Non-motoring > Irons Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 12

Irons - Robin O'Reliant
I know many of you are quite domesticated given the wealth of knowledge that always comes forth when the subject of white goods comes up, so can any of you put down your feather dusters and take off your pinnies for a moment and tell me if ceramic sole plates on steam irons are non-stick?

A wrong move here could have serious consequences as I have been charged with buying a replacement for the one that packed up and I have been warned about scouring ebay for a cheap bargain and ending up with a pile of crap (which is exactly where I am looking - have you seen the prices in Currys?).

Help greatfully appreciated.
 Irons - Stuartli
A guide:

www.argos.co.uk/static/BuyingGuide/bgTrail/irons_00196.htm (all ceramic sole plates seem to be non-stick).

One example of such an iron:

www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=056266&language=en-GB

If you are near an Argos, have a look through:

tinyurl.com/6ht2nxk
 Irons - Roger.
Definitely not the subject I was expecting!
 Irons - WillDeBeest
What are you going to be ironing that's likely to stick? Or would we rather not know?

In my experience the most useful attribute an iron can have is mass: a heavy iron will be more effective than a light one. Rowenta seems to be the brand to beat; I'll buy another one if this one doesn't recover the next time I drop it.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 16:14
 Irons - Robin O'Reliant
>> What are you going to be ironing that's likely to stick? Or would we rather
>> not know?
>>
I have no knowledge of these matters, Mrs RR takes charge of such things and a chap has no business knowing the sordid details of domestic housekeeping.
 Irons - Clk Sec
I do a little towards the ironing, as my first Wednesday morning job is to erect the ironing board and fill the iron with water, and place both in front of the bedroom telly.

She's got me for a mug!
 Irons - Hard Cheese

Philips seem to do the business something like this, less than half price:

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4102069/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/2%7C14418476%7CIrons%7C14418661.htm

This is a 4413 and we have a 4412.

Irons - Robin O'Reliant
Thanks for your helpful replies, I got her a Russell Hobbs from Amazon for £15.92, reduced from around £35.

That's her birthday taken care of, perhaps a frying pan for Christmas?
 Irons - Runfer D'Hills
Damn decent of you RR. I don't expect she begins to realise how much trouble you have gone to.
 Irons - Stuartli
>>In my experience the most useful attribute an iron can have is mass: a heavy iron will be more effective than a light one.>>

Ironically (pun intended) my late wife thought exactly the opposite. I'm still using the iron she declared was the best she'd ever had and you can pick it up with one finger. Said she could iron for far longer through not having to use a heavier iron.

I do my ironing in batches to make life easier, but never more than two at a time...:-)

Irons - Runfer D'Hills
When I first started work it was a three line whip to be suited and booted. I lived alone and couldn't afford to sub-contract my ironing. So I developed the habit of only ironing the front panels of my shirts and the collar tips. This was fine provided I kept my suit jacket on so I didn't really see a problem.

My wife won't let me iron. It embarrasses her if I offer she says.

Good lass.
 Irons - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> In my experience the most useful attribute an iron can have is mass: a heavy
>> iron will be more effective than a light one.
>>

There are limits though. I have an antique iron in my collection and it takes two hands to lift it. The brawny housemaid who once used it must have had impressive muscles.
 Irons - Alanovich
I only buy non-iron formal shirts now, and my casual t-shirts just get folded up out of the dryer and need no ironing. The iron is a rarely sighted beast chez moi. Apart from when the mother-in-law is in town, she insists on ironing everything for us. Old skool.
Latest Forum Posts