Non-motoring > Just a word of encouragement... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 51

Just a word of encouragement... - Runfer D'Hills
Right well. As of tonight I'm 6 weeks in to stopping smoking and it's easy !

Just pausing for a moment to let that sink in. Yup, it's easy ! No trouble at all this time.

35 years I've smoked, most of that time on Marlboro reds. ( Strong ones ) Tried to give up unsuccessfully on numerous occasions. Cold turkey, patches, chewing gum you name it. Failed on the lot of them.

Anyway, I've been lucky, because I've always kept myself otherwise fit and active I've never really felt any ill effects from the stogies. Still have really strong cardio vascular readings according to the quacks and no nasties on any X-rays or what have you so far.

But, I really wanted to stop this time. Couple of failed attempts in the past twelve months had set me back but 6 weeks ago I had to go to the States on a business trip and decided it was a good opportunity to try again. Longish flight and several formal meetings where smoking wouldn't be possible.

Bought some more of the Nicorette inhalator cartriges. They're refills for a wee plastic imitation ciggy. they give you a shot of menthol and nicotine when you suck on them. Allegedly you can use up to 12 cartridges a day but I've only been changing them twice a day.

Well, now I barely even need that substitute although I haven't quite thrown it away yet. Won't be long though, I'm not relying on it anymore.

Been out for drinks, no problem. Been under a bit of work stress, no problem. Been on holiday, no problem. I can't really believe it but this wee gadget totally works for me. It looks ridiculous but I don't care.

For anyone who really despairs of ever being able to quit I can't recommend it highly enough. Oh, and after 6 weeks I'm already £300 up...

Disappointingly though I'm already becoming a bit of an anti-smoking bore. Sorry about that. I'll try to resist getting all wafty handed...

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 21:11
 Just a word of encouragement... - Zero
Well done Humph, welcome to the club.

Let me disavow you of one slight thought.

It's got sod all to do with any device, chemical or trick.

There is only one way to give up and stay given up, and that is a real desire to want to do it, and not some half hearted lip service.

If you fail now I shall give you such a hard time!
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 21:26
>> If you fail now I shall give you such a hard time!

No chance of that. I don't smoke...

Just a word of encouragement... - Robin O'Reliant
That reminds me, time to light one up...
 Just a word of encouragement... - swiss tony
>> That reminds me, time to light one up...
>>
..... Yes it will start getting dark later.
Fair enough RR. No criticism from me, I enjoyed every single one.

It was just the right time for me. Enjoy it...

( waft waft )

:-))
 Just a word of encouragement... - Robin O'Reliant
Good luck to you Humph.

I am too weak willed.

No, I thought that. It just had to be the right time. If it's not right for you now, don't even try. One day you might want to though and all I hoped to do was just say that wee gadget seems to work for me when nothing else did.

£300 quid already !

Just a word of encouragement... - Dutchie
Congratulations very hard and difficult to do,nicotine is a powerfull drug.Keep it up as the saying goes.;)
 Just a word of encouragement... - Skoda
Next cig costs you £15k.

Something that helped me a year down the line was some notes i wrote about what it's like having a cigarette, as predicted i duly forgot what smoking was like and had only fond memories. Quick read of my notes soon brought the memories back and put that firmly to rest.
Thanks Dutchie, but this is the weird thing. This time it's easy. I really don't miss the cigs at all. Anyone who is or indeed has been a smoker will know how unusual that is. I can stand next to someone who is smoking and not want one. I'm not offended by their smoke either. It'd be more than a little hypocritical if I was wouldn't it? But...I'm not even tempted. It's great !

Let's see now £50 quid a week...That's £2600 quid a year...

Just a word of encouragement... - CGNorwich
That's £2600 quid a year...

