Non-motoring > Brick built barbecue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 42

Brick built barbecue - BobbyG
Still got a load o bricks left over from the house extension and thought might have an attempt at building a brick barbecue.

Anyone done this from scratch that has had no previous experience of laying bricks? Or any experienced members wish to give me any pointers?
 Brick built barbecue - Runfer D'Hills
Guy who has been doing a fair chunk of building work for us rently reckons he gets loads of work fixing jobs people have lashed up themselves first...

Just get stuck in Bobby, how hard can it be? It's only like big Lego with a bit of glue isn't it?.

;-)

( cue Martin...)
 Brick built barbecue - MD
>> ( cue Martin...)
>>
Lay 'em Frog up.
Ok I'll ask. ( 'cos most of you don't know what he means either but don't want to look stupid but it's too late for me so it doesn't matter does it ? )

What's a "Frog" when it's on a brick then? The dented bit?
 Brick built barbecue - Zero
Yeah - the frog is the trough in the centre of the brick.
 Brick built barbecue - R.P.
Even I knew that.
Yeah sure you did !

:-)
 Brick built barbecue - rtj70
I didn't. But I'd have used Google to find out if I wanted to know.
Good old Wiki -

"The term "frog" for the indentation on one bed of the brick is a word that often excites curiosity as to its origin. The most likely explanation is that brickmakers also call the block that is placed in the mould to form the indentation a frog. Modern brickmakers usually use plastic frogs but in the past they were made of wood. When these are wet and have clay on them they resemble the amphibious kind of frog and this is where they got their name. Over time this term also came to refer to the indentation left by them."

Brick built barbecue - swiss tony
>> Good old Wiki -
>>
>> "The term "frog" for the indentation on one bed of the brick is a word
>> that often excites curiosity as to its origin. ..................................

Rivit.... rivit.... riviting!
well at least he learned something toaday
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 23:10
No, I wasn't very excited either but I have learned something tonight. That some bricks have frogs in them. I'd like to bet there are those who've gone to their graves without knowing that you know. Why frog upwards? Is the next question to be begged of course...What dire consequences follow if your frogs are inverted? We need to know...In the morning'll do.
 Brick built barbecue - bathtub tom
>>What dire consequences follow if your frogs are inverted?

You need less mortar?

Or is there mortar it?

Coat, cycling helmet, I'm on my way.
And don't forget to get one of the Point Master things advertised on the right (sometimes) in this thread to do the pointing quickly. I bet it doesn't really work like the video in the advert.
 Brick built barbecue - CGNorwich
Have built a number of dwarf garden walls etc. If you don't mind a certain rusticity to the result not really too difficult (am not talking about anything that matters too much here!).

You will admire professional bricklayers a lot more after you have finished!

If you follow these instructions you should be OK

www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/barbecue/
Can you not take 'em back for a refund at Tesco? You got the receipt?

Never done it but it can't be hard to do. It's not even supporting any load.
 Brick built barbecue - devonite
i would`nt use them anywhere near the "firebox" area, base and legs probably ok, some bricks are prone to explode when they get over-warm!
 Brick built barbecue - Cliff Pope
Why cement them? Just stack them up, and then if you don't like it you can take it down or move it.
Piece of cake, any half witted ham fisted DIYer can build one.

I did.
 Brick built barbecue - Mapmaker
Where's BBD? OK, Bobby, are you sure that open flames are a good idea near your house?
Mapmaker, I am actually going to use it to replace a gas BBQ I have.

I find that with the gas, you don't get the "whole" barbecue thing, ie. getting the fire lit, watching the coals till they are ready (which provides ample drinking time) and then once you are cooking, getting that smoky taste and also I believe the charcoal gives a more controlled heat.

With the gas one, whenever fat drops onto the flames you get a mini fire whereas with charcoal you don't.

>> With the gas one, whenever fat drops onto the flames you get a mini fire
>> whereas with charcoal you don't.

Yes you do. Fat is fat, it burns into a fire wherever you put it somewhere hot.

I moved form charcoal to gas, It's much more controllable, much more convenient and subsequently gets used much more often. During the summer months we use it about 3 times a week.
 Brick built barbecue - DP
>> I moved form charcoal to gas, It's much more controllable, much more convenient and subsequently
>> gets used much more often.

I'm doing the opposite and going "back" to charcoal because for all the advantages of gas - and there are many - the simple fact is, the food coming off a charcoal barbecue tastes better, and the smell of food cooking on a charcoal barbecue is divine.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 12:25
 Brick built barbecue - Iffy
Friend of mine on the caravan site is an expert barbecue cook - he makes it look easy.

The most important tip is to light the barbecue and leave it until it's almost going out before starting cooking.

Charcoal is best for a single cooking session, which is what a friends and family barbecue is.

Gas might be better for a food service, such as cooking to order for customers in a pub garden.

>> Charcoal is best for a single cooking session, which is what a friends and family
>> barbecue is.

Trouble is, you rarely get charcoal BBQs that are big enough for friends and families. Tho the bigger the charcoal BBQ the better is it, big ones give a really nice even heat that will last for several hours.
...Trouble is, you rarely get charcoal BBQs that are big enough for friends and families...

My friend's barbecue has a circular grid about 14" in diameter.

He fed five of us easily, although I suppose it would be a struggle for many more.

>> I moved form charcoal to gas, It's much more controllable, much more convenient and subsequently gets used much more often. During the summer months we use it about 3 times
>> a week.
>>
What SUMMER???
Its the arid south down here remember,
Must get some proper specs, these Sainburys jobs are dangerous. Could have sworn that said 'orid south....
Spec.World in Sanbach....
Well it's been 'orrid South West for the past few days. Sissing down for a pastime.
Murdochs son does a nice line in specs, would suit you and your ageing trendy look.
>>Why cement them? Just stack them up, and then if you don't like it you can take it down or move it.
Thought of that but am sure the puppy would bring it down very quickly!
 Brick built barbecue - Fursty Ferret
Yeah, but with gas you don't get the traditional BBQ WHOOOOOOMMMPPPHHH after using too much lighter fluid.
No but with gas you get cooked (not burned) exteriors and cooked (not raw) interiors to your food.
...No but with gas you get cooked (not burned) exteriors and cooked (not raw) interiors to your food...

Shouldn't happen with steaks - must be pilot error.

My barbecue friend pre/part cooks chicken.

Brick built barbecue - CGNorwich
Most people use charcoal when its far too hot. You need to cook on a dying fire, the charcoal should be covered in white ash not glowing like a volcano. Remember you can smelt iron with a charcoal fire!

The best way to cook a chicken on a barbecue is with a Weber covered barbecue. Light two separate side fires and put chicken on grill. Cover with dome and it will be perfectly done in 1hour 20 minutes for a 3 1/2 lb bird
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 13:44
Cook it in the house and pass it through kitchen window...!
>> Cook it in the house and pass it through kitchen window...!

Now that is a Scottish BBQ!
>> >> Cook it in the house and pass it through kitchen window...!
>>
>>
>> Now that is a Scottish BBQ!
No

This is a scottish BBQ.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chip-Shop-Frying-Range-Price-Iverson-/320727149214?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item4aacd3ea9e

>> Remember you can smelt iron with a charcoal fire!

Not sure that most BBQs are equipped to smelt iron. I'll cover one with turf and get Nicole working on the bellows, and let you know if it melts.
 Brick built barbecue - sherlock47
i have a simple rule: the charcoal is just right for cooking when you have finished the cheese course!

Why do I never learn?
the cheese goes on the burger....
Latest Forum Posts