Non-motoring > TV Remote Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 32

TV Remote - Pat
After a stormy and wet journey down the M5 yesterday where the CRV broke all previous records at using fuel, we arrived in Boscastle to find we'd forgotten the remote for the caravan TV.

This won't worry us at all until next saturday as the only time we watch it is to watch the MOTOGP from Assen.

It was only when erecting the aerial we realised we'd left it at home.

Thinking we could re tune the Freeview with the buttons on the TV itself we didn't realise it would be a problem.

Until it wants the PIN Code entering and you have to use the remote to do this.

Is there a way round this?

Is there such a thing as a universal TV remote we can look out for during the course of the weeks travels?

Pat

TV Remote - Dutchie
Don't know about remotes Pat.Glad you mentioned about Assen I like to watch the race next week.

My brother lives in Assen and I have been to the race course.
 TV Remote - R.P.
That's the Celtic god of holidays (Gwyliauws) punishing you for not coming to Wales.

The answer is you should be able to get an universal remote from one of the big electrical retailers - or a good electrical shop.
 TV Remote - BiggerBadderDave
And don't forget to updated your post in the "How much does your holiday cost" thread.

...plus £30, TV remote...
 TV Remote - Iffy
......plus £30, TV remote...

Plus £100 to a computer hacker to bring down a sarky northern git's website.

TV Remote - RattleandSmoke
You can get them from pound shops but they are too much of a gamble, but any of the £10-£12 ones should do the job fine. What make and model is the freeview box?
 TV Remote - MD
As a brief aside don't forget (as Pat said) the Moto GP is SATURDAY next week not Sunday. We might see Marco with stabilisers. 0:)
 TV Remote - bathtub tom
Do you need the digi-box?

Can you get an analogue signal where you are, or do you need the digi-box for the channel you want?
 TV Remote - Iffy
My Sky remote will also control the television, but it needs a model-specific code to do so.

No sure if that's relevant to Pat's problem, but if her telly came with the caravan, it might be a little-known brand.

I don't know if the universal remotes need any tuning in, probably worth looking at the instructions before investing.

TV Remote - Dog
Ditch the blimming telly - you're on holiday for gawds sake, goan do the walk from Boscastle 2 Crackington Haven.

And get the bus back.

Or, bring the subject up in the washrooms - someone will be able to help.
 TV Remote - Golf_Paul

Find a nice pub with a telly :)
 TV Remote - Dutchie
Good point about tellys on holiday first Diana checks is the telly working?

I feel like trowing the thing out the window so nice not to hear or see all the drivel for a few weeks.Mind you I was watching a good DVD the other night 127 hrs by Danny Boyle.
 TV Remote - bathtub tom

Find a nice bikers pub with a telly :)
 TV Remote - Runfer D'Hills
Some might think this odd but I try very hard when I'm on holiday not to watch TV or read a newspaper, listen to the radio, switch on a mobile phone or use a computer.

I actually like not knowing what's happening for a while.

Psychiatrists will no doubt have a name for this condition.
 TV Remote - Dog
>>Psychiatrists will no doubt have a name for this condition<<

They do, it's called soundness of mind.
 TV Remote - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Psychiatrists will no doubt have a name for this condition.
>>

I think you are living too much in your mind Humph. You are so carried away by your diagnosis of colour/number associations that you are starting to imagine other pyschological conditions too. :)
 TV Remote - AnotherJohnH
>> Do you need the digi-box?

If you're down in Devon/Cornwall, yes: post digital switch-over - analogue is off.
 TV Remote - Iffy
...Do you need the digi-box?...

I think it's a telly with a built-in Freeview tuner.

Don't suppose that makes any difference.

TV Remote - Stuartli
>>You can get them from pound shops but they are too much of a gamble>>

Actually the small remote controls from the 99p shops (basically channel change and volume control) really do work.

I know because my wife used to have dialysis three times a week and those attending had an individual TV for their use. Gradually the remote controls disappeared, so the husband of one patient tried a 99p one. Worked perfectly once he worked out how to set it for particular TV manufacturers and soon he was buying four or five at a time...:-)

The only other universal remote control I've found to work was a £6 one from Lidl.
 TV Remote - AnotherJohnH
>> Until it wants the PIN Code entering and you have to use the remote to do this.

>> Is there a way round this?

Give us a clue what the make and model is - a friendly manual may then be found on line, or some chat about what third party remotes work with it.
 TV Remote - Pat
It's a Technika with built in Freeview.

Pat
 TV Remote - VxFan
I can control approx 80% of my Technika TV with my Sky+ remote.

Is there an Argos or Tesco nearby?

Why not use their 30-day money-back guarantee (Argos), or 28-day money-back guarantee (Tesco)

;o)

TV Remote - Pat
Now there's a thought VX:)

Although it might be a good idea to just leave the new remote in the caravan all year, it's bound to happen again.

We'll have a look round today but there's plenty of time before Saturdays race!

Pat
 TV Remote - rtj70
Make sure whatever remote you get allows you access to the setup menus to tune the TV. Controlling the basics with a universal remote should be fine but not all universal remotes have a button for the menus.
 TV Remote - Duncan
Is'nt Technika Teso's own brand?
 TV Remote - Stuartli
>>Is'nt Technika Teso's own brand?>>

It is. But Tesco merely re-badges an OEM's products with its own name. One manufacturer it uses is Philix, which produces a number of computer and audio visual peripherals. One of its best known brand names is Labgear:

www.labgear.co.uk/

Medion, of Aldi fame, is another that doesn't actually manufacture anything, but re-badges or specifies its requirements from OEMs; it is, in fact, a German based distributor.
 TV Remote - AnotherJohnH
There's another solution to the problem if a suitable remote control can't be found - provided the TV has a scart socket, you could buy a cheap set top box (£20 or less) and use that to feed the TV for the duration.

I imagine you could find a use for it at home after DSO.

I had a look for a manual and the likely models appear to need the remote to enter "set-up" mode (but it is a bit tricky to be absolutely certain without the model number).
 TV Remote - Pat
Problem solved:)

We passed an Argos yesterday and bought a remote for just £7-99.

TV and aerial now set up and working ready for Saturdays race.

Thanks VX, I think we'll keep it in the caravan now though and not take it back after the holiday!

Pat
 TV Remote - Dog
Is that Woman lorry driver about I wonder ~ www.bing.com/

Only applies to 23rd of June.
 TV Remote - Pat
She was at daybreak on midsummers day;)

I love the moor, it was wild and windy.

Pat
 TV Remote - Dog
>>I love the moor, it was wild and windy.<<

Tis that alright! ... I've just come back from 'so called' civilisation (Truro etc.)

Soooooooo much cooler up here & more peaceful ... far from the madding crowd :)

TV Remote - Clk Sec
>> ... far from the madding crowd :)

I'll bet you're not very far from the nearest pub, though.

TV Remote - Dog
>>I'll bet you're not very far from the nearest pub, though<<

Stumbling distance :)

Latest Forum Posts