Non-motoring > HUGE STORM Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 66

HUGE STORM - Zero
Huge Thunderstorm here. Massive bolts of lightening, instantaneous thunder.

dog is scared witless!
 HUGE STORM - Old Navy
You should move to sunny Scotland, clear blue skies, no wind, and a comfortable 22C.
 HUGE STORM - Zero
must be your one day of good weather this year then
 HUGE STORM - Iffy
...must be your one day of good weather this year then...

Weather-wise, I'd far rather live in Scotland than the South East - couldn't stand the heat, the humidity and the smut.

HUGE STORM - spamcan61
Big 'ol band of thunder and lightning over the IoW spreading NE by the looks of it:-

www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm
 HUGE STORM - RattleandSmoke
Just cloudy here, with the odd little break in the sky.

We don't get summers any more.
 HUGE STORM - Alanovich
Just cloudy on the Berkcestershestershire/Oxfordshire border. Think we'll miss out on this one. Which is a shame, there's crap from trees all over the cars. Yesterday's showers deposited a film of Saharan sand which could also do with being washed off.
 HUGE STORM - Bromptonaut
Darkening rapidly in central London but doubt much will come of it.

Definite split of weather in southern England this morning. Northampton at 07:40 was under cloud but quite cool with a slight fresh breeze.

London, an hour later, was still & almost as sticky as yesterday.

Boundary possibly round the Chilterns. Ivinhoe Beacon and the escarpment by Aston/Halton were almost in the clouds - very murky indeed.
 HUGE STORM - captain chaos
Cracking the flags here in Blackpool. Off to get an ice cream :)
 HUGE STORM - Bromptonaut
Comment on another forum

www.cyclechat.net/topic/86774-what-to-do-in-a-thunderstorm/
 HUGE STORM - Bobbin Threadbare
Same here in Preston! Just washed and waxed my car. Looks a peach, all sparkling in the sun.
 HUGE STORM - Alanovich
>> Boundary possibly round the Chilterns.

Happen you're right. I can see the Chilterns through my office window, and the sky changes from black to white at that exact point.

Looks like we will get some here, the sky's inky black and it's just started to spit.....
 HUGE STORM - spamcan61
The rainfall radar currently shows two narrow bands of rain, heading across the country in a NE direction, one from the IoW to Grimsby and the other heading towards Lyme Regis. ousode those bands it's pretty clear:-

www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

HUGE STORM - Bromptonaut
>> The rainfall radar currently shows two narrow bands of rain, heading across the country in
>> a NE direction, one from the IoW to Grimsby and the other heading towards Lyme
>> Regis. ousode those bands it's pretty clear:-
>>
>> www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Zeedo's gaff in Surrey is right under the Iow to grimsby one which presumably also accounts for the odd drops we're getting in London.
 HUGE STORM - rtj70
It was very dark when I came out of one canada square at Canary wharf at just after 2pm. And training as we pulled out of Euston at 14:40. Never heard a storm though.
 HUGE STORM - Focusless
>> Just cloudy on the Berkcestershestershire/Oxfordshire border. Think we'll miss out on this one.

Got a good downpour with sound effects on the east side of Reading. Dog not keen.
 HUGE STORM - MD
Our fluffy clouds are currently being blown FROM the North.
 HUGE STORM - spamcan61
>> Our fluffy clouds are currently being blown FROM the North.
>>

That's odd! I've just run the 'video' on the rainfall radar again and the rain is definately heading NE.
 HUGE STORM - idle_chatterer
I saw these reports and it made me wonder how they compare to 'normal' weather here in HK.

We're on an Amber rain warning at the moment, so life continues without any undue concern

www.hko.gov.hk/wservice/warning/rainstor.htm

That's a potential for 30mm in an hour - something the UK Met Office seems to consider a severe weather event....

One weird thing is that you can get designer wellies which seem popular with style conscious ladies - designer wellies and mini-skirts, kinda weird but I'm sure some people like the look.

Then there's the Typhoon warning system, we were at T3 last week so life continued without any disruption. I wonder how many UK schools / train services would feel the need to close with winds gusting to 70mph ?

www.weather.gov.hk/informtc/tcMain.htm

We get some fabulous thunderstorms too and it's been over 30DegC every day for over a month now - not a heatwave, just normality, haven't read about dogs dying in cars although some particularly malicious individual puts poisoned meat down for them on popular dog walking paths I'm told.
 HUGE STORM - Cliff Pope
>> and the smut.
>>
>>
>>

No smut please, we are dour humourless calvinists.
 HUGE STORM - Crankcase

>> No smut please, we are dour humourless calvinists.

