Non-motoring > Posts - and posters - I remember Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 73

Posts - and posters - I remember - Iffy
There are some posts and posters which stick in my mind.

Some might be from here, some from the other place, but all for some reason have not been forgotten.

One guy I recall was Tack, who despite being a retired copper, seemed to be getting into lots of trouble with former colleagues over where he pointed his new camera.

I think he had a new VW Golf, and last I heard was pursuing an official complaint against the police.

Essex/Epping Forest area rings a bell.

Then there was a guy who said he had a BMW 530i, I think his forum name was 530i.

For whatever reason, several other posters - including me - formed the opinion he did not have this car.

Don't know what it was, but it just didn't feel right.

I reckon he was lying, and did so because he thought he wouldn't be taken seriously in a motoring forum unless he had a tasty car.

Are there any posting exchanges or posters - probably long gone - which stick in your mind?

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 17 Jun 11 at 09:28
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Cliff Pope
It's a curious thing, but I do have the impression that all the posters here are real people. A picture gradually builds up in one's mind, and in all cases I think of, it is a consistent picture.

I can think of numerous examples on other forums where many posters seem to be false, deliberately trying to put over a persona that is artificial.

I can think of one who seemed to have a split personality, writing in one of two different styles. I finally decided it was actually two different people, perhaps work colleagues using the same name, and I felt sure, one male and one female.
I made this observation on the forum at one point, and received no response. But after that one of the personalities disappeared, and the poster thereafter remained consistently as if a single real person.
So perhaps I had scored a hit.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - rtj70
There were a few posters on the old forum that had multiple aliases. One or two used to ask questions and respond to themselves! I kid you not. And one once posted a question and then continued to discuss it with his other alias.

I think all on here are real people - one or two had other aliases on HJ I suspect.
One person I thought might come over was Cattleman6. I wonder if he did buy any of the cars he was thinking of or did he stick with the old car. Something like a Seat Toledo maybe?
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Mike Hannon
I wonder what happened to Murphy the Cat?
Every time I see a Plumber's Bentley (Chrysler 300C) I think of him. Not that I see very many...
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Hard Cheese

SJB, he had a Volvo V70 2.4T augmented to make it a T5 beater and a Honda Hornet 600, four years ago he was regularly posting about driving the family to Poland in the Volvo (or wherever the wife was from), flying back and going off for a a few weeks in Europe with mates on his bike with the Millau Bridge on the agenda.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47930

His posts dried up suddenly ...

Posts - and posters - I remember - Robin O'Reliant
I wonder what Lada's Are Cool is up to these days?

A troll, but an amusing one till he started to get on everybody's nerves.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - captain chaos
Wonder what happened to Mr X?
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Runfer D'Hills
I miss Tooslow. Never confrontational, clearly intelligent, always polite but with a wickedly quiet sense of humour. Hope he's alright.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - WillDeBeest
Then there was a guy who said he had a BMW 530i, I think his forum name was 530i.

MichaelR? No, he never convinced me either.

Then there was OldHand, who once told me I was mistaken to prefer light interiors to gloomy black ones. What became of him? Probably still looking for his black glasses on his black carpet.
It was MichaelR was it?

Rings a bell now you come to mention it.

Another one I remember is Mike Torque - he said he was an RAF pilot.

I would be amazed if he wasn't - the character rang entirely true.
MichaelR it was I think. I don't think he had one. I don't think he was old enough to get insurance for one either.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - WillDeBeest
Well, he claimed to be a 20-year-old student, so perhaps he was running it on Daddy's money. It seemed to define his life, though - everything he wrote he described with reference to 'the 530i' - which made him rather hard to take seriously.

But then, we all pretend a little online, don't we? I'm actually a long-limbed, golden-skinned 19-year-old Slovenienne masquerading as a balding fortysomething British bloke.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Dog
And ... who remembers Paul2007 - a wind up merchant of The First Magnitude!!!
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Crankcase
*lights blue touchpaper*

jbif.