You have to earn £4000 before tax!
 Just a word of encouragement... - RattleandSmoke
I think its more like £6-£7k now, and the government are aiming for £10k. A 10k tax rate would take a few people of tax credits, so makes perfect sense.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 22:38
 Just a word of encouragement... - rtj70
Rattle the reference to tax was the cigarettes cost £2600pa so you'd need to earn £4000 before tax is deducted to cover that. Not talking about tax allowances then.
 Just a word of encouragement... - RattleandSmoke
I realised that after I read it, saw the post without the thread, so my reply was completely out of context.
 Just a word of encouragement... - MD
My dear Dad smoked for ever but just gave it up one day and that was the end of it. Marvellous really for I thought it impossible.

As an aside, my Mother smoked (apparently) whilst carrying my sister and not whilst I was on board. Sister smoked like a chimney and I abhorred it. Make of that what you will.

Cheers...............Martin.
 Just a word of encouragement... - Dutchie
Thats another holiday a year Humph.;)

After my dad died quite a few years ago now.I visited my mother a couple of times a year in the homeland.She was a heavy smoker and I always ended up smoking again drank Genever with her and ended up carrying her to bed.Came home had to stop again which wasn't easy.

Still have some good memories having a drink and a smoke with her.
 Just a word of encouragement... - Dog
>>No chance of that. I don't smoke...<<

And doesn't that sound nice! ... say it again, and again etc.

Just a word of encouragement... - bathtub tom
I gave it up about ten years ago and up until very recently I found second-hand smoke quite pleasant. I wonder why I don't now?

I refuse to criticise smokers because the tax they're paying must be saving me quite a sum.
 Just a word of encouragement... - PhilW
Well done Humph - must have tried to give up my little cigars for about 20 years but I really like them - nout like a little cigar after a meal, with a cup of coffee etc. Surely that little pleasure can't kill me?
Incidentally, my sister, now aged about 60, gives me eternal thanks - tried to force her to smoke a ciggy when she was about 10, it made her sick and she has never touched one since - wish it had had the same effect on me.
Think I might have a quick drag before bed..............
 Just a word of encouragement... - Ted

Give it a week, Humpers. You'll have your nosed pressed against the tobacconist's window !

I smoked ciggies 'til about 1972. I smoked L&M short filters.....poseur !
I moved to a different office and couldn't get them locally so I just stopped. I've smoked a pipe since about '66 and still enjoy a pipeful of Holger-Dansk Black and Bourbon.

Also smoked cigars for many years, Cafe Creme were my favoured smoke. My bike mate also smoked them but we both went cold turkey after our last run abroad and found out how much they were back here...double the price.
Still fancy one like mad sometimes but at about 40p each.....no !

A lady friend does cherry and vanilla roll-ups so I might have one when I'm at her place but haven't had a proper fag for years. SWM smokes Stink Cuts...wish she could give up !

I have an aorta to be proud of ...even after all those years smoking !

Ted
 Just a word of encouragement... - neiltoo
Great!
Congratulations!
I stopped a twenty a day habit in October 1971, four months after our wedding, and bought our first new car out of the savings. When we stopped B+H were thirty pence a pack.
Wife has relapsed a couple of times in stressful periods for her, but has been clean for 25 years.
No-one has ever smoked in our house, or either car.

I've worked for 25 years with a smoker, but he and his wife have now been smoke free for a year, and the office is now so much better.

But be warned, even if you hate the smell, like an alcoholic, you're always a smoker. Just the one can turn you back.

Good Luck.
Thanks Neil ( and all the others of course )

I am actually really relaxed about it this time. I will not be smoking again I'm confident of that. I've been in too many scenarios already where it would have been easy to be tempted and I've not even slightly wanted to.

I think I've finally made the mental leap from "I'd like to give up and I'll give it my best shot" to "I don't smoke anymore"

Strange really but there it is I'm pleased to say.

I freely admit I loved smoking, every single one of them but I just don't do that anymore and genuinely don't miss it for some reason. I haven't become a rabid anti-smoker or anything and I'm still happy to be in the company of smokers. They have their own choices to make as I've made mine.

Really happy about it actually. Don't need luck, job done as far as I'm concerned.

( £307 Now ! )
 Just a word of encouragement... - Iffy
I'm not a great one for buzzwords, but it does seem as if you've had your 'lightbulb moment'.

The frustrating thing about those is you can't make them happen, they just do.

