Non-motoring > Studying in the Netherlands. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 13

Studying in the Netherlands. - Dutchie
Listening to our local radio station this morning British students can study in the university of Groningen and Maastricht for 1500 pounds a year.They also recieve 240 euro's a month towards living cost.They are accepted if they only speak English.No language problems.Just a thought for anybody who is interested also mature students are welcome A levels are needed.In Holland only 20%of the population attends Uni.
 Studying in the Netherlands. - Alanovich
I heard that article too. The spokesperson from Groningen said that any EU citizen can apply to the Dutch government to have their tuition paid, and that they will get the funding so long as they apply. She also said that the Dutch taxpayer was gernerally unaware of this...

Dashed good wheeze for a British 18 year old, I'd say.
Till the Dutch taxpayer wakes up.;)
 Studying in the Netherlands. - Cockle
In Holland only
>> 20%of the population attends Uni.
>>

A bit like how it was here 40 years ago, then. The people aspiring to be doctors,lawyers,scientists, etc, went to Uni the next level down went to College to get trade qualifications of whatever description or were even given block release by their employers to get the appropriate qualifications. The result; everyone was educated as needed to fulfil their chosen role.

Out of interest what types of further education do they have? Would imagine they have the equivalent to our old Tech Colleges.

Must admit that we seem to have suffered in this country from a belief that if you haven't got a degree then you aren't allowed through the front door any longer.

They talk about grade inflation with respect to GCSE's etc. but we also have what, is to my mind, the silly situation where many people who have been working for years in jobs wouldn't now be qualified to even get an interview these days. I, for example, was employed as an apprentice on the back of reasonable O levels, the requirement now for a similar apprenticeship is A levels at a good grade; anything less and the form goes in the bin. My sister in law has been dealing with major retailers as a senior account manager for a multi national manufacturer for over ten years now. She was recently told by her CEO that she is one of the best they have had in the role, she left school with O levels and CSE's. Her company have recently advertised for someone to work under her, minimum qualification required is a degree; ten years on she couldn't even apply to be her own assistant..........
Hello Cockle.Very sensible letter.I went to Tech.School in Rotterdam and all the big companies shipyards like Verolme where pleading for us to join and further education was available with the company.I drifted into shipping.From 6 to 12 Lagere school.(Basic education)From 12 there used to be the MULO .Middle extended lower education.HBS.(Higher Burgher School.)Like A levels for going to Uni.Technical School and Higher technical School for Engineers.The names have changed for the different schools.Mulo HBS I believe are now Havo and Mavo.

As far as I know they still have Tech Colleges I have a word with my brother.
 Studying in the Netherlands. - Bobbin Threadbare
My youngest sibling is at A-Level stage. Looking at going to Leiden for uni as it's got too expensive here. I count myself lucky to have just missed all of this top-up fee mess, followed by the giant fee hike.
Nice city not far from Rotterdam.Johannes Vemeer girl with the earring and Jan Steen.

Famous painters I have been to Leiden a few times on my trusted Puch Moped as a sixteen year old.
 Studying in the Netherlands. - Bobbin Threadbare
The home of Heike Kamerlingh Onnes, the first man to liquefy helium.
 Studying in the Netherlands. - CGNorwich
I shall remember that!
 Studying in the Netherlands. - RattleandSmoke
I have thought about it myself and looked into in some depth, but at the moment I can't find anything I want to study, but when I do decide what I want to with my life, if I need more university education I shall be heading to the Netherlands :).

Studying in the Netherlands. - Runfer D'Hills
Take your Panda. It'll be cool there...

:-)

( kidding Rats )
The car would need to be paid off before I can even consider it, if I got rid of it now I would loose around £2k in equality. In about 18 months I could sell it for the value of my loan quite easily.

But I would keep the Panda anyway, but make sure its paid for.
My dads job was the same, when he applied for the job in the early 70's you just needed a two years diploma (it was HE but not a degree, it was the same as an HND) , now in 2011 you still need the same diploma but you can only do it as a masters, so you need a bachelors degree to get it.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 22:26
Your welcome in the Netherlands Rattles.I will teach you basic Dutch starting with the swear words first of course.;)Godverdomme.!
Latest Forum Posts