Non-motoring > A shower problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 27

A shower problem - Pat
It's having trouble starting (car link)!

When I turn the shower on it starts and stops very fast much like an engine turning over. Water comes out and stops and starts as well but more worryingly, the lights in the whole of the house dim and brighten every time it does this. Eventually it starts to flow but yesterday I gave up on it and had a bath instead. When it's doing this the water feed pipe to the shower unit is 'jumping'.

Is it an air lock in the system or is it electrical?
Or is it terminal as it's only just over 2 years old?

Any help much appreciated:)

Pat
 A shower problem - Iffy
Pat,

A long shot, but you're a very early riser, so it wasn't part-frozen was it?

A shower problem - Pat
No:)

I'm ashamed to say it's been a worsening problem all winter and one we've ignored, as you do, until the weather gets warmer.

I don't know if it's relevent, but we have one of those wierd boliers that I read about on here.
The type that you need a mortgage to pay your water rates bill before any hot water comes out of the tap, and no hot water tank.

Pat
 A shower problem - Zero
Pat, what sort of shower is it? An electric heater power shower? It sounds like it is, and it sounds like it has insuffient flow.
 A shower problem - Pat
Yes it is, but it has worked fine for 18 months until recently.

Pat
 A shower problem - Zero
They work by regulating the flow through them, and cutting the power to the heating element. Yours does not have suffient flow into the shower. The heater is cutting in and out (the flickering lights) and cutting the water output in and out.

Its either insufficient flow of water into the shower unit, or it is scaled up or the shower unit has had it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 00:27
 A shower problem - L'escargot
>> Yes it is but it has worked fine for 18 months until recently.

Internal boiling caused by restricted flow?
 A shower problem - Pat
Thanks for that.

How do I check which one of these is causing the problem?

Pat
 A shower problem - Zero
you need to be adept at disconecting a few pipes and taking things to bits to check.
 A shower problem - Iffy
Pat,

I know very little about plumbing, so can't resist replying to this thread....

You mentioned your boiler earlier.

I think I'm right in saying an electric power shower will draw only mains cold water.

A small point, but it means you can ignore your boiler for the purposes of fixing the shower.

A shower problem - Pat
Well that's a relief IIH.

As for disconnecting pipes, Mr pda doesn't 'do' DIY so it looks like I need a plumber then :)

He calls it knowing his limitations and from past experience I have to agree with him.

Pat
 A shower problem - bathtub tom
It should be simple enough to unscrew the shower head, then run it to see if that stops the problems.

I don't know how hard the water is in the fens, but I would've thought with all that peat it would be quite soft, ruling out scaling.

You could always dunk the head in a pot of vinegar to make sure.
 A shower problem - Zero
Hers comes from Rutland water. No peat there.
 A shower problem - Iffy
A pal of mine used to be a plumber.

He tells me his mates still in the trade are struggling for work, and I read somewhere that a lot of the Poles have gone home for the same reason.

Hopefully this means you might be able to get a plumber reasonably quickly and at a reasonable price.

A shower problem - rtj70
What happens when the shower is run on its cold setting? Do you get a decent flow or not?
 A shower problem - Pat
Thanks BT Ted, we've just had the shower head off and ran the shower. It flows feely, the head is clear and the shower unit still switches on and off. Sounds like it needs a bit of choke to get it to start!
Seriously, it clicks each time as though there is a solenoid of some sort?

Pat
 A shower problem - Pat
rtj, we've just tried that after we read your post and it's fine on cold, but as soon as the setting is altered to med or hot it starts doing it again.

Pat
 A shower problem - rtj70
The fact it flows okay on cold must mean water pressure/supply is okay. Hopefully someone can suggest what to check around the heating mechanism.
 A shower problem - Pat
I can report that with a very early start needed this morning the shower refused to start at all and just continued to give us an impression of strobe lighting throughout the house!
A bath takes so long.............let's hope the in-laws shower is working in Kent for tomorrow morning:)

Pat
 A shower problem - bathtub tom
What's the inside of your kettle look like?

I'm being serious. Could the internal gubbins of the shower be scaled up?
 A shower problem - Zero
you need a plumber.
 A shower problem - Fenlander
I think I might want an electrician too... our lights never dim when the elec shower is on full belt.... sounds dodgy. Suppose the lack of heating is a problem with current supply on the shower feed... is the shower feed a proper separate one or a bodge off the ring main?

Elec showers need respect as they are the nearest you'll get your body to water and mains voltage by choice.
 A shower problem - Old Navy
I'm with Zero and Fenlander, There is something definately not right, (or gone wrong), don't mess with it or use it, it could be fatal. Too few female lorry drivers already! Rent an expert.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 3 Apr 10 at 11:17
 A shower problem - MD
It should have it's own feed back to the Consumer unit. I'm with the others here. PLEASE DON'T USE IT Pat.

Martin
 A shower problem - Pat
Thanks a lot for all the advice.
We're in Kent this morning where thankfully, there is a fully working shower, but I promise not to use it when we get back and will get straight on to having it sorted out.

Pat
 A shower problem - Pat
Well, the electrician came out yesterday and tested everything on the shower.
It's not the water pressure, he says, and his machine kept bleeping all the time.
He reseated two spade connectors that were not connected securely and the shower worked fine:)

That is until this morning when it did exactly the same thing and refused to start again.
To be fair to him he did say this may not cure the problem when I explained that once it gets going you can turn it off and on for a while and it performs ok.

So, the next step is a new shower unit I think!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 9 Apr 10 at 04:53
 A shower problem - MD
Morning Pat. Mira is the way to go. Let me know what you choose and I'll tell you what you should pay, as some folk do try it on.

Regards....Martin
 A shower problem - Pat
Thanks Martin
Latest Forum Posts