Non-motoring > Funeral Music Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 52

Funeral Music - Kevin
Had to chase up to Yorkshire a couple of weeks ago when it looked like dad was about to check-out. Luckily, he came through it and got out of hospital today.

The first night we were there provoked a late wine-fuelled discussion with mum and Mrs K. about what music each of us would like played at our funeral.

Have any of you lot decided what you want played as everyone files in and out?
 Funeral Music - BobbyG
Highland Cathedral
 Funeral Music - Mr. Ecs
In- Show me heaven

Out- Always look on the bright side of life
 Funeral Music - Lygonos
www.snotr.com/video/3768/Look_At_My_Horse

"Look at my horse"
 Funeral Music - VxFan
I want "Another one bites the dust" by Queen at mine.
 Funeral Music - RattleandSmoke
I have thought about this a lot and there could be many many songs I would want playing. However two I would insist on are Joy Division "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and the Smiths "Cemetery Gates". Maybe to top it off I will also insist on "Heaven Knows I am Miserable Now"

And as they all walk out I shall insist that they play "Walk" by Pantera, I think would go down really well with my Bee Gee's and Cliff Richard obsessed family. Although I do love Simon and Garfunkel, so I maybe something like "Sound of Silence" should also be played. Maybe sound of silence could then be followed by Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence"

Edit I just keep thinking of two many songs, I also want the "Killing Moon" by those Scousers Echo and the Bunnymen.

But I also insist that Blitz Bip Bop by the Ramones is also played followed by The Clash "Should I Stay Or Should I go". I basically want my family to be as upset but also be so annoyed at my music choice as much as possible!

OK This is going to be a long funeral!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 04:00
 Funeral Music - smokie
Mother Earth by Magic Slim and Canned Heat. Only Youtube version I could find here www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_tx-zEniA

I love the swing of the song, upbeat while the lyrics are entirely fitting both to the occasion and as a reminder that underneath we are all the same.
 Funeral Music - Zero
>> I have thought about this a lot and there could be many many songs I
>> would want playing. However two I would insist on are Joy Division "Love Will Tear
>> Us Apart" and the Smiths "Cemetery Gates". Maybe to top it off I will also
>> insist on "Heaven Knows I am Miserable Now"
>>
>> And as they all walk out I shall insist that they play "Walk" by Pantera,
>> I think would go down really well with my Bee Gee's and Cliff Richard obsessed
>> family. Although I do love Simon and Garfunkel, so I maybe something like "Sound of
>> Silence" should also be played. Maybe sound of silence could then be followed by Depeche
>> Mode's "Enjoy The Silence"

Well I tell you what Rattle, thats going to be a happy event with all that dour and truly miserable music. I doubt anyone will turn up.
 Funeral Music - CGNorwich
"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"
 Funeral Music - Dutchie
Tom Jones whats new pussycat.;)
 Funeral Music - Zero
This gets played at the start

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFVEvZvo3g&feature=related

The Funeral place has to have a big gravel car park, every one has to turn up in a 70's ford,
and rip it up with handbrake turns.

This gets played at the end.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fspz4PTEpy0

Funeral Music - MD
Brilliant Zeddo.
 Funeral Music - swiss tony
>> This gets played at the end.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fspz4PTEpy0
>>
>>
I have this www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-o61pUG3kU&feature=related
as my mobile ring tone!
 Funeral Music - CGNorwich
Or perhaps "Fire" by Crazy World of Arthur Brown
 Funeral Music - R.P.
Mozart's Requiem. Angus Dei.
 Funeral Music - Manatee
>> Mozart's Requiem. Angus Dei.
>>

The Scotsman of God?
 Funeral Music - R.P.
Typo...too early in the morning ! :-)_
 Funeral Music - Zero
OR maybe

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7dw1HypN4&feature=related

Everyone (specially the girls) have to come dressed as in the series.

