Non-motoring > Eye test who do you reccomend? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 14

Eye test who do you reccomend? - Bigtee
Left eye a little blurry and difficult to see at times so think it's best to have a proper test who do you reccomend please?

Don't wear glasses and never have & getting odd head aches at the back of my nut so this maybe connected.
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - corax
I use my local Specsavers, as the opticians are very good, but that's not to say they all are. They got my prescription wrong at the Specsavers in the neighbouring town, and they couldn't find what was wrong after going there three times. So I went to my current one who immediately realised that the prescription for each eye was the wrong way round.

Are you finding it harder to see in the distance or close up? Maybe it's age related if you've never had to wear glasses. Reading becomes harder as you get older.
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - Armel Coussine
>> the opticians are very good, but that's not to say they all are.

That's quite right.

Swamp Donkey: since one of your eyes is showing symptoms but not the other, if you need spectacles either for reading or for driving, watching TV, being able to recognise your wife across the street, etc., it is highly likely that the correction for one eye will be different from the correction for the other. So if the optician tries to palm you off with two lenses that are the same (and some are quite capable of it, damn cheek) you should question them closely and if they just talk rubbish, go somewhere else.
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - Zero

>> your wife across the street, etc., it is highly likely that the correction for one
>> eye will be different from the correction for the other. So if the optician tries
>> to palm you off with two lenses that are the same (and some are quite
>> capable of it, damn cheek) you should question them closely and if they just talk
>> rubbish, go somewhere else.

Clearly a nice gold rimmed monacle is called for.
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - Armel Coussine
>> Clearly a nice gold rimmed monacle is called for.

My father had a gold-rimmed monocle - his eyes, like mine, were differently focused - but I can't remember him ever wearing it in real life. I suspect it may have been a youthful extravagance in the twenties or thirties. I think I've still got the frame but the lens is long gone. They are quite uncomfortable to wear and you can end up looking like someone lopsidedly half-astonished or half-disapproving.

All that sort of thing - spats as well - became unfashionable in the austere post-war world. But as Zero suggests, a monocle is a useful prop when one is subjecting the obnoxious or dishonest (whether optician or anyone else) to a cold, searching, bowel-loosening up-and-down stare, before saying 'Faugh!' or 'Tchah!' and turning sharply on one's heel.
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - helicopter
>> Clearly a nice gold rimmed monocle is called for.

Did you hear about the two monocles that got together and made a spectacle of themselves.......

Coat please......
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - Clk Sec
>> Did you hear about the two monocles that got together and made a spectacle of
>> themselves.......

Not recently.
:)

It's unlikely to be your main concern at this stage, but Specsavers do have an extremely comprehensive range of frames to chose from.
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - henry k
>>I use my local Specsavers, as the opticians are very good, but that's not to say they all are.
>>
It depends on the franchise as to how modern the kit is.
I have been to several and the computersised lens swopping is impressive.

As I have said before - people are STUPID if they do not get their eyes tested regularly., No excuses oldies cos you do NOT have to buy specs.
It is the only non intrusive examination of blood vessels and of course the examination can detect other conditions.
I've used boots and Specsavers and prefer the latter. Back of the nut headaches might or might not be due to raised blood pressure.

I'm no medic, though.

Edit: Specsavers have 20% off Monday to Friday for those over 60.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 17:06
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - Bigtee
Age is 40 so not that old yet!

Thanks yes thought of the blood pressure it's ok now and has been for a few weeks but does come on.

Will get eye test and take it from there.

Vision express what they like?
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - Zero
You want to make sure its not macular degeneration, or a cataract.

Boots for me.
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - WillDeBeest
Pardon me for saying so, SD, but it's an odd question - a bit like asking us to recommend a dentist. You need someone who is professionally competent, of course, but also someone you get on with at a human level. You should be seeing one every couple of years, and you'll want to feel his/her advice is based on a personal understanding. Ask your friends, neighbours and colleagues who they use, and be prepared to try two or three if you don't feel happy with the first one.

And if you're anywhere near Leamington Spa, try Charnleys in the Parade. I looked forward to my appointments there, and I'm seriously considering sticking with them even though it's now 80 miles from home; it's only every two years after all!

Eye test who do you reccomend? - Old Navy
I agree with WDeB, You need someone you are comfortable with. I use specsavers for my specs, they were excellent when I scrached an eye. When I phoned my doctors surgury they said "See an optician, they have all the kit to inspect the damage".
 Eye test who do you reccomend? - Ted

Beat me to it there Zedric....Possible onset cataract...amd I should know !
I would opt for a well established private opthalmologist if you can.

Also, If you are in striking distance of a NHS eye hospital, just turn up at their A&E and tell them your visions gone blurry in one eye. They'll perform a fundoscapy examination of the eye and tell you what's wrong....they won't turn you away.

I did that when my right eye got worse, even though I was under the hospital's care....they couldn't have been more helpful.

If you have a cataract, don't hesitate to have the op. It doesn't hurt and it's very quick.
You might not need to have specs afterwards. Just under 4 weeks to mine...can't wait !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts