Non-motoring > Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 34

Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3kFCgvKp4&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?

She is in bad weather.
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Skoda
Surprising they don't just snap in half. Was wondering earlier today, would i feel comfortable depending on welding i'd done in something critical. Definitely not i think is the answer!
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Zero
>> Surprising they don't just snap in half.

It happens. Not often, but it happens.
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Old Navy
That is neither unusual or extreme.
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - DP
That is my idea of hell.
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - lancara
There goes my recommendation for Brittany Ferries to Spain!
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Dog
Bah! - I've swum in worse than that, have you got anything wilder to show us?

:-D
>> Bah! - I've swum in worse than that, have you got anything wilder to show
>> us?
>>
>> :-D

Try this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO_xLED4Fa0

for water in your beer

or this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=deX7R9RbmX0&feature=related

or this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDTbopUYg20&feature=related

Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Fursty Ferret
Meh. Been across the Bay of Biscay in a Force 11. Managed to jam a chair in a comfortable corner of the bar, propped my feet against a pillar, and made serious inroads to their Macallan collection.

IIRC they had some difficulty stopping it sloshing out of a traditional whiskey tumbler so they started using cognac glasses instead; which could be half-filled (hic) before the amber stuff escaped the glass.
Nice one AF, I was amazed at how many passengers screamed when a pilot applied power just before landing to go around as the runway was fouled by the aircraft in front being a bit slow in clearing it.

:-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 10:15
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Fursty Ferret
>> Nice one AF, I was amazed at how many passengers screamed when a pilot applied
>> power just before landing to go around as the runway was fouled by the aircraft
>> in front being a bit slow in clearing it.
>>
>> :-)
>>

Nothing compared to the screams from the cockpit...
>> Nothing compared to the screams from the cockpit...
>>

How did you know it was a female captain? :-)

Only joking but it was.
The trouble with the average cruise ship passenger is that they usually have no experience of bad weather at sea. They tend to panic in relatively mild conditions, try to move around, and don't realise that things, (and people) will fly around, and get themselves hurt.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 10:11
>>Try this for water in your beer<<

Now that does scare me! reminds me of the Zeebrugge :(

TBH, I'd probably die of an art attack, if I was on a ship and water started coming below deck,

Do they do cruise submarines I wonder :}

>> Do they do cruise submarines I wonder :}
>>
>>
They have families days, (or did in my day), My OH has been a few hundred feet down in a submarine.
>>They have families days, (or did in my day),<<

I think it would give me 'the twitch' O/N, but then saying that - I didn't 'fly' til I was 37, and quite enjoy it,

(apart from the check in!)
I have been down in HMS Oberon (SO9), in about 1969 I think. It was when I did a week before the mast on TS Foudroyant.
Passenger. :-)
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - four wheels good...
Trawlermen out in the North Sea, North Atlantic, etc used to impress me. Tiny boats often working in terrible conditions.
www.kustvaartforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3438&start=60

Sorry Dog this is a decent size ship think of a coaster of about 600 tonns in this weather.:)
>>Sorry Dog this is a decent size ship think of a coaster of about 600 tonns in this weather.:)<<

Some nice olde pics Dutchie, I've often thought about living on an half decent sized boat, as it happens,

What's the worse storm you've experienced Dutchie, on the Richter scale, (Beaufort)
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - corax
>> They have families days, (or did in my day), My OH has been a few
>> hundred feet down in a submarine.

Did she like it, or was she gibbering nonsense and trying to open the hatch?
>> Did she like it, or was she gibbering nonsense and trying to open the hatch?
>>
>>

She said it was boring, no windows. :-)

Sis in law had a visit in harbour, did not like it at all, even when anaesthetised with booze. That was in a big Polaris boat, (floating hotel).
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - Armel Coussine
>> neither unusual or extreme.

I thought that. No green water abaft the forecastle at all.

First time I went to sea, 1947, aged nearly eight, in that very place, in some weather (but wouldn't know if it was as bad as that or worse). There were some oil tankers passing, heavily laden, low in the water. Quite small by modern standards, smaller than the ship I was on which I think was about 15,000 tons (passenger ship adapted to carry more people, with extra bunks stuffed in some cabins, the lower decks full of troops). The oil tankers would disappear completely under water except for the forecastle and bridge structure at the other end, then heave slowly back up with hundreds of tons of solid green water pouring off the main deck. I was extremely impressed by the scale and violence of it all, before succumbing fairly quickly to seasickness.
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - lancara
Probably a viral marketing campaign for Eurotunnel
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7KmVWjZ4o&feature=related

I have experienced this weather in the North Sea on a small coaster the Phoenix.A bit similair what the Hull Trawlers used to run into to.Force I cant remember we just concentrated keeping the bow into the seas big worry is cargo shifting and water entering the cargo.This is a big tanker very sluggish the captain is turning into the weather.My cousing has a nice little sailing yacht in Delfzijl he is 71 now.Like to go sometimes with him across to scandinavia.Time, always short of time .;)
Sorry Bulk Carrier.
I know nothing about a life at sea but - I'd rather be on a bulk carrier, in a bad storm than a Hull trawler in the same conditions.
Depends Dog the sidewinders sailing from Hull where tremendous sea ships.

The reason some of them sank was due to ice on board.If there are any Hull trawlermen on here they will tell you.Also a good schipper helps and knowing the ship.My old man good read the sea he used to laugh at me when I got sea sick.;) The only time he got nervous was in dense fog at sea..All in the past now still seems like yesterday do.
I take my 'hat off' to trawlermen, a terribly, terribly harsh job (at times), but I know they luv their way of life,
and wouldn't have it any other way.
 Force ten in the Bay of Biscaye - spamcan61
nah, I'd stick with the trawler, less likely to snap in half.

I never knew my paternal grandfather, but he was a deep sea fisherman working out of Lowestoft then Grimsby to an area from Iceland to Russia. Now that was a tough way to earn a living.
Having sailed in the vicinity of trawlers in rough weather I really admire them. Trying to work and stay on your feet on a frigate was bad enough, but those guys were working heavy gear on their decks often with green water over them on their tiny ships.

I was happy to have a bit more of a ship under me but they were small enough to be very uncomfortable at times.

Chasing the likes of ON with Towed Array gear at 4 knots was often not pleasant. Inexperienced Officers of the Watch would call down to the Machinery Control Room asking why the stabilisers weren't working.............Not at this speed sir!
>> Chasing the likes of ON with Towed Array gear
>>

You could try. :-)
Deleted, sorry
Last edited by: four wheels good... on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 17:03
Kept us feeling useful ON!
Latest Forum Posts