Non-motoring > Best ever band Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 30

Best ever band - Iffy
The Beatles - by many miles.

There have been better single albums - certainly brilliant single songs - by others.

But no band has come close to producing such a consistently high quality series of albums and singles.

There's hardly one duffer song in their whole output.

I anticipate some disagreement, but remember I'm talking about a band's - or artist's - complete catalogue, not just an album or song.

Best ever band - Roger.
The massed bands of the Royal Marines!
 Best ever band - teabelly
Nope.

My vote would be for Pink Floyd, the entire era from their psychedelic roots to more rocky output. No duffers.

I expect a lot of disagreement :)
 Best ever band - L'escargot
Status Quo.
 Best ever band - Stuu
Survivor defined my childhood music, only way to fight against Kylie and Jason. Eww.
 Best ever band - RattleandSmoke
I do not have a favourite band because they are too many great bands, my favourite musician is probably Paul Simon though.

I also love the Smiths because nearly every track they made was great, and they were only around for four years.

I am a big Joy Division fan too, made some cracking stuff but sadly also made some crap, just like New Order.
 Best ever band - Runfer D'Hills
Got to say Pink Floyd would be up there but ultimately for me it has to be The Rolling Stones. In my younger days, driving regularly across Europe late at night they kept me alert and entertained through many a small hour of the morning. The Beatles were undoubtedly good but always left me a bit cold. Bit too up their own fundaments for me, especially Lennon frankly.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkFjYRWM4M
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 22 Jul 11 at 19:15
 Best ever band - Zero
>> The Beatles - by many miles.
>

They were not a band, they were a group. Even as a group they were not even in the running, turned out a huuuuuuuuge pile of nondescript boring tatt.

The best band?

Glenn Miller.

The best Group?

It deserves a ponder.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Jul 11 at 19:20
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhVLiHPUOIM&feature=related

Game set and match. For me anyway.
 Best ever band - Zero
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhVLiHPUOIM&feature=related
>>
>> Game set and match. For me anyway.

Thats not even the best of the rolling stones, let alone the best band!
Subjectively granted. For me it's the best.
 Best ever band - Zero
>> Subjectively granted. For me it's the best.

Maybe, but I dont know how you can say its better than this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDnJ0vXUgw

Ok its a little over produced, but really haunting stuff.

And its a great track to show just how shallow and crude the Be-attles were.
Good stuff - jump to the Apocalypse Now video version. Awesome
 Best ever band - corax
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDnJ0vXUgw
>>
>> Ok its a little over produced, but really haunting stuff.
>>
>> And its a great track to show just how shallow and crude the Be-attles were.

I love that track and this one too, a real motown influence running through it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYTLJ8YHi4
I can't believe I didn't mention the Clash, I think they have to be up their will some of the best bands of all time.

As for Glen Miller? I confess I do like some of us stuff, but its a bit old. I am more of a Buddy Holly fan, a bit more modern.
 Best ever band - Ian (Cape Town)
>> As for Glen Miller? I confess I do like some of us stuff, but its
>> a bit old. I am more of a Buddy Holly fan, a bit more modern.
>>

well, to continue the theme, have you ever listened to Stevie Ray Vaughn and Patsie Cline?
Or Jim Croce? Otis Redding?
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Fri 22 Jul 11 at 19:29
Really only into stuff from 76 onwards, and especially like a lot of the post punk early 80's stuff. I do like some of Otis Reading stuff I have listened to though.

Also quite heavily into classic rock, but I think a lot of them bands try too hard to be considered a best band ever.
 Best ever band - Ian (Cape Town)
As Wayne's World said: Schwing.
 Best ever band - Armel Coussine
Live gigs are iffier than recordings. Stands to reason dunnit? That said, some bands are far more dependable live than others. Some of the best have never been properly recorded, dance bands in mud-floored night clubs in sub-Saharan African towns... anyone who likes good live music, brave it and go there. You won't be disappointed.

I have been grossly spoiled and overprivileged in this area as in so many others. If I gave the whole list people would think I was boasting (although none of it was anything to do with me). But I can't resist disclosing that I heard the Floyd every week before they 'made it', when they were the house band at the UFO club, started by buddies of mine. I thought they were OK in a garish sort of way then, but they have made some dud and dreary stuff since. I approve of Nick Mason though for automotive reasons. Other than that, on these bands heard and so on, you don't want to know. It will only make you hate me again.

I would repeat in passing that bands are only really good live sometimes, and that anyone young, enthusiastic and stoned will then think it's the best band they have ever heard, until next time. It's just the same with books and movies. Enthusiasm is good though.

Or for something slightly more obscure -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-eHM-Hcwy4

Baby making music !
 Best ever band - corax
>> They were not a band, they were a group.

I was waiting for the Z to pooh pooh that idea :)

There isn't really a best band - many bands are great. All depends on personal taste. One of the best artists for me has to be David Bowie.
 Best ever band - Robin O'Reliant
Rolling Stones for me too.
 Best ever band - MrTee43
The one person I can listen to and never tire of is Mark Knopfler, be it in his early days with Dire Straights or with his touring band as in "Real Live Road Running" with Emmy Lou Harris.

I have seen him play live and I can honestly say it is better than the recorded stuff. He is a master guitar player and song writer as are all the guys he as in his "band".

A real talent unlike some of the so called musicians of today.
Having said that - www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlsBObg-1BQ
 Best ever band - CGNorwich
Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five (first) by a very long way.
Oh and...

:-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzQ1pNfbe3Q&feature=fvwrel
 Best ever band - Roger.
Any REALLY good big band - Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Charley Barnet, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, etc, etc.
Any REALLY good Trad Jazz band. Early Chris Barber, Early Acker Bilk, Ken Colyer, The ODJB etc. etc.
 Best ever band - Ted

Well said, Zero and Roger...Glenn Miller's band of the Aemy Air Force must rank in the top five ever.

He invented a ' sound ' which was unique.
Listen to the opening bars of this.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCUsYIwpfVs

Benny Goodman, Fletcher Henderson, King Oliver, Bert Ambrose, Lew Stone, Henry Hall, Debroy Somers and so on.

Everlasting !

Ted
 Best ever band - -
Alice Cooper.
 Best ever band - DP
Queen have to be up there, surely.
 Best ever band - Dave
ABBA all the way.
Latest Forum Posts