But the good thing is when you do have a lightbulb moment, it tends to be very powerful, almost irresistible.

Just a word of encouragement... - captain chaos
Well done Humph! Likewise to others who have managed to kick the habit.
Packed in myself beginning of feb this year after many years, like you I find I don't miss it. I had tablets prescibed by the doc and they did the job, no withdrawal symptoms at all.
I've not turned into a rabid anti-smoker, it's a free world after all and I used to enjoy sitting in a beer garden on a nice sunny day with a cold pint and a fag.
Your little inhaler gadget reminds me of a former work colleague who used one to give up. He was driving home from work one day after a long shift, took a drag and absent mindedly chucked it out the window!
 Just a word of encouragement... - henry k
>>Really happy about it actually. Don't need luck, job done as far as I'm concerned.
>>:-)
>>( £307 Now ! )

Well done to all and the the ££££s are just one of the rewards.
Do you ex smokers notice an enhanced ( or fully returned) sense of taste and smell ?
I have always understood that this may be a slight downside as it is an incentive to eat more so just watch your weight.

Our household has always been smoker free and my offspring are non smokers.
My brother ( a smoker) died early from lung cancer which meant he had no retirement but it is always in my mind what he worked so hard for and nowt at the end.

p.s I also smile at two non smoking neighbour's arrangements where smokers are booted out it the rain and snow to have a drag.
Yes, I do notice an enhanced sense of taste and smell Henry. Fortunately, I've never been one for sweets, chocolates, biscuits or between meals snacking so hopefully it won't affect the waistline too much. Of course I have to keep all of this in the context of it only being 6 weeks !

I fairly much never get ill. Not so much as a cold in years. You watch, I'll keel over now !

Just a word of encouragement... - Old Navy
>> Disappointingly though I'm already becoming a bit of an anti-smoking bore.>>
>> :-)
>>

Don't worry that wears off too, it just takes longer. :-)

Glad you have given up the chimney impressions, the main milestone is one year off the fags and substitutes.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Jun 11 at 12:05
>>I have an aorta to be proud of ...even after all those years smoking !<<

Interesting, are you saying (what I've always thought) that an aortic aneurysm is chiefly caused by long term smoking?

I've known 3 folkies with sed condition, 2 snuffed it (burst) one died of bone cancer after stent op :(

>> >>I have an aorta to be proud of ...even after all those years smoking !<<
>>
>> Interesting, are you saying (what I've always thought) that an aortic aneurysm is chiefly caused
>> by long term smoking?
>>
I recently suffered a stroke, Dog. My blood pressure was through the roof and I was told this was due to hardening of the arteries. My family has a history of heart problems, my mum has had a couple of strokes.
I'm quite sure fags haven't helped in my case.
>>I recently suffered a stroke, Dog<<

Yes, I know cc - sorry to hear that ... my dad had a massive stroke at 54 when I was 9 :(

My neighb when we lived up on Bodmin Moor had a stroke while dancing, he was in quite a bad way at the time but managed to make a very good recovery - after a time.

All my family are on meds for HBP of one sort or another, I might visit a doc when I'm 60 next Sept. (if I'm still here!)
My brother in law came to visit me and was amazed when I told him I never had regular medical check ups (he's from the U.S.)
I said "I haven't been to the doctors for years because I'm never ill."
I'm "only" 51 so I thought(wrongly) I was in good health. BIL asked if I'd had my prostate checked and I haven't. "You must get it done" he said.
Can't say I'm looking forward to it :)
>>Can't say I'm looking forward to it :)<<

I had 'the finger' when I was in my 30's, cc - part of a BUPA medical, it was optional though, I said "go for it" :-D

I have a 'funny' outlook on life really, dad died at 54, wifes mum died at 45 - I ain't making longterm plans.

