Non-motoring > A United Kingdom Football Team. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 13

A United Kingdom Football Team. - Dutchie
It has been suggested to have a United Kingdom football team in the next olympics.

We are one nation does make sense to me.
 A United Kingdom Football Team. - Stuartli
It would probably still be virtually 100 per cent English players...:-)
Thats thinking outside the box :) Och.
 A United Kingdom Football Team. - Roger.
Are there ANY real English players in any English club?
 A United Kingdom Football Team. - Hard Cheese

They used to say that it would be Ryan Giggs and 11 Englishmen, reckon that little has changed, it would now be Gareth Bale (Welsh like Giggs) and 11 Englishmen ...

Not many Roger I dont go to any games have a look once in a while on the telly.

A United Kingdom Football Team. - Manatee
The problem would be that the nations would still want their own teams as well - and why not?

I think a Yorkshire team would be good (well no good probably, but you know what I mean).
 A United Kingdom Football Team. - BobbyG
Well someone from the British Olympic Team has released a statement today saying that there will be a GB tean and all the 4 nations' Football Associations are right behind it.

Scotland and Welsh FA have came out to say they are absolutely not and that stance has not changed.

So someone is telling porkies big style.

I am sure it is not connected in any way but I believe the football tickets go on sale this Friday.....

The facts are that the IOC only recognises GB and not England, Wales, Scotland and NI therefore there needs to be a GB team if GB players are to compete in the Olympics. Although football, like tennis, is not a core Olympic sport it would be a shame for there not to be a GB team when the Olympics are held in GB.

However the Welsh, Scottish and NI football associations have the heads in the sand because they see it as nail in the coffin in respect of their independance. Much better for all four FAs to get together with the BOA and do the country of Great Britain justice though the way it is going it will be an England XI representing GB, well if they were picked on form it would probably only be one Welshman and ten Englishmen anyway ... ... perhaps that is what the Welsh, Scottish and NI football associations are really worried about ;-) .

--

By the way it has nothing to do with foreign players playing at English premiership clubs.
Listed to the Scottish FA Chief Exec today on the radio

It would appear that the big fear from these countries is that FIFA will take away their independence. FIFA have apparently given them a letter saying that this will not be the case but the fear seems to be that a) noone trusts anything FIFA do and b) just because one FIFA committee says yes it doesn't mean another would say no.

What he also said though was they would not step in the way of any Scot who wants to play - can't think of any who would be good enough to beat an English equivalent to a place in the team!

Then spoke to the former footballer Pat Nevin who said football is not important in Olympics, we have our Euros and World Cups and who can remember any good Olympic football games? Got a point there.
 A United Kingdom Football Team. - PhilW
Oops, only just seen this - some thoughts in this thread
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=6833
 A United Kingdom Football Team. - Robin O'Reliant
There is a great deal of resentment among the rest of the world that we are allowed four separate representative teams in international football, and indeed four votes at governing level.

I can understand their point of view as we are the only nation in the world that enters regional sides in international competitions rather than a national team.
The other thing to remember, is whether we like it or not, there is a huge dislike of the English FA in the FIFA corridors of power. Not just the recent issue of standing up to Blatter but a general underlying dislike.

Other Football Associations do not want to be sucked into being seen as their allies and putting themselves in the firing line as well.

>> The other thing to remember, is whether we like it or not, there is a
>> huge dislike of the English FA in the FIFA corridors of power. ........
>>
>> Other Football Associations do not want to be sucked into being seen as their allies
>> and putting themselves in the firing line as well.
>>

Yes the FA is seen as a threat though there is a lot of support for the FA within UEFA.

Latest Forum Posts