Posts - and posters - I remember - BobbyG
I see Blue reappeared on HJ - was he not a car salesman at one point or am I getting him mixed up, think it was Toyotas.
Yes Murphy disappeared.

No Do$h as well did a disappearing act.

Adam

Pologirl

I suppose people simply get a bit bored from time to time or find themselves doing other things.

I know I keep scolding myself about the amount of time I spend in front of computer screens. I don't even like it very much as a pastime but it is quite addictive. Like cigarettes in a way.

On that subject. I seem to have stopped. Not one since 12/05.

:-)
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Zero

>> On that subject. I seem to have stopped. Not one since 12/05.

You posted it at 12/33

28 minutes is pretty good for you I guess.

Heh heh !

No seriously, 12th of May and counting ! Quite chuffed with my weak willed self !

Posts - and posters - I remember - Armel Coussine
>> No seriously, 12th of May and counting !

Over a month... I'm impressed. That's about as well as I have ever done, and I must have 'given up' five or six times now.

I have to admit though that I thought the same as Zero, not as a joke but seriously. I thought it was you who were making the joke. Seriously.

Of course if you haven't had a coffin nail for a whole month it's hardly surprising you aren't making jokes.
I'm remarkably fffffine this tttttttime, hhhhhonestly. Quite cccccalm.

:-)

Seriously, strangely OK with it. I've spent two weeks of the past month in a location where cigs were less than a quarter of UK prices and wasn't even slightly tempted oddly enough.

Very strange indeed.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Dave_
>> I suppose people simply ... find themselves doing other things

I was a fairly prolific poster in 2003-4 when I lived on my own, and again since 2009. If I ever stop posting, please send out a search party to talk some sense into me before it's too late :)
 Posts - and posters - I remember - R.P.
Will do Dave.
There was a bloke who said he was a Toyota sales manager - can't remember his name.

I think he was genuine, but he once posted: "I'm happy to advise on any deals, but I can't sell you a car'.

Rubbish, of course, and just a bit too smarmy, even for a car salesman.

Posts - and posters - I remember - Soupytwist
I remember Blue - didn't he start out as Blue Oval as he was working at a Ford dealers? Also, if I remember rightly, the only poster who was openly gay.

Aprilia was also a valuable poster on HJ in my opinion. Seemed to know his stuff and was a great advocate of the Subaru brand and the older Nissan QX. His contributions dried up not long before the re-structure of the HJ site and he never reappeared as far as I can tell.
Last edited by: Soupytwist on Fri 17 Jun 11 at 12:50
 Posts - and posters - I remember - VxFan
>> Aprilia
>> His contributions dried up

Sorry to tarnish his reputation, but his aliases took the place of him. Mainly to highlight Fords diesel misfueling problems and premature failure of their fuel pumps.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Soupytwist
Really? I'm obviously too trusting!
Now you mention he did often point out the perceived shortcomings of Delphi(?) fuelling systems.

>> Really? I'm obviously too trusting!
>> Now you mention he did often point out the perceived shortcomings of Delphi(?) fuelling systems.
>>

That wasn't Aprilia, it was 659FBE

...it was 659FBE...

I think he's still posting in the other place.

As is another Ford diesel expert, CraigP130 or something like that.

>> Sorry to tarnish his reputation, but his aliases took the place of him. Mainly to highlight Fords diesel misfueling problems and premature failure of their fuel pumps.

This isn't the thread(s) I'm thinking of, but couple of his aliases are present in each of these.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45039
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46788

That place could really do with a decent forum search, just like the one here. Took me ages to find them, and they're not even the correct one I wanted. Just goes to show that trying to copy a bespoke forum is more trouble than it's worth. Rather than trying to mimic, they should have started again from scratch.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Jun 11 at 20:57
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Cliff Pope
>>>>
>> But then, we all pretend a little online, don't we? >>

Just a bit, but no more so than in real life. Everything's ultimately a pretence, isn't it? Good fun though. :)
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Dutchie
Everything is ultimate pretence .(quote.) I often wonder why some people pretend who they not are even on line.I f I sat in a pub who would I feel comfortable with or they with me.Difficult to acess on line.There are so many regular posters here who I take notice of and some I take with a pinch of salt.Pat is definetley in charge the power of a woman.;)
 Posts - and posters - I remember - BiggerBadderDave
"But then, we all pretend a little online, don't we?"

