Non-motoring > mad cows Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 71

mad cows - Zero
This is the funniest picture I have seen in a while

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-13949070
 mad cows - PhilW
Send 'em round here, grass needs a cutting and a good feed!
 mad cows - Runfer D'Hills
"Ann Ingram, who was woken up by the cows mooing, said: "It used to be sheep, and that's bad enough, but cows are a whole different kettle of fish."

OK...

mad cows - R.P.
Ha Ha !
 mad cows - Zero
Talking of Wales, I bumped into PU, his wife and the pet pooch at his new pad.

s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/wales/
 mad cows - Kevin
Love the hat PU.

Really suits you.
 mad cows - R.P.
You couldn't get in there wearing Cuban heels.
 mad cows - Runfer D'Hills
Well really who would PU? So 70s...not even retro-chic dear boy.

:-)
 mad cows - PhilW
Actually, sheep would be much better - they clip off the grass very nicely, cows just rip it off - something to do with eating using teeth and ripping off grass with curled tongues. And of course, sheep fertiliser is somewhat neater than cow fertiliser!
 mad cows - Dutchie
They are not Friesinans well behaved.:)
 mad cows - Zero
Sheep carry ticks, cows carry flies. Take your pick.
 mad cows - Dutchie
I believe there are a lot of sheep in Wales.
 mad cows - rtj70
Flymo?
 mad cows - Dutchie
Any more cow or sheep jokes?:)
 mad cows - Golf_Paul
Dutchie - Are you in the Hull area?

Perhaps email via the Mods? Thanks
 mad cows - Londoner
>> Any more cow or sheep jokes?:)
>>
Most appropriate for our forum.....

A city man was tooling down a country road when his car sputtered to a complete stop near a field filled with cows. The driver, getting out to see what was the matter, noticed one of the cows looking at him. "I believe it's your radiator," said the cow. The man nearly jumped right out of his city slicker britches! He ran to the nearest farmhouse and knocked on the door. "A cow just gave me advice about my car!" he shouted, waving his arms franticly back toward the field. The farmer nonchalantly leaned out beyond the door frame to glance down the field. "The cow with two big black spots on it?" the farmer asked slowly. "Yes! Yes! That's the one!" the excited man replied. "Oh. Well, that's Ethel," the farmer said, turning back to the man. "Don't pay any attention to her. She doesn't know a thing about cars."
 mad cows - Golf_Paul
>> Flymo?
>>

Hoo Flung Dung!
 mad cows - Ted

Better on the lawn than here....strange cow, though
Nothing too graphic.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibr7oC-rJM&NR=1

Oh dear !

Ted
 mad cows - Golf_Paul
That looked like a zebra crossing :-)
 mad cows - AnotherJohnH
>> mad cows

more like resourceful.

food in the wild seems to be short too - our bird feeders are being mobbed by crow and magpie which haven't needed to bother with them before.
 mad cows - MD
I asked my Welsh friend how many sexual partners he'd had. He started counting then fell asleep!

MD
 mad cows - R.P.
As a local said to me when he was confronted with this hackneyed joke, he responds by saying "yep, we hump them and then they break our hearts by running away to England in a big lorry"
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 29 Jun 11 at 08:27
 mad cows - Clk Sec
Interestingly, not a single human spotted in the OP's link. Were they all at work?
 mad cows - Dog
Reminds me of a few years a'back when we lived at Warleggan, woke one morning to see a similar scene to the OP - in our field!

A herd of Heifers had gotten in over night and were destroying my 'cultivated' 2 acres,

I thought long and hard about the situation, Farmer Yeo lived miles away, so, I sent my GSD in to do a 'Rowdy Yates' job on them,

Problem solved - they all legged it whence they came!
 mad cows - Dutchie
Dutchie - Are you in the Hull area?

I've send a Email to the Webmaster (mods).Golf-Paul.
 mad cows - Iffy
There have been several instances of bulls escaping from the cattle market in Darlington, County Durham.

The animal is usually recaptured in an hour or two after it's done some window shopping in Marks and Spencer and Bhs.

But sometimes the escaped bull gets very irritable and bad tempered, and the police have to shoot it.

I think one was on the loose for six hours or more, you wouldn't think you could lose a bull for that long in the centre of a busy market town.

mad cows - Golf_Paul
email address received. Thank you Webmaster.

