Non-motoring > Is it not only supposed to be a game? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 9

Is it not only supposed to be a game? - BobbyG
tinyurl.com/6dnd29v

(link to The Scottish Sun)

As a Scot, and a Celtic supporter, I get very deeply embarrassed about where this game is heading.
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - Ian (Cape Town)
some alternates from history:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

On the opposing side, Jacobite beliefs were demonstrated in an alternative verse used during the same period:

God bless the prince, I pray,
God bless the prince, I pray,
Charlie I mean;
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,
Both George and his Feckie,
Ever so, Amen.
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - Iffy
The story illustrates the problems of knee-jerk legislation.

The Dangerous Dogs Act was introduced in a similar way and had to be extensively redrawn.

It's most unlike me to advocate extra work for civil servants, but Bills really do need to be thought through thoroughly before enactment.

Is it not only supposed to be a game? - Runfer D'Hills
A few weeks ago I had the privelege of attending a baseball match between the New York Yankees and and The Boston Red Sox at the new Yankee stadium in the Bronx.

To get there and back from central New York we took an everning train from Grand Central and a midnight train back. There were fans of both teams on the train but no unrest at all. Yankees fans sat with Red Sox fans and only excited anticipation was evident. No violence, no swearing.

At the game, similarly, fans were intermingled. We sat next to a husband and wife, he with his Yankees T-shirt on and she with her Red Sox jacket.

Points scored were cheered by supporters and clapped by opposing supporters. No one booed or jeered or swore at any time I heard. Songs were sung but were not offensive.

Beer was available freely ( albeit at $11.00 a bottle ) but no-one was obviously drunk.

It was a great night out and despite going home on a late Friday night train from the Bronx it felt totally safe. People had their children with them for a family night out.

What's wrong with our society that it can't be like that?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 11:24
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - Alanovich
It is, Humph. At Rugby matches.

There's plenty of violence elsewhere in American society for those interested in it.
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - spamcan61
A bit of sport related trouble in Vancouver the other day as well:-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13802221
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - PhilW
"It is, Humph. At Rugby matches."
True A. I'm a member at Leics Tigers. Fans from both Tigers and opposition mingle happily on the standing terrace and in the seated areas. There is often a lot of friendly banter between fans but I can't remember any unpleasantness even in terms of language in 18 years (and I used to take my kids when they were very young). One of the pleasures is having a pint afterwards with opposition fans.
Of course, what is missing from rugby is the sectarianism of certain areas of Scottish/NI Football which adds another dimension to supporting your team - you expect your team to right the "wrongs" of hundreds of years of perceived injustice.
Also seems to be coming to the fore in the discussion over a "GB" football team to play in the Olympics next year. Some of the arguments against it, by Scottish guys, on Radio 5 this morning were so extreme that you would have thought the suggestion was a combined Scotland, Iraq, Afghan and Pakistan and England team selected by the Pope and Ayatollah Khomeini (in the afterlife!). And yet, not being au fait with the latest footballers, I was thinking what a great idea it would have been in the '60s with the like of a core of England's World Cup winners and the like of Georgy Best, Sammy MacIlroy, Denis Law, Jimmy Baxter, Bobby Murdoch, Billy Bremner, Gemmell (not Archie, the Celtic one who scored that fantastic goal to win European Cup in '67(?)) and Jimmy Johnstone and probably loads of others (Welsh?) who I cannot recall at the moment fighting for places in the team. But what a team! What an opportunity to play at the Olympics, why let bigotry deprive youngsters (Olympic Football is U23) the chance of a place on the world stage?
Yep, it's only a game - for some. For others it's a political/religious/nationalistic issue.
Sorry, long post.
Phil
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - PhilW
And I forgot Bobby Collins and Lennox!
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - Lygonos
What's wrong with our society that it can't be like that?

That's what happens when everyone could be 'packing heat' ?
 Is it not only supposed to be a game? - Runfer D'Hills
Only my personal theory of course and as such entirely liable to be flawed but I see a huge difference in the attitudes of New Yorkers in particular post 9/11.

One of the strangest side effects of the tragedy has been a cultural shift from one of aggresive arrogance to a more caring laid back and inclusive sort of place.

Like I say, only my personal impression and experience to call upon in making these comments.

Most likely nonsense.
Latest Forum Posts