Non-motoring > Spitfire too noisey. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 19

Spitfire too noisey. - Bigtee
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008014/Plane-stupid-Female-Spitfire-pilot-continue-fly-iconic-aircraft-community-overturned-noise-complaint.html

A wonderfull women this one Caroline Grace her late husband bought this and restored it to be killed in a car crash, she learnt to fly it after his death and some moaning numpty says it's too loud!!

Try a day at Flying Legends in july then you can hear more than one merlin noise the sound is amazing.

Spitfire too noisey. - Old Navy
If the complainant lived under the Heathrow flightpath when Concord was in regular service they would not be bothered by an occaisional Spitfire passing.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 19:13
 Spitfire too noisey. - Iffy
Reminds me of the guy from Cumbria who has a Merlin engine which he runs as a static display.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprfH5ZsAHk
 Spitfire too noisey. - Armel Coussine
I was just thinking, the drone of Merlins in the sky, sometimes lots of them, and similar throbbing WW2 unsilenced piston aero engines, were a fairly frequent background noise of my early childhood. They were usually 'ours' so one thought of the noise as reassuring, unlike the howl of air raid sirens which got everyone jumpy.

So a nice Spitfire zooming about for a while would sound good to me, like the crowing of cockerels in the morning and the hooting of owls at night. Pompous selfish killjoys should be ignored or even told sharply to shut up.

1946 or so I went to look at the then-new jet fighters at an airfield outside Bath, chubby single-engined things with the tail on twin booms, can't remember what they were called. Of course they then looked incredibly modern. One ran its engine up near us. Now that really was a painfully deafening sound to me age 7 or so.
 Spitfire too noisey. - Bigtee
Was that the vampire?
 Spitfire too noisey. - Meldrew
Aircraft noise = The sound of Freedom and don't let the whinging gits forget it!
The RAF Lancaster, Hurricane, and Spitfire flew within earshot of my house today, six Merlins at once, a far better sound than the occaisional helicopter in transit to St Andrews, or passenger jet heading to/from Edinburgh. If the wind is in the right direction I can even just hear the racing motorbikes at Knockhill. Ambulances with sirens heading for the nearby A&E. Complain? No chance.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 19:47
 Spitfire too noisey. - Londoner
There a quite a few Battle of Britain books in my collection, and I always browse them again at this time of year.
I love Spitfires and Hurricanes, and the sound of the Merlin engine is as beautiful as any music that I know.
(I don't care how corny that sounds, either.)

For those who feel the same here's some of my favourite clips:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3UtmHLKUU
Spitfire under bridge

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nlGN6aS8g
Pure Merlin Engine Sounds Without Music

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tLGQajXkY4&playnext=1&list=PLA1F735384B3E8DB0
spitfires at goodwood

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1CVTo4QZU
Avro Lancaster takeoff from Waddington 2009
 Spitfire too noisey. - Dog
>>For those who feel the same here's some of my favourite clips<<

Wonderful stuff ~ Thanks!
 Spitfire too noisey. - Zero
>> Was that the vampire?

Sounds like it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Vampire

The venom and sea fury would have been later than AC's timescale.
Yes, Vampire. Better to remember the device than its name I guess, although both would be better. Despite its piercing noise, very different of course from that of any piston engine, the thing was only capable of nudging Mach 1 in a steep dive, much like a Spitfire, Hurricane or Me 109 or, cough, a Zero... But I guess it could cruise faster with greater economy than any piston plane.

Five years later, in the early to middle fifties, those twin-engined fighters - there was a bomber that looked just like a bigger version, stubby squared-off wings, that makes two more names I can't remember but would recognize instantly - made an even more Armageddon-like noise at Yelverton on Dartmoor or somewhere nearby. Of course since then one has become blase.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 20:19
The twin engined one was the De Havilland Sea Vixen.

>> like a Spitfire, Hurricane or Me 109 or, cough, a Zero... But I guess it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuoVlQOO4xc

Listen to that super uneven beat of the Sakae twin row 14-cylinder radial engine coughing and spluttering because it wants its throttles opened,
That sounds better than your Mitsubishi, Zero. :-)
Aye, it does that.
 Spitfire too noisey. - Bromptonaut
I suspect this story has been blown out of proportion but having seen Caroline Grace display her Spit - a very unusual 2 seater - many times I think the complainant needs to get real!!
 Spitfire too noisy. - Meldrew
Quote from an informed source = East Anglian news paper:-

A spokesman for Suffolk Costal District Council confirmed they had received one verbal complaint about the flying of the Spitfire but said the individual concerned never formally followed up the inquiry in writing.

>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuoVlQOO4xc
>>
>> Listen to that super uneven beat of the Sakae twin row 14-cylinder radial engine coughing
>> and spluttering because it wants its throttles opened,
>>

I think it would be nice to pull up alongside a chav whose sound system is shaking the road surface and fire up one of those. I am sure the engine would fit on the back of a decent sized pickup truck.
>> Listen to that super uneven beat of the Sakae twin row 14-cylinder radial engine coughing
>> and spluttering because it wants its throttles opened,
>>

For a superb example of aero piston engines coughing and burping into life, watch the first couple of minutes of the (really quite good) film of Joseph Heller's Catch-22, just before dawn on a Sicilian airfield as the Americans fire up their Liberators or whatever. It's the pre-title sequence, very memorable (to me).
 Spitfire too noisey. - Slidingpillar
And if you want to hear an aero-engine given beans in a car, the Napier Bentley with its Napier Lion aero engine can be seen and heard at most VSCC race meetings. The sound on a closed throttle as it slows down for a bend is best likened to a small scale war breaking out.

The owner and driver of this "interesting" contraption, Chris Williams thought it a bit small at 24 litres so built 'Mavis', a 42 litre Packard engined Bentley. Judging by the flames this spits, the sound is also war-like.

Both should be at the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power.
Latest Forum Posts