Non-motoring > Child-proof pill bottles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 10

Child-proof pill bottles - L'escargot
An elderly relative is starting to get pills dispensed to her in glass bottles fitted with child-proof screwed caps. (I assume that the pharmacy buys the pills in bulk, rather than packaged in 4-weekly amounts by the manufacturer.) Because the relative suffers with arthritis in her hands she has difficulty unscrewing the caps. Is there any easy way of disabling the child-proof feature, or alternatively would the pharmacy (on request) be able to supply the pills in arthritis-friendly bottles? There must be thousands of people with this problem.
 Child-proof pill bottles - Iffy
There's money in prescriptions for pharmacies, so it's the one area in retail where you can still get some service.

Boots do what you seek, even better, they will put the medication into daily dose packs.

They call the service Medisure:

www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Health/Prescription-Services/Medisure/

If Boots is not convenient, worth having a word with the pharmacy, most around my way are keen to help.

Child-proof pill bottles - Stuartli
>>There's money in prescriptions for pharmacies, so it's the one area in retail where you can still get some service. Boots do what you seek, even better, they will put the medication into daily dose packs.>>

Don't ask one friend of mine what he thinks of the service - or lack of it - for making up prescriptions at his local Boots satellite branch....
 Child-proof pill bottles - Clk Sec
>> >>There's money in prescriptions for pharmacies, so it's the one area in retail where you
>> can still get some service. Boots do what you seek, even better, they will put
>> the medication into daily dose packs.>>
>>
>> Don't ask one friend of mine what he thinks of the service - or lack
>> of it - for making up prescriptions at his local Boots satellite branch....

I was thinking of recommending this to an elderly relative. Can you elaborate, Stuartli?
 Child-proof pill bottles - VxFan
>> Is there any easy way of disabling the child-proof feature...

Some suggestions here when you previously asked:-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=2806
 Child-proof pill bottles - L'escargot
My memory is obviously getting worse!
 Child-proof pill bottles - VxFan
You're just having a senior moment.
 Child-proof pill bottles - Slidingpillar
A decent pharmacy ought to be able to supply normal caps if asked. I had problems owing to a lack of strength after a major operation and the hospital gave me a number of screw on caps.

Needless to say, I just wash them after use and re-use as needed.
 Child-proof pill bottles - Ambo
Child proof botles are so complicated that, like computers, only a chld can understand them.
 Child-proof pill bottles - Clk Sec
Not pill bottles, but one of the most difficult that I have found to open is a brand of sugar soap that I use occasionally.
 Child-proof pill bottles - Soft Top
It is against the law for a pharmacist to dispense in bottles without child proof tops unless a disclaimer is signed. That said, any decent pharmacy will be only too happy to arrange this service as it is a very common problem for the elderly and those with weakness after illness. My advice is talk to the pharmacist. Don't be fobbed off by tales of "It's not allowed" or "It's not company policy". In fact, a pharmacy is legally obliged to dispense your prescription, subject to a few other rules, if it is correctly presented.
Latest Forum Posts