Dear God, I must get a pair of tee shirts with that on for Mrs C and me.

Not that I wear anything with short sleeves of course.
 HUGE STORM - Hard Cheese

>> You should move to sunny Scotland, clear blue skies, no wind, and a comfortable 22C.
>>

Pah, I was up there yesterday, 14 deg and raining, I had the tennis on the hire car radio (along with the heater) and it was 34 deg and blazing in Wimbledon.

HUGE STORM - henry k
>> Huge Thunderstorm here. Massive bolts of lightening, instantaneous thunder.
>>
Well I am just a few miles away towards Wimbledon and just a few spots of rain over the last hours.
Could certainly hear the rumbles over Zeroland.
 HUGE STORM - Crankcase
Thanks for this one - I finally after 49 years bothered to look up exactly what causes thunder, why it rumbles and why it varies in volume. And now I know. I shall sleep easy on the floor tonight.
 HUGE STORM - L'escargot
Here's a few facts about lightning ................ www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00030.htm
 HUGE STORM - spamcan61
..and here's how to create it in your garage:-

www.electricstuff.co.uk/marxthree.html
 HUGE STORM - Bromptonaut
Lightning, crashes of thunder and torrents of rain in WC2 now.
The sun has come out now, it really is lovely out there, I would say its about 20-22c so very comfortable.
 HUGE STORM - helicopter
Donner und Blitzen im West Sussex......

I love a good thunderstorm.............
 HUGE STORM - Old Navy
>> Donner und Blitzen im West Sussex......
>>
>> I love a good thunderstorm.............
>>

I hope you don't mean anywhere near a twirly top contraption you are driving. :-)
 HUGE STORM - R.P.
Sunny and warm in Wales - nicer than Rhodes in reality.
 HUGE STORM - Zero
>> Sunny and warm in Wales - nicer than Rhodes in reality.

It was 5c and cloud base down to 150 feet when I shipped out on Saturday.
 HUGE STORM - R.P.
Funny 28 degrees in Dyserth (near Rhyl) on Sunday apparently !

HUGE STORM - Zero
Yeah the weather was funny all Week, but we could always keep dry and sunny by flipping to north or south of the peninsula. Friday was the only washout, and the journey back Saturday over the hills and mountains via Bala was in visibility less than 20 yards.

Spent a sunny day with the car parked on Black Rock Sands, and a nice sunny day at Port Merion. We even managed fish and chips in the sun on the pier at Lladudno.
 HUGE STORM - Bromptonaut
>> Yeah the weather was funny all Week, but we could always keep dry and sunny
>> by flipping to north or south of the peninsula.

Is that normal for the Lleyn I wonder?

Was there in July 09 while Miss B and her beau were sailing in Mirror Nationals at Pwhell and had much the same experience. Just in the sun on the campsite at Llanystumdwy but Abersoch or Nefyn were glorious. Weather round the bay and in Snowdonia was rotten all week.
 HUGE STORM - R.P.
Not unusual - I think it's to do with the Eifl mountains - they will have an effect on the local climate on the Llyn - it's a hugely benign climate can be very mild towards the west as the Gulf Stream influences Aberdaron and Bardsey....I was feeling some "hiraeth" for the area when on holiday - may blast down there at the weekend....an incredibly pretty place when the weather's good.
 HUGE STORM - Runfer D'Hills
>>nicer than Rhodes in reality.

Hire any wheels in Rhodes PU? Last time I was there ( 12 years or so ago ) I rented a 200cc Honda trailie bike thing. Good fun off road and so on. Lots of tracks and dried up riverbeds etc to play on.
 HUGE STORM - rtj70
In case I decide to hire something on Rhodes the next week I am taking my full licence. No plans.

Fingers crossed the Greek air traffic controllers are not going to change their agreed strike times tomorrow!

I feel I missed out on the great storm near/over London now as I was there in a meeting! Not fair.

Thread drift.... so how expensive is decent accommodation if you can see it from 1 Canada Square, bearing in mind it's the second tallest building in the country. I didn't even quite get to half way. And we're not listed as clients there it seems ;-)
 HUGE STORM - Zero
>> Thread drift.... so how expensive is decent accommodation if you can see it from 1
>> Canada Square, bearing in mind it's the second tallest building in the country. I didn't
>> even quite get to half way. And we're not listed as clients there it seems
>> ;-)

Closer is dearer, and direction matters. Dearer - much - to the south, cheaper to the north. Two bed apartment close to the southern aspect, 800k plus.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 20:00
 HUGE STORM - rtj70
Someone I met claimed to be 15 minutes away. I assume towards the outer reaches of London. I bet he's paid much more than me. Not that I care. Maybe a bit blase since being mortgage free?
 HUGE STORM - Zero
15 minutes away gets you to stratford on the DLR. Thats North, and pre olympic park, 180k got you a two/three bed terrace house.
 HUGE STORM - rtj70
Ta Z. He's probably being paid more than me. Not sure a lot of the people I met earned it though.

So house worth less than mine then. Nice to know. Curious about those who work down sarf.
 HUGE STORM - Zero
London is very area sensitive. 15 minutes the other way and his place would be three of yours.

There is very big money to be earned in the banks IT in london.
 HUGE STORM - rtj70
>> 15 minutes the other way and his place would be three of yours.

True, and his job wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage no doubt.

If I need to contract I already know where to go ;-)
 HUGE STORM - R.P.
We didn't bother Humph - hotel was a 15 min. bus-ride away from Rhodes town. So roughed it.
 HUGE STORM - Dog
Pugley, why has your post appeared nowhere near the poster you replied to?
 HUGE STORM - Zero
view it in threaded mode and it will all be revealed.
 HUGE STORM - Dog
Ah ha! - Amazing, I never use that mode, thanks.
 HUGE STORM - Runfer D'Hills
Bus? As in with "people" on it? Wow...blimey. Fair enough.
 HUGE STORM - R.P.
Bus? As in with "people" on it? Wow...blimey. Fair enough.

Yep -unwashed, drunk, smelly and downright weird....so were some of the other passengers as well.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 21:14
 HUGE STORM - henry k
>> Donner und Blitzen im West Sussex......
>>
>> I love a good thunderstorm.............
>>

Yeh but!!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-13947288
Passengers faced disruption after lightning struck the control tower at Gatwick Airport.

HUGE STORM - helicopter
Thats what it was like.....clears the air

I am not a million miles away from said control tower.....

Helicopters and bad weather do not mix - see what happens when you have unpredictable weather....

www.pprune.org/rotorheads/453581-helicopter-down-redhill.html
 HUGE STORM - bathtub tom
>> Lightning, crashes of thunder and torrents of rain in WC2 now.

Good grief. What's it like in your other loo?

;>)
 HUGE STORM - henry k
>> Well I am just a few miles away towards Wimbledon and just a few spots
>> of rain over the last hours.
>> Could certainly hear the rumbles over Zeroland.
>>
As yet little rain that has not even wetted the area under my trees but massive bolts of lightening, almost instantaneous thunder which seems to be about overhead Wimbledon.
 HUGE STORM - Dutchie
Raining here in Yorkshire.A lot colder today relaxing watching wimbledon.Deutse girl is winning.
A shame I am stuck at home removing viruses. But at a whim as soon as the sun is shining in Wales and I have no jobs I am off again. Those mountains are addictive.

In reality probably won't get there till late July/August now. It depends when my cousins are free.

Still at least the pleasant breeze makes it really nice to work in today, and from my window I can see lots of trees so its not all bad.

HUGE STORM - Dutchie
Removing viruses? Hope you are safe.
 HUGE STORM - Meldrew
This is a storm!

www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/04-5-28-1430sm.jpg

checkout www.extremeinstability.com for other really frightening piccies!
 HUGE STORM - Old Navy
>> Removing viruses? Hope you are safe.
>>

Rattle will be OK, he pulls them out with insulated pliers. :-)
 HUGE STORM - Meldrew
Tennis is OK but I have to turn off the sound as I can't cope with the awful grunting/screaming and the inane commentary, particularly some american lady. she sounds worse Neil Oliver
 HUGE STORM - Dutchie
Snap its getting on my nerves now.
 HUGE STORM - Armel Coussine
It's rained a bit in my part of W Sussex - say 15 miles from Helicopter's bit and about 20 perhaps from Zeddo's corner of Surrey - and it's been dark and threatening most of the day. But although we have heard thunder from Helicoland and Zeddoland, there hasn't been any right here. Now it's getting lighter but I am not expecting a low sun to come smiling through. Not today.
 HUGE STORM - R.P.
Helicoland

I'm sure I have that on my valve radio tuning dial...
 HUGE STORM - henry k
>> Helicoland
>>
>> I'm sure I have that on my valve radio tuning dial...
>>
I thought it was Heligoland Bight from the shipping forcast.
 HUGE STORM - Meldrew
Flight disruption at Gatwick after the control tower was struck by lightning.
 HUGE STORM - DP
We had this storm too. One of the most intense and long lasting I've seen in ages.

Now a comfortable 17 degrees, as opposed to the sticky 28 we had this time yesterday.
 HUGE STORM - Dutchie
AC is your language cryptic maybe a secret message?:)
Latest Forum Posts