Non-motoring > Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 19

Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Meldrew
A really annoying (to me) new trend is for the BBC to play carp music during sporting events. Whenever there is a summary of events or background bio on competitors Beeb think we music to go with it, over and above the pictures and verbal comments. Also there was an interesting prog last night (Part 1 of 4) about the Impressionist painters - music was superfluous here too! Normally if I don't like the music I mute the sound but if one wants the commentary one is stuck with music that wouldn't be good on Radio 1
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - swiss tony
I agree....
That and the current fashion of 'sweeping' camera shots when a static shot conveys the story better.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - CGNorwich
"Also there was an interesting prog last night (Part 1 of 4) about the Impressionist painters - music was superfluous here too! "

Well I watched and enjoyed that programme too and I must say that I didn't recall any particularly intrusive music. Have just quickly scanned through it on Iplayer and didn't find anything not in keeping with the programme,bearing in mind it was a pieced of popular television and not a lecture.

I suppose some are more easily irritated.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Roger.
i use the subtitle facility a lot!
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Zero
>> "Also there was an interesting prog last night (Part 1 of 4) about the Impressionist
>> painters - music was superfluous here too! "
>>
>> Well I watched and enjoyed that programme too and I must say that I didn't
>> recall any particularly intrusive music. Have just quickly scanned through it on Iplayer and didn't
>> find anything not in keeping with the programme,bearing in mind it was a pieced of
>> popular television and not a lecture.
>>
>> I suppose some are more easily irritated.

I watched parts of that as well, and it was all perfectly judged.

This complaint about BBC music, is a trendy one, much discussed on the web and in newspapers.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Meldrew
Each to their own! To me music adds nothing the portrayal of and commentary on sporting events. In many circumstances the music is unnecessary and detracts from or, at best, does not match the action well. I will lay odds that nobody has contacted the BBC and asked for musical extras. Some graduate in Meeja studies has decided that they want to give it to us and we are stuck with it. Same with music in restaurants, shops and lifts! Is not requested and serves no useful purpose
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 14:53
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Robin O'Reliant
It's always been the same on the BBC though.

It used to really annoy me how they spoiled Top of The Pops with that irritating music all the way through.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - busbee
Meldrew:

I mainly watch documentary type stuff in which the clarity of the speech is important to my enjoyment. There was a time when music did not intrude, but now it is played over the speech frequently, even during a David Attenborough contribution, as I discovered the other day. I have given up watching most of the stuff.

I am so infuriated by it all that I would willingly see BBC closed down and the money spent elsewhere. I don't watch ball games, except snooker, they bore me. The comedians are naff. People in jeans jumping up and down while trying to play a stringed instrument are . . . . Most chew the microphone which shows they are clueless about acoustics. Even the 40 year old rockers.

The documentary intrusion has been getting worse for several years now and much has been written in the past on the BBC notice board with zero affect. Nothing will change with the existing management. And probably not if it is replaced.

As to why we are stuffed with it, I think enough clues now exist.

First consider the music choice of people that think it is appropriate.

There has been a music thread here expressing choices of music and there is also a current one saying what they would like at their funeral. With only about one exception, I did not like any of it. So, of course, if any of that stuff were played during a documentary, they would think it OK, whereas I would quickly shift elsewhere.

As to why people like such rubbishy music? It is a result of how their brain has been programmed and that in turn, depends on what they have been exposed to. No doubt when I express my preferences, they will say that is rubbish too.

I like brass bands when they are of the colliery band type, rather than like the classical proms. Also dance bands, The Squadronaires, James Last. Andre Rieu, etc., (not pop head bangers) and lots of music from various shows and films. Singers when they can. There are only a few.

To be fair to all, the best solution would be to exclude all music from documentaries. But since people much younger than me are in control of the programs, that is not going to happen. They like the music and think it is OK with everything. Even if they don't understand the subject, they still get something out of it. So it is being plastered over everything.
>> As to why people like such rubbishy music? It is a result of how their
>> brain has been programmed and that in turn, depends on what they have been exposed
>> to. No doubt when I express my preferences, they will say that is rubbish too.

Of course they will. From what you said you appear to be in a minority, so thats why you are not catered for. So you, poor lad, you will have to suffer for the greater good.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 17:30
How do you know you are not just the vocal minority?
Because you are complaining about it, so it must be prevalent!
"This complaint about BBC music, is a trendy one, much discussed on the web and in newspapers. "
addendum

By a small vocal minority.

If it was a wide problem they would have done something about it, Its not so they haven't. When it does they will.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 17:47
Viewers who watch documentaries are a small proportion of the total TV viewers so, as an opinion body, they are unlikely to be large enough to influence the BBC. And the people who do mess it up are also unlikely to be accused of losing many TV viewers.

On the other hand you, as unofficial administrator of this site, exert great influence. I just wonder why so many of the interesting contributors of the past no longer do.
And it what way has pointing out the obvious upset you? I see as a minority you think no-one else is allowed an opinion.

No wonder the BBC ignore you.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Redviper
Its not just the beeb

Anyone watch Stobarts on channel 5?

I like Heavy Rock music - but why does it have to be the background music for a documentary ("Infomercial") about truck drivers.

At one point I could not even hear what was been said, - the same can be said about a American programme my partner watches about Cake Making (Seriously!) and some bloke who eats a lot- I think its another American thing forced onto us. really unnecessary IMO
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Crankcase
Whether it's a minority view or not, I too hate music in, to me, the wrong programmes or places. A pet hate is the need, apparently, to play the drums when the radio is telling me about traffic delays. What possible need do I have to hear light percussion permanently when I want to know if the M6 is clear?

The BBC is aware of how annoying some find it and do pay lip service to not doing it, and even from time to time, apologise in various places for doing it on a given programme, but it's certainly different from "the old days". Not to my taste as a rule.

But that's ok, there are plenty of other entertainments apart from television.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - CGNorwich
Unfortunately many peoples hearing deteriorates as they get older and they find it difficult to differentiate speech from background music or noise and are often unaware that the problem lies within their own hearing rather than any change in broadcast programs.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - Mike Hannon
I watched a bit of a programme on the Goodwood Festival the other day. There was intrusive music all through it over the sound of glorious racing engines. How daft is that? I only came across the programme by chance but I had to give up after ten minutes. I'm sorry but intrusive Muzak with everything is for the dunderheads.
 Way Too Much Music on BBC TV Progs - TheManWithNoName
I agree with Crankcase about music played over traffic announcements but the real hate of mine is local radio news bulletins which play some dirgy drummy poppy backgound beat whilst telling us some local woman's been raped or a soldier has died in Afghanistan: It totally demeans the news content and belittles those affected as well as me as a listener.

The BBC's '60 second update' isn't much better.
Are they trying to make news more interesting?
They've dumbed it down for the younger generation.
Latest Forum Posts