Dutchie, I will send a detailed email this evening. Thanks.
 mad cows - Duncan
>>
>>
>> Heifers had gotten in

What does 'gotten' mean?
 mad cows - VxFan
>> What does 'gotten' mean?

Past participle of get

oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gotten
 mad cows - R.P.
And although regarded as an Americanism it has its roots in England - in the Fens IIRC
 mad cows - Duncan
>> >> What does 'gotten' mean?
>>
>> Past participle of get
>>
>> oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gotten
>>

It also states that the word is "North American".
 mad cows - Alanovich
It's from Middle English, an example of how, in many cases, American English is a more original form of the English language (which is itself nothing but a mongrel dialect) than the version we speak here, which has been heavily influenced by continental European speech, particularly that of our German monarchy.
 mad cows - Zero
English English is a sponge. It will steal, or make up any word variation as required. That's its beauty.
 mad cows - Alanovich
As do most languages, Zero.

Le weekend, le shopping.

Welsh, of course, also absorbs a lot of English, however they made up their own word for microwave oven. Popty ping. My all time, number one favourite word(s) in the whole wide world. "Popty" istself is a proper Welsh word for an oven, adding the "Ping" is a work of genius.
 mad cows - Zero
>> As do most languages, Zero.
>>
>> Le weekend, le shopping.

Diffrence is - they steal the ones we make up. They never make up new ones.

As for Welsh, its English and the just jumble up the letters.

Example - Ambulance - Ambiwlans

Because they cant bare the though of assimilating English words, less it dilute the language.

Mind I have more sympathy for the Welsh after my visit to Caernarfon castle. It reminded me that the poor sods had Charlie foisted on them as their Prince.
 mad cows - Alanovich
Zero, don't you see that Enlish is an entirely stolen language in the first place? Take Celtic, Latin, Anglo-Saxon, Frisian, Norse.............mix well and leave to stew in Birmingham for 1000 years. Presto! A new language.
 mad cows - Zero
>> Zero, don't you see that Enlish is an entirely stolen language in the first place?
>> Take Celtic, Latin, Anglo-Saxon, Frisian, Norse.............mix well and leave to stew in Birmingham for 1000
>> years. Presto! A new language.

I prefer to think of it as a global consolidation, enforced by military might and oppression.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Jun 11 at 16:34
 mad cows - R.P.
enforced by military might and oppression.

Mainly by the Americans !

I was thinking of this in Greece - It was witnessed often there, second language English speakers choosing it to communicate as it was their one common language.

I believe that Basque is the only language in Europe which has no connection with another...
 mad cows - Zero
>> enforced by military might and oppression.
>>
>> Mainly by the Americans !

No, that's a direct consequence of Firstly Hollywood, then Rock and Roll, and finally the internet.
 mad cows - R.P.
It would probably shock Zero to know that Welsh was, apparently, considered as an Official Language in the USA at one point after the War of Independence - probably down to the fact that 15 of the 17 signatories were of Welsh descent including Thomas Jefferson....allegedly of course.
 mad cows - Zero
>> It would probably shock Zero to know that Welsh was, apparently, considered as an Official
>> Language in the USA at one point after the War of Independence

It was nearly french, but now its mostly spanish.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Jun 11 at 17:54
 mad cows - Alanovich
>> It was nearly french, but now its mostly spanish.
>>

I believe I remember hearing that German once almost became the first official language of the USA. I wonder what implications that near miss would have had for the world come the 20th century.
 mad cows - R.P.
Not a lot really, the US Aristocracy at that stage were mainly WASPs - they would have skinned us just the same as they did in WW2 (or as Churchill said not just skinned us but flayed us to the bone) only they'd have said "Danke" instead of thank you. Contrary to popular myth the Americans didn't help us out for the sake of it. Between 1939 and Dec 1941 they not only took many of our foreign ports (in exchange for 50 worn out destroyers) they took all our foreign exchange and gold in exchange for poorly developed and built sub-standard or obsolete equipment. Even at 1940 prices it cost us 7000,000,000 pounds. In return we lifted them out of an deep recession and on the road to a super-boom. Special relationship my a***.
 mad cows - Alanovich
Money is only money. If it bought us our freedom from Nazi invasion then whatever it cost was worth it.
 mad cows - R.P.
That is a positive way to look at it. The truth is if we and the other Great Powers hadn't flayed Germany after WW1 - Hitler may have just been known as a cowboy painter and decorator to his local trading standards.....lessons of history are not learnt though, the Germans (and the French) have just burdened the Greeks in the same way....let's hope they haven't got a Hitler character waiting in the wings.
 mad cows - Iffy
...the Germans (and the French) have just burdened the Greeks in the same way...

