left wing political ethos? It really annoys me.

You're not allowed to maintain discipline now. If teachers lay a hand on kids, there's cry's of abuse, parents demanding that the teacher is sacked e.t.c. Children need firm discipline, they're constantly trying it on to see what they can get away with. But we've shot ourselves in the foot - these kids become troublemakers because they are allowed to get away with it.

Although it's usually only a few among many. It's all been said before anyway.

>>
>> Although it's usually only a few among many.
>>

That's all you need, unfortunately. Good apples have never been known to turn bad apples good.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - zippy
>>> Is it the hand wringing brigade again, political correctness, left wing political ethos? It really annoys me.

We are victims of our own excesses. It has nothing to do with liberals, lefties etc.

The whack them around the back of the head brigade got it wrong because they would beat a child senseless if they forgot to stand up when a teacher walked in to a room or forgot their homework. This led to a backlash and now we have the state we are in now.

I remember being physically punished at school for things that I didn't do. Wrong place, wrong time etc. Yet if I inflicted that punishment on someone else I would have got serious time!

You can't just hand out punishment just to restore discipline and get the wrong people. There a processes in place to ensure that these things no longer happen. The punishment for getting out of control is not enough though and significant penalties need to be in place such as making sure the perpetrators have to do physical work for a long time and show real remorse before being allowed back in to a classroom. Slapping them is not the answer - its a badge.

Some middle ground is needed.

Why is this site full of people of above average? - DP
Could not agree more, Zippy.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - mikeyb

>> I despair at the lack of discipline in modern schools. It ruined my education (along
>> with me) and IMO affects many, many kids who could do so much better...and let's
>> face it, we're paying for it. Why is it so? Is it the hand wringing
>> brigade again, political correctness, left wing political ethos? It really annoys me.
>>

Fully agree speaking as someone with 3 children in Primary school. We had a minor issue at school with the eldest raised with us by his teacher, but we were then told that they consider it had been dealt with in school, and we were expressly asked to not consider any further punishment at home........I made it quite clear that if they felt an issue was significant enough to bring to my attention then they could be sure that we would be "discussing" it at home.

On parents evening we were told that we were to strict with our eldest which resulted in Mrs B being quite upset after the event. Following morning said teacher made a point of finding Mrs B and apologising saying she flet she may have over stepped the mark.

Seems to me that the teachers are not really keen on Parents who are perhaps a little hotter than others on discipline and generaly morals and standards which is odd as it must make their job easier.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Suppose

>>
>> On quite a few of the forums I visit there are quite a few thick
>> idiots on it,
>>

whereas this site has thin idiots on it.

BTW, only two of the members, both with IT degrees, have so far felt the need to trumpet their degree status. Does that correlate to the size of a willy?

Why is this site full of people of above average? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> BTW, only two of the members, both with IT degrees, have so far felt the
>> need to trumpet their degree status. Does that correlate to the size of a willy?
>>
>>
>>

I have three degrees.
Very good LP, that.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Crankcase
Come along, we all have six degrees. Of separation.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - four wheels good...
I too will drag the average down. No degrees or even A levels here.

I dun wento scool an lernd reedin ritin an rifmatik so i no lots of stuf
I've had the Three Degrees but not all at once.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Dave_
>> I've had the Three Degrees but not all at once

You are BBD in disguise AICMFP.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - FocalPoint
I've had the third degree...
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Dave_
There must be a professor or two on here then, as there seem to be a fair few of us who progressed no higher than O-Levels. (GCSEs in my case - 9 of them though)
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - devonite
I`ll volunteer to own up as a "thicko" - i was going to don the conical hat and stand in the corner, but despite trying three times i couldn`t make one that had the "D" at the front.
Made it as far as A=levels then decided I had enough of education and it was the world of work for me.

Remember the head of sixth form showing me some chart about how after X years the people who went to uni would be earning more than me, and even taking into account my extra years in the workforce I would earn much less.

So far at 35 that has not been the case - I only work 35 hours a week and am well paid for what I do.

Rattle is a prime example of someone with a degree, but still earning less that his potential. From some ofthe comments Rattle has made I can stab a guess at his earnings, and it aint much
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - -
We are what we are, warts and all, we all played the cards we had at the time when we were of education age and did the best we could at the time, can't stick an old head on young shoulders and nor should you try.

Incomes and associated power and eligibility attained might be the Holy Grail to some.
To others it is of no interest, save that they have enough for a reasonable standard of living...without having to follow a set path or career.