Not with me. I do my pretending in real life. For example when we're having dinner with the delicious high court judge over the road and her lawyer friends. I have to pretend I'm a respectable business owner and father of two who likes art and architecture and drinks in moderation. As opposed to a pervy northern twot who'd like to take her from behind over the dish washer when her husband's at work.

This forum is where I come to be the real me.
>> "But then, we all pretend a little online, don't we?"
>>
>> Not with me. I do my pretending in real life. For example when we're having
>> dinner with the delicious high court judge over the road and her lawyer friends. I
>> have to pretend I'm a respectable business owner and father of two who likes art
>> and architecture and drinks in moderation. As opposed to a pervy northern twot who'd like
>> to take her from behind over the dish washer when her husband's at work.

And the real tragedy of this tale? She wants a bit of rough, and needs to be taken over the kitchen table.

And you let your choice of kitchen appliance stop your dream becoming reality.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Jun 11 at 14:36
 Posts - and posters - I remember - captain chaos

>> And you let your choice of kitchen appliance stop your dream becoming reality.
>>
Washing machine on fast spin for a quickie...
...As opposed to a pervy northern twot who'd like to take her from behind over the dish washer when her husband's at work....

Pure fantasy for a northern twot - a house with a dishwasher.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Stuartli
>>Pure fantasy for a northern twot - a house with a dishwasher.>>

Every house has a dishwasher.....:-)
...Every house has a dishwasher.....:-)...

That would make it a threesome.

Posts - and posters - I remember - Old Navy
>> >>Pure fantasy for a northern twot - a house with a dishwasher.>>
>>
>> Every house has a dishwasher.....:-)
>>

Cheeky sod, my house has two. One is plumbed in and the other does not read this, I hope. :-)
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Stuartli
Perhaps she's a better judge of character than BiggerBadderDave believes...:-)

>> MichaelR it was I think. I don't think he had one. I don't think he
>> was old enough to get insurance for one either.
>>

As I recall Michael R posted pics of his 2ltr Mondeo and subsequently 530i Sport, reckon he was genuine.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - BiggerBadderDave
"As I recall Michael R posted pics of his 2ltr Mondeo and subsequently 530i Sport, reckon he was genuine."

Yeah I think he was genuine too. He was as arrogant an a-hole as you're likely to meet, but I found myself agreeing with a lot of his posts. I wonder how he's coping with life outside university.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Jetski
On the other site The Growler's posts I found interesting. A poster called The the or Bogus wound a few up and I remember in the early days Chris someone who was a bit of a bullshooter.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Mapmaker
THe Growler died, RIP.

I am sure MichaelR was genuine.

David HM and Patently.
Anyone remember Sean?

He had spelling and punctuation like mine, and spoke in BellBoy riddles, but was remarkably clued up about VW.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Bromptonaut
Patently was a helpful and informative poster & another habitue of 'legal london'.
>> On the other site The Growler's posts I found interesting. A poster called The the
>> or Bogus wound a few up and I remember in the early days Chris someone
>> who was a bit of a bullshooter.
>>
Chris White, who morphed into Lada's are Cool.

The other was Bogush, who started most of his posts with Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Was there someone called Vansboy?

Bought and sold vans for a living.

I was hoping someone mentioned in this thread would pop up and say: "That's me you're talking about."

There's still time.

Posts - and posters - I remember - Mike Hannon
It's a shame Dave Lacey doesn't post in technical on either site any more. He's one of the best techies I've ever known. Luckily he's a personal friend but he's out of the trade now - in civil engineering with his f-i-l.

How about Rover 3500S (I think it was)? - the last man to stand up for Austin Rover, right up until it all fell apart.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 17 Jun 11 at 17:08
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Fullchat
Mark - Brazil. Is he still around in another guise?
>> Mark - Brazil. Is he still around in another guise?
>>
Sort of.

He changed his HJ username to FMR2 or something similar and made a brief appearance here when it first started but doesn't appear to have stayed.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Phil I
Mark RLBS et al is v. busy man

Dave Lacey I think still posts to MG-Rover.org

Bogush (not Bogus) I miss for his rants but we exchanged some off forum mails which
threw a totally different perspective on his thoughts.

Aprillia - again same category as Mark - only so much time in the day or night.

The Growler - RIP - lots of off forum stuff when he was looking for his daughter's education needs. Have lost touch with his family tho:-(

Happy Motoring Phil I
I think Mark has popped in a few times here over the past 12 months. But still seems a busy person.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - MD
Bogush.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - MD
Paul my cats tinks. Where is he now I wonder??
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Bromptonaut
Paul Mycatztinks and Chris P Crisps!!
"Anal bender" was a phrase in one memorable post that one of the Lacey brothers posted....
 Posts - and posters - I remember - PhilW
HF (Helpless Female)?
And those 2 guys who were mobile mechanics I think who gave me some very good technical advice at various times
 Posts - and posters - I remember - smokie
I always like the name Toad of Toad Hall. Can't remember much about his posts though.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - bathtub tom
Parp! Parp!
I'm often on t'other side.

What do you lot think of Bobbin Threadbare, amongst others?

Someone the management's brought in to up interest?
Spotted the name on my last visit. Probably Sarah in disguise.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Bobbin Threadbare
No Tom, I assure you not. Just a lass whose husband said 'for goodness' sake woman, stop talking about cars all the time!'. So I had to find someone else to talk to about them. You lot'll do. I found HJ because I read the Telegraph. My username is from a very old LucasArts computer game called Loom.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Ted

Hmmmm,Lass.

I just can't help thinking of your spoonerism....Throbbin Bedbare !

Ahem.

Ted
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Bobbin Threadbare
Calm yourself down Ted.
>> Parp! Parp!

Good grief. Who gave me an offensive report for that?

Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 17 Jun 11 at 23:16
A toad?
Buster cambelt was a good handle by someone over there.

If they had a decent forum search that worked and put the list into date order then I'm sure we could come up with more.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - Armel Coussine
>> Who gave me an offensive report for that?

Perhaps someone who remembered that the real Toad said 'Poop! Poop!'

Or has the swear filter become coprophobic? Only time will tell.

By the way bt: don't give a second thought to the little red faces. The more you get, the better you are. Stands to reason dunnit? The real dog's whassernames is yellow though.
There was a long running thread about the little Colt CZ convertible.

A poster called Welshlad was most active, but there were a few others whose names I forget.

Yes iffy, I was thinking of him the other day, the dealership where he bought that little car is a few miles away, I see the occasional one around here. Often wondered whether it's him and whether Colt solved the leaky roof situation.
From memory, the thread was started by Falkirk Bairn and it ran to seven volumes of 100 or so posts.

Biggest one I ever saw in the other place, although I was only there for a year or so before this started.

The thread that started on the day of 9/11 is the one I remember as turning the HJ forum from something where people posted mainly about car tech issues into the clubable place it became. Sudenly posters who were just annonymous forum names seemed to become real people united in shock as the horrors unfolded and the thread lengthened with lightening speed.
 Posts - and posters - I remember - The Melting Snowman
I found MichaelR's posts quite genuine. IIRC his BMW was high mileage so it would have been cheap. Also maybe his parents helped out, as is their duty and privilege. He came across as quite hard work at times but he had a strong dislike of Vauxhall, particularly the Vectra, so maybe wasn't all bad :-)

I quite miss No_FM2R's posts. Some mischievous people found that he was easy to wind up.

Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 14:24
Latest Forum Posts