Non-motoring > Working Tax credits Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 15

Working Tax credits - Stuu
We applied recently but have heard nothing, but just now I checked our joint account and a mysterious £7.96 has materialised, on closer inspection, its WTC.

Only we have had not a shread of paperwork from them - is that how they work? Im abit wary of money that arrives in our account but no paperwork informing of quite why its there, what the amount is for. I know of course why its there, but it seems odd that they dont even tell you your approved before they wire you money.

Im also perplexed by the amount as we ticked monthly payments, which works out around the £34 a month level, the minimum so we were told. £7.96 paid weekly over the year is about £34 ish.

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, or WTC?
 Working Tax credits - Robin O'Reliant
The award starts going into your account before you get the notification through the post. Expect it sometime in the next month.
Ah right thanks very much, Im very wary dealing with the gov, they have something of a reputation of raining terror down on the misfortunate, so I wanted to be sure it was normal practice.

Thanks again, I can sleep tonight :-)
 Working Tax credits - Manatee
Maybe they gave you a part-month, and it will turn in to a regular £34 monthly?
 Working Tax credits - nyx2k
Maybe they gave you a part-month, and it will turn in to a regular £34 monthly?

they normally give you the part month so then they can pay the whole month on the same date for all the claimants.
 Working Tax credits - Roger.
I'm dead chuffed we have just been given a small, but welcome, council tax rebate!
Pensioners - the new poor!
 Working Tax credits - -
>> I'm dead chuffed we have just been given a small, but welcome, council tax rebate!
>> Pensioners - the new poor!
>>

Pleased for you Roger, enjoy getting some back.

Part of the reason i packed in my previous job was so i could hopefully live long enough to get back some of the dosh taken forcibly from me by the govt/councils to fund those too bone idle to work, MP's fiddles, foreign wars, councillors jollies/ex's and foreign dictators.
The only fly in this ointment is just how far they'll push retirment age to fund the failing eurozone and it's fallout...i may not keep up.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 07:41
 Working Tax credits - Clk Sec
>>Pensioners - the new poor!

And they're likely to remain poor if the 'two-tier' pension scheme is introduced in the not too distant future.
>>The only fly in this ointment is just how far they'll push retirment age to fund the failing eurozone and it's fallout...i may not keep up<<

Indeed. Im fully expecting to retire at 70+, although by then perhaps ill live to 90+ with 30 years of medicine advances to help.
I sort of see the problem with public sector pensions, rather like I think it was JC describing General Motors as a pensions provider who happen to make cars, the UK is a pension provider that happens to be a national economy.

Ive come to accept that there are no easy answers, unless we have a massive political shift away from centre politics and a whole different way of doing things happens.
 Working Tax credits - Iffy
...the UK is a pension provider that happens to be a national economy...

Wise words from the man with a chammy.

I concluded a few years ago it's a good thing I like my job, because I may never be allowed to retire from it.

Working Tax credits - Bigtee
Can this be claimed by both parents if they both have 50/50 shared residence?

Thats sleep overs etc.

Also child allowance??

At current all claimed by Mother.!
Last edited by: Swamp Donkey on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 10:05
WTC are separate from Child Tax Credits, so quite possible to claim them alongside eachother, although you have to declare what other payments you are getting on the forms.
 Working Tax credits - Falkirk Bairn
State pension time - reminder letter today to phone re impending 65th birthday - 10 mins / painless telephone call.

Prompt answer to my phone call, quick and polite service from a government department!
 Working Tax credits - Roger.
The most efficient, helpful and knowledgeable government department I have EVER dealt with is the Overseas Pensions Dept. of the Pension Service, based in Newcastle-on-Tyne.
The 'phone was invariably answered quickly by a real person, information was accurate and promised actions were always carried out.
An additional benefit was the rather charming Geordie accent of the staff!
 Working Tax credits - Dave_
Stu:

My CTC and WTC is paid weekly so I don't have any experience of how they organise the monthly payments, but they are very quick at setting up and changing payment schedules (2 working days from phone call) whilst they post all documents out 2nd class which can take up to a couple of weeks to arrive. They divide payments up into time periods, so your first payment will be a part payment covering the tail end of the time period in which you phoned them. Your regular full payments will then go in on the specified day every month.

If you were previously entitled to TCs but hadn't claimed them, the first payment can contain an amount covering the previous 12 weeks - in some case several hundred pounds - so it's well worth checking your entitlement if you have children.

Swamp Donkey:

I *think* tax credits can only be claimed by the parent with residence, i.e. the recipient of Child Benefit for the child. If the child's home is divided truly 50/50 (child spends 182 nights a year with each parent) then the situation can be more complicated - CTC is usually paid to the mum, WTC to the dad, but not always. Is maintenance paid from one parent to the other? If so, which way round?

Both of you:

My email is in my profile if you don't wish to share too many details in open forum. I've experienced most permutations of tax credits and indeed family arrangements over the last few years, so I have some experience in the field.

Hth.
>>CTC is usually paid to the mum, WTC to the dad, but not always<<

As I understand it, WTC is based on overall household income, so in theory, if the childrens parents live apart in separate households, they are both entitled.
My sons mother claims hers and as a separate unit, my wife and I claim ours.

WTC does seem to be based on how many hours you work too ( 30 plus hours ) so a single mum say, who doesnt work that many hours may not be entitled to much, but if the estranged father does work full time, he may well be, so it could appear as if mums dont get it - my ex earns just under the threashold in full time work so she does qualify.
Latest Forum Posts