Non-motoring > Mystery buildings. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 16

Mystery buildings. - Ted

An interesting query in the Mail today about some strange railway tracks on the questioner's map. These, he said, were circular lines in the countryside to the west of Fenny Compton.
Just west of the M40.

Looking on Google Earth, shows a massive area of buildings and bunkers, with a smaller one to the South West. I assume these buildings are some sort of Ordnance depot and are secret enough not to be shown on a normal OS map. Railway lines and sidings encircle these sites.

tinyurl.com/yj885o6

Google earth seems to give the secret away, though. I expect the Russkies know about it anyway !
Anyone know what the place is ?

Ted
 Mystery buildings. - TJ
Not much help but one of the bus stop icons gives this:-
"Temple Herdewyke, DM Kineton Main Entrance".
 Mystery buildings. - FotheringtonTomas
That's not a munitions depot, it's a sewerage works. Everyone knows *that*!
 Mystery buildings. - crocks
Yes Ted they are Ordnance Depots.

tinyurl.com/ykgjc3w

www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/ServiceCommunity/Hive/Central/KinetonHive.htm

Once I zoomed out and saw Kineton on the map I knew since I was involved in the design of some of the bunkers in the 1970s
Last edited by: crocks on Thu 1 Apr 10 at 17:10
 Mystery buildings. - Zero
Kineton only appeared on google earth within the last 18 months. I was curious about this site a few years back when I saw a diesel loco hauling a train over the M40. There was nothing on google earth then, and the OS map had a fuzzy area called "quary"

I have driven past - It has armed guards on the gate.,
 Mystery buildings. - Iffy
When I was a child there were enormous earthworks done under a field in rural Worcestershire.

It was returned to pasture, leaving little visible trace.

People at the time said it was a giant underground fuel dump for use by the armed forces.

Either that, or it was the biggest septic tank in the world.

I'd post a Google Earth link, but if I did, I'd have to kill you all. :)
...You and who's army? :-)
 Mystery buildings. - Iffy
Me and the army whose fuel you might nick, of course. :)
 Mystery buildings. - smokie
A pal posted this link on another site for another reason (I think). It's Google Street map, but looks upwards...weird eh?

tinyurl.com/ylcxarw
 Mystery buildings. - rtj70
SOmebody was messing about with the Google photos for that area. The one I saw had side-cutters and not pliers. So there's more than one. Funny though.
 Mystery buildings. - Crankcase
Having just stumbled over all this, I'm impressed that Google offer 3D streetview now and I've not noticed before!
 Mystery buildings. - Fursty Ferret
On the M4 near junction 16 there's a big sign saying "Works Traffic Only". No matter how curious you might be, don't follow it. Especially if at the time you don't know that red borders on signs means MoD. And MoD means guns. Lots of guns. Pointed at you.
 Mystery buildings. - Bromptonaut
One area of the site is used to store surplus railway carriages tinyurl.com/y9mgcvc

Yes, but what is inside them?
Or have I been watching too many James Bond films?
 Mystery buildings. - Old Navy
I don't know if it is still so, but 20 odd years ago some of the hangers on disused airfields were full of Green goddess's, WW2 vintage ambulances, trailer fire pumps, trucks, mobile cranes, motor bikes etc. Owned by the Home Office for emergency use I believe. As for other buildings, I could not comment, (for your own safety). :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 3 Apr 10 at 08:42
 Mystery buildings. - Old Navy
Missed the edit:-

All these vehicles were brand new.
 Mystery buildings. - Zero
I understand most were sold or scrapped a couple of years back.
Latest Forum Posts