If nothing less, to celebrate the number of times I changed rotate tapes on those blinkin golf ball printers
 Funeral Music - Dog
Something by The Grateful Dead would be nice.
 Funeral Music - Runfer D'Hills
Benny Hill theme on kazoos with bkini clad girls trotting at the double as pall bearers.
 Funeral Music - Zero
>> Benny Hill theme on kazoos with bkini clad girls trotting at the double as pall
>> bearers.

classy. It wont happen, your surviving spouse will veto it.
 Funeral Music - Manatee
I won't specify anything - funerals are for the living and if my wife wants to play the Laughing Policeman, she's welcome.

Maybe I Like Bananas by Henry Hall and the BBC Orchestra would be more interesting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-QkMaCS7CU

Damn, you've got me thinking about it now.
 Funeral Music - Mike Hannon
Florida Suite, Frederick Delius.
And someone there to make 'em all sit quietly and listen.
 Funeral Music - Manatee
Good Yorkshire lad, Fred.

It just amazes me what people choose for funerals. Dripping sentimentality is absolutely appropriate for a funeral of course, but why not choose something that's actually musical as well?

U2?????

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5398266.stm
 Funeral Music - madf
My wife has an unpaid job (?) as a funeral steward..
CDs of rock music, etc are common requests...So far nothing has been rejected- or so I am told:-)
 Funeral Music - Stuartli
>> My wife has an unpaid job (?) as a funeral steward.. CDs of rock music, etc are common requests...So far nothing has been rejected- or so I am told:-)>>

The increasing trend is to mourn the departed but also celebrate their life. One of the favourite songs at local crematorium services here is Ferry Across the Mersey by Gerry and the Pacemakers, one of the final requests by those Liverpool fans who have passed away.
 Funeral Music - franfran
At my father's funeral we had Pachelbel's Canon, Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring and, at the end, Amazing Grace.

I have no idea what I would want when my time comes....
 Funeral Music - swiss tony
>> I have no idea what I would want when my time comes....
>>

I don't care what music will be played at mine.

I don't think I'll hear it!
 Funeral Music - bathtub tom
For your sake, I sincerely hope you don't. ;>)
 Funeral Music - Harleyman
The one that made me smile was my late aunt, a bright, breezy and infallibly cheerful little woman who hadn't had the easiest of lives; as we walked out of the crem the strains of Harry Secombe singing "Spread a Little Happiness" seemed such a fitting end to a sad day.

I've always loved the Notting Hillbillies' version of the Charlie Rich song, "Feel Like going Home" but it's perhaps a bit too mawkish. So long as they don't sing "Abide with me" I'm not really fussed.
 Funeral Music - teabelly
My parents were telling me someone they knew had 'Ding Dong the witch is dead' played at hers. She was a school teacher I think.

Don't like the Jam but "Going Underground" might be quite amusing...

Some mambo quite appeals. Make the pall bearers dance to it too.
 Funeral Music - Avant
I'm a church organist and I hope that some of you lot don't snuff it in my patch!

In a church funeral there are actually no sad words - so if at all possible it's best to have music that expresses thanks for a good life (I know that's difficult if that life has ended prematurely). I hope that at mine, people will have a good sing: I'd go for I vow to thee, my country and The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended, with a rousing organ voluntary at the end, maybe Purcell's Rondeau.

Generally, CDs of what's loosely called 'pop music' don't work at funerals as well as people hope they will: the same goes for weddings.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 14:30
 Funeral Music - Dog
This is what my wife would like when she pops her clogs ~

www.youtube.com/watch?v=onVGxenNVsc
 Funeral Music - corax
>> Generally, CDs of what's loosely called 'pop music' don't work at funerals as well as
>> people hope they will: the same goes for weddings.

A whole programme of music including Undertones - Teenage Kicks, Howlin' Wolf - Going down slow and Roy Orbison - Running Scared, were played at John Peels funeral and broadcast outside the cathedral where we were all standing and that worked well. But obviously the man lived for this stuff. It might be different if half the congregation didn't know the music tastes of the deceased.
 Funeral Music - RattleandSmoke
That is the way I see it as well, while my family may be horrified at Pantera or The Cult the all my friends will get it. Heavon Knows I am Miserable now would be so perfect, because it is one of the songs I really enjoy dancing to in clubs.
 Funeral Music - Zero

>> Heavon Knows I
>> am Miserable now would be so perfect, because it is one of the songs I
>> really enjoy dancing to in clubs.

Its an appropriate anthem for you Ratts,
 Funeral Music - corax
>> That is the way I see it as well, while my family may be horrified
>> at Pantera or The Cult the all my friends will get it. Heavon Knows I
>> am Miserable now would be so perfect, because it is one of the songs I
>> really enjoy dancing to in clubs.

Pantera Rattle? Jeez, I went to a Megadeth concert years ago at Hammersmith, and the guest band was Pantera. They had an air of filth about them, like the stage had caught something nasty. When Megadeth came on, with their pure white shirts and mirror finish guitars, it was like walking out of a sewage outlet and into a hospital operating room :)

I must have been deaf for a couple of hours at least when I staggered out of there.
 Funeral Music - corax
When my grandad died last year, I had just discovered Thomas Tallis - Spem in Alium, which I just found beautiful, and appropriate at the time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-_73qnTRo&feature=related
 Funeral Music - Armel Coussine
>> Generally, CDs of what's loosely called 'pop music' don't work at funerals as well as people hope they will: the same goes for weddings.

Probably because the PA speakers and amp aren't up to it Avant. I once spoke at a friend's funeral in Cheshire. His local friends, none of whom I knew, were furious with the vicar for refusing to allow a Duke Ellington record to be played (he had been a jazz enthusiast). But they were very pleased with me for reading a couple of Zen Buddhist texts (against the express wishes of the vicar) since he had also been interested in religion in general and oriental religions in particular.

Thinking about it though, I doubt if the Ellington would have sounded too good in the church unless it was equipped with proper zonking disco kit. Which it probably wasn't.
 Funeral Music - Ted

Being of a fairly morbid nature, I don't want anything jolly.

Two of my favourites.....

I go in to this...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJWwwwi3Nkw A song of farewell.

They leave to this....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPSH0-_EZg A song of a love that must die. From Korngold's opera ' The Dead City '

Fortuately, I've got both these recordings on CD so it'll be easy to sort out. .
Think they may tempt you Armel. It'll impress the neighbours !

I'm looking forward to it already !

Ted
 Funeral Music - Runfer D'Hills
There are certain people I've decided to haunt but as they will almost certainly have no influence over the choice of music at my funeral they'll not get the opportunity to include this....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHFVTQKqdQ
 Funeral Music - devonite
We did this not long ago actually! (hostess an i) and when she saw my list she said:
"it`s your funeral your going to....not a rock concert!! - i`ll let you choose one!!"
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Jul 11 at 02:11
 Funeral Music - Dog
This could well 'do the job' www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGD4mLC04E&feature=fvst
 Funeral Music - Fursty Ferret
The Goodnight Song, by Blue Murder.
 Funeral Music - kb
Avant, as an organist you'll be familiar with this...rousing and raises a smile too. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrsvQFDKgtQ

Sortie in E Flat by Lefebure-Wely
 Funeral Music - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

Just heard this on R4. Maybe a tad dark though.
 Funeral Music - Ted

Pug, I emailed you a few days ago on your profile email address...did you get it ?

Ted
 Funeral Music - R.P.
I'll check now.....

No nothing received, my spam box is empty. I'll ping you from my private address...(HOTMAIL)
 Funeral Music - Ted
Use my regular address Rob

Having a lot of trouble accessing the profile one.

Ted
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 23:18
 Funeral Music - R.P.
Thanks - chopped it from the post in case it gets hi-jacked.
 Funeral Music - Mapmaker
Bach's E flat (St Anne) fugue. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OFGNDsLs7U

Or Langlais's Te Deum. www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAo6_ZWmr18 which would be great for a wedding too.

Funeral Music - Dutchie
First time i've heard of this organ in Haarlem how little I know.
 Funeral Music - helicopter
Standing room only in the crem when one of my old friends went out last year to the strains of Frank Sinatra and 'Thats Life'....chosen by him when he knew he was dying of cancer .

He was determined to have a celebration of his life rather than a mourning of his death and chose the music accordingly.
Latest Forum Posts