Live for today - if tomorrow comes, it'll be a bonus!
They're doing a prog about strokes on radio cornwall right now - listen live

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_cornwall

>> Live for today - if tomorrow comes, it'll be a bonus!
>>
Couldn't agree more, Dog.
cc
>>Couldn't agree more, Dog<<

Would I be correct in thinking that your stroke was caused by a blocked blood vessel, rather than a bleed, captain?
Yes, Dog
I had a cardio vascular aneurism causing a rh infarct
I think a bleed has far more serious consequences (though I could be wrong)
I got off very lightly indeed, still off work but doc says I'm ok to drive.
Recovered really well after scaring poor wife and family (and myself)
Kids took me out for a meal on fathers day, I asked them to give packing fags in serious consideration.
Thing is, at that age they think they're invincible
>>I got off very lightly indeed, still off work but doc says I'm ok to drive<<

The good thing to come out of this, captain, is that you're under their care now Re: BP/Cholesterol etc., that often happens in life, but prevention is better than cure, so, what we need is a 'well man clinic', like the well woman clinics,

But then we need a lot of things in this country/world :(
 Just a word of encouragement... - Armel Coussine
Naturally I'm glad you are all still alive and kicking.

But I have to say you chaps don't make for a cheery Thursday morning read for someone of nearly 73, on two blood pressure pills and a statin (but all in moderate doses, and working fine if the quacks are to be believed), with a heart pacemaker (also working fine and with a battery likely to last 'a lot longer' than the 7 years I was originally promised before a replacement, which I dread) and a variety of long-standing terrible habits.

Day before yesterday the Royal College of Psychiatry put out a report suggesting that everyone over 65 should be screened for substance abuse and anyway shouldn't drink more than HALF A BLEEDING PINT of beer or equivalent a day.

Bruddy herr! as the Pythons said when they were pretending to be Japanese. Sounds like living hell to me.

Sorry AC
Screening for substance abuse, eh? Oh, heck!
Apparently de herb stays in the bloodstream for three weeks.
Good job I packed the ciggies in then. It's not the same sprinkled on yer cornflakes ;)
>>But I have to say you chaps don't make for a cheery Thursday morning read<<

Hehe! - I was thinking that as well Sire, what with that and the radio prog from a stroke unit!!

I'm orf out for a walk with my dawg before it rains (again!)
 Just a word of encouragement... - Clk Sec
>> All my family are on meds for HBP of one sort or another, I might
>> visit a doc when I'm 60 next Sept. (if I'm still here!)

With a family history of HBP, Dog, I wouldn't leave it that long. If you don't fancy seeing your doctor, buy a BP monitor. They're as cheap as chips nowadays.
>>everyone over 65 should be screened for substance abuse and anyway shouldn't drink more than HALF A BLEEDING PINT of beer or equivalent a day.

Well, no-one is likely to take a blind bit of notice of that, are they? Half a pint just isn't worth bothering about. You might as well give it up altogether.

It's at least two pints of decent ale (not maiden's water) for me, followed by something in a smaller glass. But then, AC is knocking on a bit.
Too late to edit grammatical error...
 Just a word of encouragement... - Iffy
...Too late to edit grammatical error...

It's never too late to edit a grammatical error.

Just a word of encouragement... - Armel Coussine
>> grammatical error...

I didn't notice one. So if there is one, it doesn't need correcting.
>>With a family history of HBP, Dog, I wouldn't leave it that long<<

Thanks C/S - my friend Maureen has a good BP monitor (Omron), trouble is though that we are 'soul mates' and she's guaranteed to raise my BP (at the very least!)
Well, it's either that or white coat syndrome...
>>Well, it's either that or white coat syndrome...<<

Knickers to that!

:-D
 Just a word of encouragement... - Bobbin Threadbare
My Grandad smoked Golden Virginia in rollies until he died. He had asbestosis though so the doc said the fags wouldn't make any difference and if he enjoyed them, to keep smoking. He used the little tins to keep screws, washers, nuts etc in. Stacks of them in the shed.
My f-i-l smokes, he's 86 :}
 Just a word of encouragement... - Alanovich
All my grandparents smoked, none of them got anywhere near 86. First one went at 45 with a heart attack, the rest weren't long after.

I did have the good fortune to know some of my great grandparents though, some of whom made their 90s. Bizarrely, none of them ever smoked.
Latest Forum Posts