SWM and i had a long discussion on our lack of ambitions and lack of academic attainments.
We came to an interesting conclusion, we really are not bothered by any of it and are happy with our lot, if we had 10 times our income we'd only buy a more remote home and live an even more reclusive life than we already do.
...we'd only buy a more remote home and live an even more reclusive life than we already do...

Which might be less healthy - certainly less mentally healthy - than your current lifestyle.

Why is this site full of people of above average? - Londoner
>>We came to an interesting conclusion, we really are not bothered by any of it and are happy with our lot, if we had 10 times our income we'd only buy a more remote home and live an even more reclusive life than we already do.
+1

Good post. SWMBO and I feel exactly the same.

>> Good post. SWMBO and I feel exactly the same.

>Same for us up 'ere.

Ted
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Westpig
>> I`ll volunteer to own up as a "thicko" - i was going to don the
>> conical hat and stand in the corner, but despite trying three times i couldn`t make
>> one that had the "D" at the front.
>>

Have you got a smock...with some straw hanging out of the sleeves?...:-)
...Have you got a smock...with some straw hanging out of the sleeves?...:-)...

Every village needs its idiot.

I don't want the job full-time, but I like to fill in occasionally.

The only reason I mentioned my degree was in a tongue in cheek reply to Rob :).

It has become increasingly irrelevant to me but that kind of wants to make me study more.

Also intelligence is a very funny thing, Ted for example mentions not have many qualifications but he is a very intelligent man who is able to build his own engines (health permitting) out of scrap parts.

I know how an engine works but I am clueless when it comes to actually messing with engines, although I am quite good at fault finding the electrical items. I've repaired things like throttle position sensors, bodged low voltage wiring harnesses etc but ask me to a change a cambelt and I would not have a clue. I would be able to lock into TDC etc but I would not be able to work out how to use the spanners in the first place.

I am just not very good with my hands or that good with my brain. I think I have a lot of knowledge rather than intelligence hence why I am not earning 50k a year as a software engineer.
, Ted for example mentions not have many qualifications
>> but he is a very intelligent man who is able to build his own engines
>> (health permitting) out of scrap parts.

Hell, I like you, you can come round to my house and sleep with my sister !

Ted

>> Hell, I like you, you can come round to my house and sleep with my
>> sister !

Just dont ask him for a reach around...

Full Metal Jacket, a rich source!

>> Full Metal Jacket, a rich source!

Seems to me the best part of you.....etc !

Ted
>>
Rattle - if you enjoy learning and want to take it further then I think thats great - my gripe is with the schools that now brainwash kids into thinking that they must have a degree or they will spend their lives flipping burgers which is just not true.

The jobs market appears to be awash with people who are well qualified (some with no real inteligence) and many will never use there chosen degree in their line of work.

I have friends who have english degrees who work for 15K a year as receptionists - they may as well have skipped the degree bit and had 3 years more income
I think some people manage to get degrees and are not intelligent - just good at exams.

I said above I have two - one of them is actually a research masters degree. But at school I could easily pass exams as I have a good memory. I am also a good problem solver as I seem to be able to absorb a lot of info, analyse and come up with an answer or plan. Probably why I was good at A level maths in mechanics and pure but didn't like statistics as much.

At work I still find it frustrating when the facts are presented and quickly know the best way forward. Some don't and need a lot of hand holding to explain why things are so. A lot of the time the not so bright ones that need things explaining are project managers though. Some it seems don't understand IT.... in an IT company.

The thing is with today's high fees... I'd not go for one now. I'd get where I am without it. I joined on a graduate scheme but didn't jump about as I knew what role I wanted.

As an aside, and I don't have the actual figures to hand but last year I believe there were thousands and thousands of applicants for each graduate job effectively. So most applications would have been filtered and many good applicants' application ended up in the bin.
I think I would have done things differently as well, but I was brain washed and mislead. That said my younger sister has a degree and she is now earning 32k a year, her degree is not really relevant to her job (well it is indirectly) but it was the degree that got her a job as it was an internal post and she was the only person in the organisation (which employs about 10000 or more) that was interested in the post that had the right qualifications.

Her five grade A's at A level including maths, computing and further maths probably helped though!

I wish I was as clever as her, but in many ways she is also quite blonde, ask where Dorset is for example and she wouldn't have a clue, where I could tell her exactly what trains to catch and where, even though I've never been there. But that is knowledge, rather than intelligence.
>> I was brain washed and mislead
Many are. A friend of my step-son has just got a 2-2 I think from Stockport College in what is likely a worthless degree. And the debt to go with it.
Stockport don't offer degrees but they will out source it. MMU And UCLAN do a lot of this, so the degree is taught by a local college but awarded by which ever university offers it. It is really designed for people who need to stay local but they also tend to have lower entry standards.
I think you know what I meant by it though. The degrees from a course like this is pretty worthless.

>> I could tell her exactly what trains to catch and where, even though I've never
>> been there. But that is knowledge, rather than intelligence.

Thats Autism rattle!
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - swiss tony
>> I wish I was as clever as her, but in many ways she is also quite blonde, ask where Dorset is for example and she wouldn't have a clue,

In my experience education and intelligence are not automatically bedfellows.
I know (through work) many high powered VERY educated people.
Many of them have no common sense at all. In my book intelligence IS common sense....

Strange how many people can be in charge of huge company's, but are barely able to organise their own life.
My grandfather Jan,couldn't read or write owned a couple of barges.Later bought a pub (cafe hotel) He was well known in our village drank more than the customers.:)

Make the best what you have got Rattle,you are a bright lad think about what you really like to do and go for it.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Fursty Ferret
My overwhelming memory of school and the first few years of uni is that I was a lazy sod*.

Scraped a 2:1, though to me the life experience of university was far more valuable than the content of the degree.

* Still am, I suppose, which is why I get paid to snooze and read the paper.
>> Scraped a 2:1, .............

What's a 2:1?
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Fursty Ferret
>> >> Scraped a 2:1, .............
>>
>> What's a 2:1?
>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification#Upper_second-class_Honours
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - R.P.
A 2:2 is known as a "Desmond"
Desmond TuTu

Ho HO.
I used to call my Desmond's mates a vicar. Vicar in a Tutu in by the Smiths, a song about Desmond Tutu.

I just missed out on a 1st and got a high 2:1, but I did work very hard for it, but I admit that some of the maths modules I scraped by.

Not really done anything since I graduated in 2005, but I did pass a photography course at the Open University (got 70%) and passed my driving test first time to keep up with the tradition of everybody in my family passing first time.

I know long term I want to get out of the technology industry and do something a bit more long term but I just have no idea what, I would quite like to do something like working for trading standards but there is just far too much competition.
I want to get out of the UK long-term (Greece might get cheap soon) but I might try to do something IT related.

In the UK I won't want to get out of IT yet - I get paid a reasonable chunk including a good company car allowance. Downside is the final salary pension is closed but my employer is paying an amount equal to 20% of salary per annum the replacement scheme (plus my personal contribution on top of that).
but I did pass a photography course at the Open University (got 70%)

Late developer ?
>> but I did pass a photography course at the Open University (got 70%)
>>
>> Late developer ?
>
Exposed late in life.
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Mapmaker
>>Why is this site full of people of above average?

Is it?
We all have more than the average number of legs.
>> We all have more than the average number of legs.
>>

and balls, eyes, nipples........... but not, I would suggest, brains!
ONe has to assume, that everyone has a brain (size or effectiveness for this argument is not a factor). One also has to assume that there are surviving cojoined people sharing one brain, so actually, we all have less than the average number of brains.

Assuming of course that all the co-joined people are not contributing here.
Intelligence is like the ability to drive...everyone assumes they are above average.

Other people see them as they really are.

Pat

>> ONe has to assume, >>

Don't drag me into your assumptions.
I was taught asses assumed...
 Why is this site full of people of above average? - Mapmaker
>> >> We all have more than the average number of legs.
>> >>
>>
>> and balls, eyes, nipples........... but not, I would suggest, brains!

I suggest we probably mostly have a below-average number of nipples.
Indeed, plenty of tri nippled peeps about.
>> plenty of tri nippled peeps about.

They used to burn them at the stake as witches. Satan was supposed to feed from the spare one.
Does Francisco Scaramanga post here?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 25 Jul 11 at 19:35
I doubt it, James Bond killed him,
You Only Live Twice
Damn, two bucket lists then.
>> Indeed, plenty of tri nippled peeps about.
>>

I did think about this before posting, but decided on balance that frequency of radical mastectomy(s) probably outweighed occurences of 3rd nipples.
However after reading
emedicine.medscape.com/article/1117825-overview
I guess that I was wrong! 1 in 500 by some estimates.
There is not necessarily a correlation between breasts and nipples:

www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/TechandScience/Story/STIStory_692656.html
>> 1 in 500 by some estimates.

How amazing. Must have given Titus Oates an easier time than he perhaps expected.
Someone historically significant had three, I can't remember who though - I was only reading about it a couple of months ago...:-(
Mark Wahlberg
Anne Boleyn
Carrie Underwood
Masuimi Max
Lily Allen
Krusty the Clown.
None of the above.
Latest Forum Posts