Non-motoring > Another music thread. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 25

Another music thread. - Ted

After the music of your preference, I wondered what would be your favourite instrument.

I think I would plump for the piano, I love the music of Chopin, Hummel, and concertos by Mendelson, Shostakovitch,(sp) Grieg and of cousre, the master, Rachmaninov.

Another favourite is the harp, a recent memory found this on Youtube...We listened to it all the time when it was in the charts, early 60s I think Anyone else remember it ?.
I know I had it on 45 rpm single.......it might even have made no.1.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7kpL5wk-XE

I'm not too keen on the brass instruments as solo performers but I enjoyviolin, oboe and cello.

Ted
 Another music thread. - ....
I'm surprised you have Hummel in there as someone who is not too keen on Brass.

Here is my Grade 7 piece:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8H8CSojis

All due respect for your choice of thread though !

Brass is my thing, my favourite is:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8H8CSojis

After achieving grade 8 and seeing this guy I wanted to throw my trumpet under a steam roller !!!
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 19 Jun 11 at 00:24
I meant:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jDld11jhw&playnext=1&list=PL9DD145A331C156E6

In case of failure, Wynton Marsalis Carnival of Venice.

However, my favourite of all time is:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pkRH2DZuw

116 bars rest in the pub ! Heaven...
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 19 Jun 11 at 00:34

I just can't really appreciate the solo brass, don't know why.
I really rate the Hummel piano concertos, . ( anyone christened with the middle name Nepomuk has to have a talent ! ) I have them played by Howard Shelley. Well worth a listen

Another I forgot is Stenhammer's Piano No !...brilliant piece.

I must say I'm very ford of the Rimsky K. Played it a lot with SWMBO2B when we were stepping out together !

Ted
Brass is most certainly an aquired taste even among the brass fraternity.
Still love it myself, but it is an aquired taste. Bit like Metallica realy ! :-)

Rimsky K though, he is something else...
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 19 Jun 11 at 01:00
 Another music thread. - Lygonos

tinyurl.com/what-about-drums

Some of the youchoob comments contain swearies, dont read them if it bothers you!
 Another music thread. - smokie
I'd love to play piano well, and bass guitar, but few years back I bought a Traps electronics drum kit. I've been tapping away occasionally and quite successfully (I think!) to my favourite tunes but have recently started to fill my evenings (as I am working away from home) by taking drum lessons once a week - only had two so far, and I don't get much time to practice, but my technique is definitely improving.

For listening to, I love a good bit of blues sax, but have no desire to play.
Acoustic guitar for me. I would love to be able to play but as you know finding the time to do it properly when you have work and family is difficult.

The best things in life are not easy and I do miss playing music. One day I will do it again.
 Another music thread. - Dog
I love this geezer sooooooo much, I could kiss him!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0VxhC3koxQ&feature=related

Although I've been playing the guitar since I was 8 (50 years!) I still learned from him.

Anyone could pick this 12 bar blues bit up, even my dog can play it.
 Another music thread. - smokie
Love the comments to that link Dog, even though they contain offensive words. Why oh why do people feel the need to say anything when they can't say something useful? (Maybe that's why - they just aren't capable of useful thoughts)
I didn't read them this time smokie, but I know what you mean allright, shame really.
 Another music thread. - Dutchie
I used to play the mandoline a little.One of my uncles is musical plays the trombone and piano.

Also the mouth organ drove my brother crazy always ended up scrapping.;)
 Another music thread. - Iffy
Someone will mention Bert Weedon in a minute.

Looks like they are still flogging Play in a Day:

www.bertweedon.com/playinaday.htm
Thanks for the link Dog. Makes it look really simple though I know it's not otherwise we'd all be great guitarists.

I know what you mean smokie about the comments. I was thinking the same thing. Why ?
I must admit I was also looking for my sweet lord at the time too, but glad I found vguitar07

Here's my sweet lord ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjCkgLKy9p4 for the more advanced.
 Another music thread. - Robin O'Reliant
I'd love to play the banjo in a C&W band.
 Another music thread. - corax
I don't really have one favourite instrument. It depends what's playing. I tend to like music in the minor chords, so anything with a dark edge. I love stuff that is bass guitar driven, also I like the earlier sound of analogue synthesisers on anything electronic. Rachmaninov's incredible range on the piano with his large hands.

Even instruments that I traditionally wouldn't like - someone comes along and plays it in a completely different context and I think wow, I never knew it could sound like that.
 Another music thread. - Golf_Paul

... I wondered what would be your favourite instrument.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned harpsichord yet.

I like the harpsichord to some extent but I find it a little repetetive...I have a couple of Scarlatti discs.
I love the mandolin and I'd really like to take piano lessons.. There is a piano teacher living just up the road. She's very accomplished but sadly a divorced, alcoholic nympho about 4 yrs younger than me............on the other hand, it might be useful to get BBD round for a recce !

I like impromtu performances by skilful people who can pull out a harmonica or sit at the piano and liven up a party.

Ted
>> but sadly a divorced, alcoholic nympho about 4 yrs younger than me,<<

Could you give her my email address friend, we could make sweet music together.

:-D
 Another music thread. - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like you could get her to show you a thing or two for the price of some Tescos own label Ted.
 Another music thread. - BiggerBadderDave
"I like impromtu performances by skilful people who can pull out a harmonica or sit at the piano and liven up a party."

I pulled out my organ at a party once and I was asked to leave.
 Another music thread. - Dutchie
Very funny Dave ha ha I'm not surprised you was asked to leave problaby kicked out:)

I'm not surprised Dave.......people can be very unforgiving.
I entered a Labrador at Crufts but , unfortunately, someone saw me ! I got removed too !

Ted
 Another music thread. - busbee
gmac: Great trumpet solo. The lass makes it look so easy. What talent.

My favourite orchestra is/was James Last. You don't here much about how many discs he sold but he is well up there with the best.

Here is what I call a bit of class.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECt2bErTFk&feature=related

A concert in Vienna. Fantastic architecture. Fantastic music.
The Andre Rieu orchestra. It seems to have a similar following.

It would be nice to see this sort of stuff on the BBC but no chance.

We are now well into the age of scruffs, lots of noise with everything, Persons jumping up and down whilst 'playing' a guitar making hideous sounds.

I can't reach for the off switch quick enough.
 Another music thread. - Lygonos
"We are now well into the age of scruffs, lots of noise with everything, Persons jumping up and down whilst 'playing' a guitar making hideous sounds. "

I think you'll find this type of music has been around since the beginning of humanity - see also "folk music".
Latest Forum Posts