Non-motoring > Travel tips. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 18

Travel tips. - Old Navy
As we are well into the holiday season it must be time to share some come in handy info.

Instead of several adapters for the chargers that are required for phones, cameras, music devices, and female hair fixing kit etc. In Europe I use a UK 4 way short extension lead with a European plug. If I am travelling to the USA or Australia I use one with a UK plug and adapter.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 12:53
 Travel tips. - CGNorwich
Isn't that bulkier and heavier than 4 travel adapters?
 Travel tips. - Old Navy
Not really, I find it less hassle to be able to use my UK plugged kit as normal.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 13:36
 Travel tips. - henry k
If you have chargers with figure of eight plugs then leave them at home and get one of these.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-pin-Euro-plug-figure-eight-mains-power-cable-2m-/190545579364?pt=UK_TravelTickets_Accessories_RL&hash=item2c5d66cd64

Similar leads are available for other major countries.
I have them for USA, Aus and South Africa.
( South Africa use UK 15A plugs )

Some light reading on the world plugs, volts etc et

users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#plugs

international-electrical-supplies.com/plug-adapters.html

www.interpower.com/icl/guide.htm

Travel tips. - Old Navy
I cheated henry, I have a couple of fo8 leads for Europe and one for Australia. :-)
 Travel tips. - rtj70
My last two camera chargers all came with European and UK figure of 8 leads. So I take one of them. But also some adapters which take up little room for mobile phone, hairdryer, hair straighteners etc.
 Travel tips. - WillDeBeest
'Universal' plug adaptors don't work in South Africa (or in Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland...). Even where they do, they can be heavy enough to fall out of a two-pin socket. Unless you're on a world tour (and then only one that doesn't pass through Southern Africa) you're betteroff with specific adaptors and/or cables for the country you're visiting.

If you're flying, you'll know about packing the essentials in your hand luggage. But there'll be things you want in flight, and you won't want to keep bobbing up to rummage in your bag; nor will you want to lose track of your iPod, headphones, pen, glasses, book etc. Travel shops sell zip-up boxes, about 25x20x8cm, that they call 'packing cubes'; I find one of them (mine is by Victorinox) ideal for all those in-flight oddments, yet small enough for the cabin crew not to mind me holding it on my lap for takeoff.
 Travel tips. - FocalPoint
"...small enough for the cabin crew not to mind me holding it on my lap..."

Like a little handbag, you mean?
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 16:45
 Travel tips. - Alanovich
It's called a "manbag", FP.

;-)
 Travel tips. - Runfer D'Hills
I use a small cabin baggage sized rucksack for trips of fewer than 4 days. No luggage to check in. Doubles as a briefcase. Leaves your hands free to deal with boarding cards / passports etc. and a darn sight easier to navigate down the cabin of a plane when it's on your back than carrying a bag. Little pockets on the outside for important stuff. I never bother to carry the little plastic bag of liquids. Just buy a deodorant / shampoo etc when you land and bin them when you're coming home.
 Travel tips. - WillDeBeest
Nice try, FP, but it's not a bag because it has no handle to let you carry it separately, and the lid is made of mesh to let you see the contents. It slips inside my unwheeled carry-on bag (as does my laptop sleeve) so I have only one bag to manage through the airport and on to the plane.
 Travel tips. - FocalPoint
>"It's called a "manbag", FP.

Oooh, I want one of those!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 17:11
 Travel tips. - henry k
>>Universal' plug adaptors don't work in South Africa (or in Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland...).
>>
Some packs do not include SA adaptors.
IIRC Botswana has 15A and !3A sockets
I have a totally transparent 13A plug from there.
>>
>> Even where they do, they can be heavy enough to fall out of a two-pin socket.
SA has 15A /16A three pin sockets.
www.ryness.co.uk/products/8876-uk-to-south-africa-adaptor.aspx
Locally in SA You can pick up cheap extension leads. FYI they often have several 15A outlets and several euro 2pin outlets all on the same block.
Some SA offerings
www.chinapowercords.com/south-africa-power-cord.html
>>
There are some neat SA available locally for about 50p. They have slimmer shells with transparent bases and snap open rather tha use a screw to secure the lid.
>>
>>Unless you're on a world tour (and then only one that doesn't pass through Southern Africa) you're better off with specific adaptors and/or cables for the country you're visiting.
>>
See my earlier links for the vast variety required and IF you can find he right one.
e.g I have an Italian two pin plug that has a slider on it to move the pins cos there are at least two diffent continental type sockets.
 Travel tips. - Iffy
Take plenty of money.

Travel tips. - CGNorwich
Take as few clothes and possessions as possible and as much money as possible. Anything you forgot or find need you can always buy unless you are travelling to the upper reaches of the Amazon. 15kg of luggage is enough for anyone for a fortnight.
 Travel tips. - Iffy
For UK hotels, take an extension lead.

It's not so bad these days, but at one time there were very few 13amp sockets in rooms, particularly cheaper ones.

Recently, I've been in a couple of rooms in which the free socket is mounted just above a desk, which means some chargers can't be plugged in because there's not enough clearance under the socket, so the lead still comes in handy.

Travel tips. - Zero
Travel light, not like a blinking Robert Dyas lorry!
 Travel tips. - Crankcase
>> Travel light, not like a blinking Robert Dyas lorry!

And how, pray, will you plug in this travel light of which you speak?
 Travel tips. - Zero
Leave it at home.
Latest Forum Posts