Trying to make a country pay for military aggression which killed millions is a little different from trying to make a country pay its debts.

mad cows - R.P.
The end result is much the same and can lead to war, Turkey are sharpening the knives as we speak.
 mad cows - Iffy
...The end result is much the same and can lead to war...

If the Greeks kick off there will be an awful lot of smashed plates.
 mad cows - Alanovich
When the Euro was first created, I remember expressing an opinion to friends that it would likely end up causing a major military conflict somewhere in Europe, if not across Europe. I was laughed out of the pub.

They're not laughing any more.

Thank heavens we stayed out of the Euro. No thanks to Tony Blair, the worst leader this country has ever had.
 mad cows - R.P.
Joking apart - the Balkans and the southern flank are always ripe for conflict. Glad to see the Greeks are not exactly slashing their defence spending..

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13940431

Picked up on the BBC World Service that Greece and Macedonia are arguing....tempers get frayed in times like these, and Greece is a NATO member that's traditionally not scared of getting stuck in, so we and other NATO countries could get dragged in. (sorry pessimistic mood today).
 mad cows - Iffy
...tempers get frayed in times like these...

Often happens in hot weather, which is not an entirely flippant remark.

mad cows - Alanovich
Correct, PU. Academics have tried, and failed to link it to all sorts, even Native American languages.

I reckon it's a relic from before the ice age, a remnant of an original European population mostly driven out by the ice age.
 mad cows - R.P.
Another example is Cryno Ddisg (Compact Disc) which works with the abbreviation CD as it does in English.
 mad cows - Dog
>>What does 'gotten' mean?

Hehe! - tis corrrnish for got ... ere!! it passed my ieSpell OK :)

>>It also states that the word is "North American". <<

Say n'more!
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 29 Jun 11 at 16:09
 mad cows - VxFan
>> Interestingly, not a single human spotted in the OP's link. Were they all at work?

No, they had all mooved.
 mad cows - Clk Sec
To the udder side of town.
 mad cows - Robin O'Reliant
People are milking this.
 mad cows - R.P.
Cud do better.
 mad cows - swiss tony
Oh come on - people are making a real veal of this thread!
 mad cows - R.P.
Is that your only beef ?
 mad cows - Clk Sec
Couldn't give a moot!
 mad cows - swiss tony
Well PU, they are milking it!
 mad cows - Crankcase
Someone has to.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPTjLl2Af8

mad cows - Duncan
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPTjLl2Af8
>>

Apropos of absolutely nothing at all, I once had a J Carroll Naish with Dennis Thatcher. A well respected rugby referee.
 mad cows - VxFan
>> To the udder side of town.

Further afield than that. Jersey I herd.
 mad cows - Armel Coussine
Time to post this again I think. From Pam Ayres, or someone similar and nearly as good:

In a field near 'Uddersfield
There lived a cow who would not yield.
The reason why she would not yield?
She did not like her udders feeled.
 mad cows - DP
Canoodling with a now ex in the back of the car in a local beauty spot one night a few years back, we felt a bump, and the car moved. After the usual "earth move" gags, it happened again, and shortly afterwards, again. Furious at the interruption, I made myself decent, and wrenched open the car door ready to give whoever it was a piece of my mind, only to be confronted by a about a hundred tons of prime beef wandering aimlessly round the car park. The offending individual animal stood a few yards away, staring vacantly at me.
I bumped into the ex quite recently in the street of my home town, and it was actually the second or third topic of conversation. We can still laugh about it.
Stupid creatures.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 29 Jun 11 at 18:59
 mad cows - Zero

>> I bumped into the ex quite recently in the street of my home town, and
>> it was actually the second or third topic of conversation.

If the first was the weather, then I don't rate your performance!
 mad cows - DP
>> If the first was the weather, then I don't rate your performance!

Just a few pleasantries first. Coming right out with "remember that time we were going at it and those cows turned up" somehow seemed a little inappropriate after all this time. :-)
 mad cows - Zero
even so, if she can only remember the cows....
 mad cows - Dutchie
Must have been a quickie.;)
 mad cows - DP
C'mon guys, it's hard to compete with a random herd of cows interrupting the proceedings for sheer memorability. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts