Non-motoring > Favourite places. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 58

Favourite places. - Old Navy
As a follow on from Rattles thread, what are your favourite places in the UK and world? This does not include your home as this is everyone's favourite place.

UK
Scottish Highlands

World
Perth, Western Australia.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 15:37
 Favourite places. - Stuu
UK: Looe/Polperro, Cornwall

World: Rothenburg, Germany
Last edited by: FoR on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 16:05
 Favourite places. - RattleandSmoke
I like North Wales because there is some stunning scenery and its less than 100 miles from me.

Never really got Derbyshire, it is nice and pretty and I can see why people live there but as a holiday place there seems is simply more stunning places like the Lakes or North Wales.

Also like Cornwall and Devon and but it is all for different reasons, I don't really have a favourite place but I may have to say Benllech in Anglesey but that is more because of memories rather than the place itself. I also love Llandudno for the same reason.

Also have a lot of happy memories of the Porthmadog area.

In the world the two cities which have impressed the most is Paris and Barcelona but for different reasons.
 Favourite places. - Redviper

UK:

Whitby
Richmond North Yorks (Born and raised here so maybe a bit biased but I don't care)
Anywhere in North Yorkshire
Scottish Highlands
Lake District

World: (Ive only ever been to the rep of Ireland, so this is just based on where I would like to go)

rep of Ireland
New York (Im going next year on my honeymoon - cant wait!!!!)
Austrilia
Italy
Germany

Favourite places. - Roger.
My bed, wherever it is!
 Favourite places. - Zero
Uk - Southwold, Sea, sand, refined, good food, and a brewery.

Probably, not sure, so many parts of the uk. Not been to Blackpool tho.

World? wow so much. Santa Barbara, San francisco, Rawa island
 Favourite places. - four wheels good...
UK Middle of Dartmoor

World Jervis Bay ACT OZ

Sent on exchange visit to HMAS Creswell an RAN training academy in the middle of a national park. Big bay often with whales, bright white sand that squeeks as you walk on it, had to shoo the roos out of the way on the way to work, kookaburras stealing food from the barby (noisy at 0400 though).

Poor guy From OZ went to Devonport Dockyard.
 Favourite places. - R.P.
A little place called Cefn Meiriadog - about 10 minutes from the A55 in road terms, a million miles away in other senses........

Not sure about abroad. Too many to choose from.
It is interesting that the place where people lives affect where they like the most. The highlands are probably lovely but its too far for me. I do like the Lakes but also got too many painful memories there.

Favourite places. - Zero

>> Lakes but also got too many painful memories there.

Yeah so do I, I fell down a fell.
 Favourite places. - Pat
UK: Looe

World: Still Looe, sitting on a rock watching and listening to the sea alone.

Pat
 Favourite places. - Londoner
UK: Sheffield Park, Sussex, in Autumn.

World: The Island of Madeira

The best months to go there are January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December.
 Favourite places. - CGNorwich
Too cloudy in June
 Favourite places. - Runfer D'Hills
The beach at North Berwick and on up past Fidra lighthouse towards Gullane at low tide early on a Christmas morning when it's ice cold but sunny and preferably with a dog to run with and a stick to throw...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 18:16
 Favourite places. - Zero
Its when they find a dead seal its funny

They really really try to bring that home, such a trophy...
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 18:18
 Favourite places. - Dave_
I'm not at all well travelled, so:

UK: Anywhere with mountains.

World: Anywhere with mountains.

I think I'd like lazing on a beach somewhere hot, not tried it yet though.
 Favourite places. - MrTee43
Somewhere high up ,in the French Alps, Tignes, Val d'isere or somewhere similar, on a crisp sunny day, oodles of perfect snow and a pair of Rossignols on my ski boots.

Magic.
Last edited by: MrTee43 on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 19:12
Aye, that would do.
 Favourite places. - Iffy
Outside my caravan on a clear night in December when I can see just how many stars there are in the sky.

Problem with that is one of my least favourite places is inside my caravan at the same time when the water's frozen and it's near impossible to get properly warm.

Favourite places. - R.P.
Ying and Yang iffy, Ying and Yang.
 Favourite places. - Mapmaker
I'll take a good mountain with a pair of skis, a Scottish river with a rod and nobody else, the Northumbrian hills with a pack of hounds. Or sitting on a bus crossing Westminster Bridge, Blackfriars coming a close second.

Or Moscow - current latest passion.
 Favourite places. - BiggerBadderDave
London - any good pub or bar, buzzing with life.

Spain - by a pool, wearing shades, watching the talent wobble by.
 Favourite places. - Mapmaker
Talent shouldn't wobble.
The age he goes after he's not got to be too fussy...
I like London too, especially some of the alternative bars in the Camden area, reminds me of being back at home.

Eskimo's wives Iffy. That's what you need.
 Favourite places. - Meldrew
UK. Skye & Highlands

World Lakes and Mountains. Bavaria, Switzerland Western Austria, Dolomites
 Favourite places. - Dog
No ones mentioned Exmoor ~ my favorite moor, Dartmoor is nice too, especially in the Winter,

I lived on Bodmin Moor for 6.5 years and now live on a Moor in mid Cornwall ( d'ya get the picture!)

I must like remote high places b'cos Montana Blanca 12,000ft up Mount Teide in Tenerife is another fave.
 Favourite places. - Londoner
A "Dog" living on the moor... you're not the Hound of the Baskervilles are you?

If you at your happiest living on a moor, does that make it "The Moor the Merrier"?

....already got my coat, thanks......
 Favourite places. - Dog
>>A "Dog" living on the moor... you're not the Hound of the Baskervilles are you?

If you at your happiest living on a moor, does that make it "The Moor the Merrier"?<<

You get moor rain up here, and there are moor Lambs than Sheeple, so it's moor peaceful,

But, in the final analysis - I ain't nuffing but a Hound Dog really (and no Poodle, either!)
 Favourite places. - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Problem with that is one of my least favourite places is inside my caravan at
>> the same time when the water's frozen and it's near impossible to get properly warm.
>>
>>
>>

I'm sure once long ago we were told how it comes about that a nice gent like you comes to be living in a freezing caravan.
Have death duties forced you to let Iffy Towers to a pop star or an American billionaire who graciously lets you squat in your rotting van in a far corner of the park? :)
 Favourite places. - Meldrew
Friend of of mine went to Madeira in early May this year and "enjoyed" a 7 day thunderstorm. I landed there as it ended and never opened my umbrealla in a 7 day holiday. One can be lucky, and I was!
 Favourite places. - Bromptonaut
Mostly on the Western Isles; Capeabhal, Northton, Traigh Rossamol, Huisnis, Uig to breanish, the Butt of Lewis, Tobh Mor and Berneray (where my daughter is tonight).

Otherwise in UK; the Newlands Valley, New Forest, Lizard, Ilkley Moor. Scarborough for it's nostalgic links to childhood.

Out of the UK; A campsite above Le Mont Dore just below the source of the Dordogne - where I will be a week tonight.
 Favourite places. - DP
UK: Padstow, Cornwall.

Global: Brisbane, Australia.
 Favourite places. - henry k
I and my family have been fortunate to have travelled aboad extensively over many years.
My job frequently meant lots of additional far flung foreign travel.
I have not seen a lot of the UK especially the North and Scotland.
So many wonderful places and experiences.
The two that we keep returning to time and time again so are probably favourite.

UK. Dreaming Spires - Oxford which I have visited many times and continue to.

Global Simonstown just down the road from Capetown.
 Favourite places. - Ted
UK..any place I can get to on a motor-bike.

All the West of Scotland.
Derbyshire's High Peak
Keswick and Derwentwater
Shropshire, Much Wenlock and the Long Mynd area.

World
All of Meldrew's
Paxos
Florence, Siena, Assissi, Montepulciano.
Bruges.
Due Fratelli..( restaurant near home )

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 23:18
 Favourite places. - legacylad
Last Friday, round about 07:15, I was on my final day backpacking the SW Coast Path, 240 miles in 12 days, Plymouth to Poole. The Minehead to Plymouth section I walked a few years ago.
I had wild camped in a hollow above Chapmans Pool, the sky was cloudless, the sea flat calm and bluer than blue, and on St Aldhelms Head (about 8 miles W of Swanage) I sat on a stone seat looking back West from the direction in which I had walked. I could just hear the sea below, a few wheeling gulls, and the air was filled with songbirds. The inscription on the seat read ''Time passes, listen, time passes''.
That emotional moment, and that place, will remain with me for a long time.

Favourite places. - Pat
I had a similar moment sitting on the base of the War Memorial on the Polperro to Looe stretch just before Talland Bay.

Only special people really appreciate special moments.

Pat
 Favourite places. - NortonES2
Black Head, Burren, County Clare.
 Favourite places. - Dog
I had an experience like that when we lived in Tenerife, I was in Palm Mar which looks across to the abomination which is Los Cristianos & Las Americas, and all of a sudden, for a few moments, I had the feeling that our Creator was looking out on the World, through my eyes, and that although Humanity is quite messed up,
no-doubt the Universe was unfolding, as it should.
"Only special people really appreciate special moments"

Special needs...
 Favourite places. - helicopter
In the UK it has to be North Northumberland, in particular Farne Islands , Holy Island and Bamburgh coastline.

Abroad is a difficult choice but the mountains and beaches of south west Crete are number one, just sitting with SWMBO , cold beer and good food in a little taverna .......

Madeira is a close second and Great Wall of China third choice
 Favourite places. - Zero

>> Only special people really appreciate special moments.
>

Cobblers!
I know some cobblers.
 Favourite places. - R.P.
Some are cobblers and others have cobblers thrust upon them....
 Favourite places. - FocalPoint
"Time passes. Listen. Time passes."

A quotation from near the beginning of "Under Milk Wood", by Dylan Thomas, part of what you could describe as the prologue. An atmospheric piece of writing if ever there was one.

My current favourite place in the UK is the churchyard of St Just-in-Roseland, Cornwall. If you have even been there you will know why.

As for the rest of the world - I've travelled only in Europe and I have yet to find a city to beat Venice, preferably approached by water. As regards landscapes, the Amalfi Coast takes some beating.
 Favourite places. - Dog
>>My current favourite place in the UK is the churchyard of St Just-in-Roseland, Cornwall. If you have even been there you will know why<<

+1 on that Squire FP, have you ever read the inscription in the little entrance to the g/yard ...

"Here rest the sleeping dead, and too I,
When yonder dial strikes the hour, must we,
Look around in orderly aray, see how the buried host await the judgement day,
Stranger in peace pursue thine onward road, but never forget thy last and long abode".
 Favourite places. - spamcan61
Anywhere along the Camel trail between Old Town Cove and Padstow.

Stockholm
 Favourite places. - Fenlander
Not hard to please... anywhere in the West coast of Scotland for me as well... prefer to be floating rather than grounded when possible. There are other good bits of Scotland too... Easlsferry just along the coast from ON is nice.
>> Not hard to please... anywhere in the West coast of Scotland for me as well...
>> prefer to be floating rather than grounded when possible. There are other good bits of
>> Scotland too... Easlsferry just along the coast from ON is nice.
>>

Earlsferry and the and the fishing villages along that coast are nearby and make for a pleasant potter about.

I would add the Scottish West coast and Islands to the Highlands in my OP.
 Favourite places. - hillman1
For the UK, I would say it would be either the New Forest or the Lake District, both beautiful places for different reasons.

For the rest of the world- I am not particularly well travelled, but of the places I have been to I would say that the Bicaz Gorges in Northern Romania would be top of my list- absolutely stunning place!
 Favourite places. - Westpig
I'm another West Scottish Highlands for this country...

....as for abroad, i'm not convinced i've been to enough places to make a proper judegment.

One place I really want to go to, but haven't yet is the West Coast of the USA, Yosemite national Park etc. Briefly did San Fransisco and despite usually being a hater of cities, we both quite liked it.
I can recommend a seven say tour of the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon national park, and Zion national park, etc. The only downside is it runs from Las Vegas, which is OK to see briefly but must be like Blackpool on steroids, (I have not been to Blackpool.) :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 21 Jul 11 at 17:44
 Favourite places. - Zero
I have no doubt that Blackpool comes nowhere close to Las Vegas. ( I have never been to Blackpool either)
"I have no doubt that Blackpool comes nowhere close to Las Vegas."

Blackpool is an utter, utter, utter pit. It's Ashton-under-Lyne on a Friday night - but by the sea. An absolute horror of a place. It's worse than Salford, that's how bad it is.

I took my wife there a few years ago, to show her some of my childhood. She said 'what the hell did you bring me here for.'
 Favourite places. - Iffy
Blackpool is good at what it does - a tacky seaside resort.

Good crazy golf course, too.

Favourite places. - Avant
Very evocative, this thread. I'd second all the Scottish and Cornish votes (especially either side of Talland Bay), as well as North Northumberland. As Legacylad has just found out, there's somethiong very special about the Dorset section of the SW coast path. The view from Golden Cap is perhaps the best of the lot, but St. Anselm's Head has the advantage of being that much more remote from civilisation.

The most recent thing to stick in my mind was looking out from the British Camp above Great Malvern (it could have been anywhere along the great ridge of the Malvern Hills) and thinking that nowhere else in the world would you get quite the same combination of villages, houses and churches amid green fields. New Zealand comes near, but through no fault of its own it doesn't have the history that gave us those views.

That said, a journey round the South Island coast of NZ is pretty special: for my all-time favourite views it would have to be the view of Knysna Western Head (South Africa) from the Eastern Head, and the view from above the Schloss high above Vaduz in Liechtenstein.
 Favourite places. - AshT
Hard to choose a favourite place in Britain - there are so many places and everywhere changes with the seasons. However, pushed to name somewhere in the Summer it'd have to be Scarborough and the North York Moors, which is glorious in the sunshine, and in the Winter Brean beach which is wonderfully bleak and desolate on a cold day.

Overseas it'd have to be Ile d' Oleron in France - had a few wonderful holidays there.
 Favourite places. - movilogo
Most places where I have already been, I don't want to go there again as I prefer to explore new places instead.

I have been to few places more than twice though and sometimes it is different parts of the country.

In UK, I would say the following:

Lake District, Peak District, Scottish Highlands and parts of Wales

Worldwide, I'd say - Switzerland, Western Canada, Himalayas, Southern France
Latest Forum Posts