Non-motoring > For Rattle...Help please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 12

For Rattle...Help please - Pat
You remember curing the problem on my laptop last year after the Training Day?

It's been fine but sure enough I can't send emails on the dongle again.

I'm getting this message ( same as before)

>>An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 cannot connect to server', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67<<

I can receive emails but have to forward an email with PDF attachment to someone and the same old problem is back.

I seem to remember you uninstalled AVG and put on MSE to cure the problem, so I disable MSE but it still wont send.

Pat
 For Rattle...Help please - Iffy
You could probably set up a new hotmail or Googlemail account.

Won't cure the problem longterm, but will enable you to get emails away for the time being.

For Rattle...Help please - Manatee
Can you use tiscali mail via webmail instead of your mail program, assuming you know your password?

i.e. from here?

www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/?do=logout
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 09:01
 For Rattle...Help please - BobbyG
I had that problem with my blueyonder account when I used a dongle and was using Outlook for email. Could receive but not send.

As per Manatee's suggestion, it worked fine when I tried it from their webmail.
I've just changed the settings from smtp.tiscali.co.uk to send.vadafone .net but that didn't help.
Tried Tiscali Mail but apparently my inbox is empty although it's set to retain all emails on the server until I delete them.

This will have to wait, I'm off out!

Pat
 For Rattle...Help please - RattleandSmoke
It was a long time ago but check that the SMTP settings in Outloook require a password, a username and password, they should be the same as the incoming one.

I think last time the problem was that you couldn't send emails at all either via a dongle or your home broadband. One of the reasons this happens is because when you use a dongle it is a often a different ISP, so the ISP is weary of letting you send emails via SMTP in case your a spammer, but settings usually fix it.

The other fix is webmail as already suggested.
 For Rattle...Help please - smokie
Your using Outlook? Should be easy - delete the Profile (Control Panel I think) and create a new one. You'll need to know your settings (smtp, POP, username, password etc) but it doesn't take long.

In fact don't even bother deleting the old one. Just make a new one, if it works then delete the old one.
 For Rattle...Help please - Zero
Tiscali only allows you to send email in two ways.

One is via your broadband connection only and the other is via the webmail site.
 For Rattle...Help please - RattleandSmoke
It has worked before, when I looked it, I knew it wasn't an SMTP problem. But it may be that Pat's account was using a legacy SMPT server, and now they have applied the new rules.

For what is worth I pay £10+VAT for a mailbox with SMPT to avoid these problems.
 For Rattle...Help please - Stuartli
Zero has mentioned Tiscali (now part of TalkTalk), so your line: "I can receive emails but have to forward an email with PDF attachment to someone and the same old problem is back" just might have a connection with TT's MTU setting, assuming Tiscali also now uses the same configuration.

This should be 1432; I had a similar problem with TT about four years ago with sending e-mails, especially those with attachments, plus some web page downloads, and the original MTU setting of 1458 (or similar) was eventually discovered to be the cause. One I changed it to 1432 all my problems disappeared instantly.

See: www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/55/68/ and

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/56/68/
 For Rattle...Help please - Fursty Ferret
Some broadband providers block port 25 (SMTP, for sending email - not receiving) to deal with zombie computers sending spam. Don't know if this still goes on, or which providers do it. Been a Gmail user for many years now.
Just a quick update here.

I have eliminated the Vodafone dongle being a cause of the problem.

We moved sites from Boscastle down to Looe yesterday back on our usual spot that has wifi, and the problem still exists.

I can use webmail but since Talk Talk have taken over Tiscali there ia a new page for webmail and there are no contacts whatsoever in my address book making it a pain to email anyone.

The original email with the attachment I had to send was a scanned copy of a couple of analogue tachograph charts so it couldn't even be typed out and sending it on the dongle was painfully slow via webmail.

I seem to have this problem each year on holiday, or when staying away from home in a hotel, but on reflection, I never use the laptop for email unless I am away from home, so it exists all the time I think.

I hasten to add that the change of location to here

www.looebaycaravans.co.uk/webcam.htm

was because we missed it and not to cure the problem:)

Pat
 For Rattle...Help please - Manatee
Pat,

Zero's explanation that Tiscali will only allow you to access SMTP from your home broadband number seems to fit the problem here, so you might be stuck with webmail.

As for the dongle - FWIW, I have an O2 dongle which more often than not either doesn't work or connects at dial up speed. I have now given up with it and bought a "3" MiFi.

Apart from being much more convenient and untemperamental, it's a lot faster. Even on 3G it's faster than I get on my home broadband. I can also put it on a high shelf or a window ledge to get a better signal as it's wireless. Obviously there will be places that it doesn't work, but I've been lucky so far.

Contacts - if you open 'Contacts' in webmail, is there an option to import contacts? Gmail does this and I imported all my contacts from my mail client straight into my Gmail contacts list.

Have a good holiday!
Latest Forum Posts